Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Cold, hard truth: The future of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Profender View Post
    A ratio per active people from each company? for a line infantry company 1 scoped rifle for active in-game 25 members perhaps. If you read about the limited amount of scoped rifles handed out that would make sense. And then a larger ratio for the actual sharpshooting companies.

Quote:
    "In addition to his regular routine of drill and inspection, his interest in sharpshooting when his Division allocated five whitworth rifles imported from England"
    Once weapon limiting is in (won't make it in the initial limitation implementation) we'll be able to limit each weapon available in a certain regiment based on percentages.

- Trusty

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Once weapon limiting is in (won't make it in the initial limitation implementation) we'll be able to limit each weapon available in a certain regiment based on percentages.

- Trusty
    very happy to hear that thank you

I'm going to create a rant of questions on server hosting at some point. In short, I hope many things will be customizable for the sake of hosting different events and scenarios. From base spawn times to 'classes' allowed on every map, even the official maps. It's always a shame to have a certain map in a game where you can't do something that would be awesome, even on occasion. And you've got different opinions on what is realistic and it'd be a good experiment besides to see how the weapons or classes perform in different scenarios or with different base spawn times or different team sizes or just making an ultra-realism one-life event by merely disabling spawning or making the spawn time 9999. In my opinion there should be suggested default options and but they should definitely be modifiable whether easy or not without requiring a new version of a map to be downloaded by the player.

Quote Originally Posted by DomDowg View Post
    If the servers maybe hold 500-1000 people...
    I think 500-1000 players in a server is a crackpipe fantasy. I'd name my first kid "War of Rights" if they could pull that off. I'd be happy if they could double the current max for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I think as soon as the game opens up to the public it will open the floodgates and every casual with play just to fart around and have fun and no they will not coordinate with the team or set up lines. They will most likely hide in bushes and snipe people and melee non stop. A simple fix to this would be to have the option of having private servers so the large companies and associations that take it seriously and roleplay can do so without being invaded by randoms.
    That's what I'm trying to avoid personally. Because when you have to do that it means it's not competitive any longer and that's standard conditions in realism communities. You have the unwashed masses playing a messy game then you have the realism unit people hold up in their servers secretly hating each other for always pushing the rules. Once I fix up some videos I'll finish my morale thread.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 08-05-2017 at 02:09 PM.

The max server size will never exceed 400, and even that is pretty wishful.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I'm going to create a rant of questions on server hosting at some point. In short, I hope many things will be customizable for the sake of hosting different events and scenarios. From base spawn times to 'classes' allowed on every map, even the official maps. It's always a shame to have a certain map in a game where you can't do something that would be awesome, even on occasion. And you've got different opinions on what is realistic and it'd be a good experiment besides to see how the weapons or classes perform in different scenarios or with different base spawn times or different team sizes or just making an ultra-realism one-life event by merely disabling spawning or making the spawn time 9999. In my opinion there should be suggested default options and but they should definitely be modifiable whether easy or not without requiring a new version of a map to be downloaded by the player.

I think 500-1000 players in a server is a crackpipe fantasy. I'd name my first kid "War of Rights" if they could pull that off. I'd be happy if they could double the current max for now.

That's what I'm trying to avoid personally. Because when you have to do that it means it's not competitive any longer and that's standard conditions in realism communities. You have the unwashed masses playing a messy game then you have the realism unit people hold up in their servers secretly hating each other for always pushing the rules. Once I fix up some videos I'll finish my morale thread.
    I agree whole-heartedly. Spreading out the player base is not beneficial in anyway.
    Captain Adam G. Malloy, 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company A

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Well all kinda modern Things are being invented, look at the amazing telegraf . . . Progress is certain. Recently i heard about this guy called Gatling. He is suposed to have invented a mecanical device that can fire 60 shoots a min, just operated by one man, turning a handel rapidly. 60 shoots ! No one might have belived that, just a few years ago . . . I am sure this weapon will end all wars

Meelee combat is going to be a big part of the game and I hope the devs are ready to deal with that. Making the transition to meelee slow and cumbersome is only putting the advantage to the lunatic running around in meelee mode all the time. I get the coolness of having the various stances of holding your musket... yet it makes little-to-no sense to move in anything but meelee mode with your bayonet on if you're even going to be remotely close to the enemy. It's as fast or a faster transition to aim your musket than the fancier marching stances. The very act of "oh meelee isn't going to be a big part of the game" is what is going to make it a big part of the game if the devs don't give reasons not to just close in all the time. Rest assured that more players on a server is going to do diddly squat to change the fact that the bayonet is a much faster way to kill than the musket if you know how to use it.

Standing in line of battle shrouded in your own side's smoke, unable to effectively hit targets (if you can even see them) is going to make closing in with the bayonet much more enticing. It's always going to happen more than reality in a video game but it doesn't have to be nonstop bayoneting parties.

I'll explain later why I think the best thing for this problem and the game in general is a morale system in the thread I started on morale. http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...-to-harness-it

Additionally after you thrust a bayonet into someone you should have a longer moment of vulnerability to recover. There also needs to be slashing or whacking with your rifle which is more of an area attack and less of a point and hit. Too many shooters have the kind of point and aim meelee attacks that allow people to slide right by them and it becomes a messy blob. Current meelee can often be a bizarre sort of aerial dog fighting where people are charging around in meelee mode all over the place. Standing still is what gets you killed real fast. You're already seeing zig-zagging widely used. Some people don't even fire their muskets before charging. It doesn't help that every fence seems to be a wall that can't be penetrated, yet also doesn't steady your musket if you're against it.

Disorganized impulse is rewarded and as I said before.... one guy charging and selecting his target reloading on a line can stop the whole line from reloading or to break ranks (not that ranks serve any purpose presently). You aren't able to effectively react fast enough. The idea of beginning a reload sequence so close to an enemy is very dangerous, especially when it is as disorienting as it is. You also can't do it when you're moving. I think it's crucial to have various reloading animations and times... including while moving. Also (with morale) fumbling.

The problem for me is that, not only is it unhistorical, but tactics go out the window in close combat in any game. There are no tactics when its just a series of 1v1 meelee matchups with some occasional backstabbing. There is far more tactical purpose and maneuvering at longer ranges. It's a normal impulse for immature and mature players alike to want to close in on the enemy, it's far worse and results in meelee way more often with single-shot weapons.

I was using a breechloader for almost all of this footage below. It shows every death on one whole map after the first clip. The last clip kind of sums it up. I've been trying different stuff to counter meelee (other than meelee), including falling back and being more cautious moving forward. Everything is leading me to the conclusion that I need to get good at either meelee or running away.

This is basically what WoR will be like 50% of the time and 100% of the time in a map like West Woods. Not just to pick on this game... it's a problem in all other linear combat games as well. This is also continuing the stereotype of the savage hand-to-hand fighting in the Civil War that is ever-present sullying the memory of ordinary, underappreciated bloodshed. Bayonets may get old to some and many may consider it lame to use but a constant stream of new people needed to sustain a game will make its use unrelenting. Every honest WoR AAR will have the phrase "...including vicious hand-to-hand combat" because there's nothing to prevent any random person from closing in.
    NSFW probably:
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 08-09-2017 at 07:24 AM.

CSA Major

They should add an animation for when you stab with the bayonet instead of just having the enemy soldier drop instantly. They should also add a delay to simulate the bayonet getting lodged into the abdomen of the enemy soldier.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

When talking about melee - I wish there will be a game, where you injure others by your "idle" pointing bayonet. It is ridiculous, that you harmlessly bounce when you hit someone, while running at him with your bayonet aiming at him (in a "charge"). It is even more funny, when someone hit you at your bayonet ready (when you are in "melee stance") and nothing happens.

It is really strange, that single "click" of LMB magicaly transfers harmless (rubber?) bayonet into deadly steel weapon, but just for a fraction of secong and then, the bayonet becomes blunt harmless object again...

It would be wonderful if some kind of "impact demage" based on actual speed in the moment of colision is implemented and the magic LMB only increases the demage. Friendly or fou should be harmed by just hitting your "idle" bayonet in melee stance (or even "at the ready" and crouch stances) - this would make "march" stance practicaly useful as it was IRL. Soldiers were not running with bayonets pointing straight because they wanted to avoid friendly injuries.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    You may want to rethink this.

According to this bit of information, there are apparent server architectures with massive populations exceeding by magnitudes your count.

My hope is that the developers look to those sites for direction on building the future server architecture of WoR.