Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World War One Museum

CSA Major

World War One Museum

Just thinking about this today, but there are not many WW1 museums here in America that I know of, so I thought about starting one once I get the money and property.

Instead of a museum where you go and read and see items from the period it would be a living history type museum.

Customers would walk through actual trenches while living historians wearing authentic gear would be their guide and lead them through the trenches talking about all the war and the history about it.

As the tour goes on, events would take place, things like artillery bombardments, gunshots, gas attacks, etc. This would give some real feeling and immersion to the customer and help the better experience what it was like during the war.

I'd also have many volunteer actors who would portray soldiers doing their normal dutys and going over the top, being wounded, etc.

-Customer gets to entrance of museum and pays to get in, then they would be given a gas mask and head to the rear area (reserve trenches maybe or field hospital)

-while they are in the rear they would experience life of the soldiers there, they would see the hospitals, etc. all the while hearing commotion at the front.

-then they would head throughout the different trenches, experiencing life in each one.

-once they hit the frontline many different things could happen, the guide may trigger gas and yell for everyone to put their gas mask on. or he could trigger explosions etc.

Rather long and unorganized post but what do yall think?
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Good Luck!

Try a "Go Fund Me" page and see what ya get.

CSA Colonel

Id fund that, and volunteer to tour! You have my full support!
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Good Luck!

Try a "Go Fund Me" page and see what ya get.
    Might do that. Gonna have to calculate the cost of everything. It's not going to be cheap by any means.

USA Major

You have my full support I'd definetely volunteer if I lived in the US. The costumers could also be issued a helmet and told to take it on when going to the battle trench. Also a cool feature would be to disguise an actor as a costumer. And then have a sceen where that person looks over the top and gets shot imideately. Would add some nice chaos.

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by VOLCUSGAMING View Post
    You have my full support I'd definetely volunteer if I lived in the US. The costumers could also be issued a helmet and told to take it on when going to the battle trench. Also a cool feature would be to disguise an actor as a costumer. And then have a sceen where that person looks over the top and gets shot imideately. Would add some nice chaos.
    Pretty much what I thought of. I want to simulate every possible part of trench like during the war, including the death and combat.

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Pretty much what I thought of. I want to simulate every possible part of trench like during the war, including the death and combat.
    start up the gofundme page and ill try be the first to donate!
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Locke1740 View Post
    start up the gofundme page and ill try be the first to donate!
    Gotta do some more research first. Gotta see how much it will cost at first and then how much it will cost to keep it going. Going to make a business plan for it.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

I am starting WW1 reenacting and there are some small WW1 community in Texas and midwest ill send you there FB page if you want to know more

CSA Captain

Interesting idea, but as a student of museology, I can tell you that you that from what you describe, you wouldn't be able to call it a museum since it doesn't fulfill the five responsibilities of museums.

- Collect
    - Acquire
    - Display
    - Preserve
    - Generate knowledge

As you say, it would be more of a living history center. I've been to the USMC Museum in Virginia, and they have a living history section where you board a Higgins Boat and the ocean is projected around you.