Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miller's cornfield union spawn

CSA Captain

All I'm saying is to move the Union spawn up to the next field.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA General of the Army

It also must be noted that the Rebs laugh at us Union players when we form up and fight as line, then complain bitterly when we rush the point like the Rebs do. Can't win can we, nothing we do is right apparently.

Whilst I get the map is accurate, it's currently not a fun or enjoyable map with such a long way to go for the Union. Burnsides was adjusted to prevent a Reb bridge camp. Why can't Hooker's Push have the Union spawn brought forwards to the first fence line or the next field? The map needs to be playable for BOTH sides, not just the Rebs. When the new Union defends maps come out it will be interesting to see how the Rebs respond to being in the offensive.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    It also must be noted that the Rebs laugh at us Union players when we form up and fight as line, then complain bitterly when we rush the point like the Rebs do. Can't win can we, nothing we do is right apparently.

Whilst I get the map is accurate, it's currently not a fun or enjoyable map with such a long way to go for the Union. Burnsides was adjusted to prevent a Reb bridge camp. Why can't Hooker's Push have the Union spawn brought forwards to the first fence line or the next field? The map needs to be playable for BOTH sides, not just the Rebs. When the new Union defends maps come out it will be interesting to see how the Rebs respond to being in the offensive.
    Well you like to generalize a lot!

No with a attitude like that you can not do anything right you are a 100% correct.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by FakeMessiah27 View Post
    The flags will indeed make quite the difference. Looking forward to that.

Currently, during any sort of organised event where the Union team forms up properly and marches to the point in formation, even if they go at the double quick they still take minutes to arrive at the point. When they reach the fence line and start skirmishing with the confederates, any time one of their number dies, that person needs to spend another several minutes coming back, whereas the rebels can reinforce much, much quicker. This basically means that the Union team cannot win by shooting alone. They have to resort to a bayonet charge to take the point.

The problem then is, during the ensuing melee both sides naturally take casualties. Even if the Union team manages to come out on top, they probably won't have more than half their number holding the point. On Hooker's Push (thank you Trusty) the Union spawn is so far away that the entire rebel team could spawn in, charge the point, all die, spawn back in and have a second go at it before the first Union reinforcements could arrive.

The defenders will always spawn closer to the point of course, that's what makes them the defenders. But unlike other maps, on Hooker's Push it seems the Union has very little chance to reinforce in time to actually hold on to the point.

I timed that map, for the confederates, it takes like 3 minutes 45 seconds to reach the point at the double quick. For the union it takes closer to 5 minutes for the same task.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    It's a large field! In actuality 40 acres if I remember correctly. And the contestants were on opposite sides.

USA General of the Army

It is not complaining but just an observation that it is more fun to actually fight a battle rather than Spawn Sprint and quickly cycle maps.
    This benefits nobody other than those trying to fuel their ego with cheap wins.
    This is Alpha and this stage of the game is for Testing the Game.
    It is not for testing the patience of others nor using cheap tactics that will, without a doubt, be useless once Cav, Arty and Larger Maps are introduced.
    The point is to Skirmish (hence the reason they are called Skirmish Maps) not to tally cheap "wins" and brag to other squeaker friends.

The next set of maps coming out will feature the Union on defense and I guarantee this will not happen on those maps.
    We want Battles not Races.

Personally, I would like to see the Defenders spawn just off the Point to actually have a chance to set up a defense.
    The attacker's ought to spawn at a decent distance but certainly not at the long distances currently used.
    That being said ... the Devs are testing not just the fighting but also evaluating the movements based on the units that were historically involved.
    This isn't just about us and many changes will occur. Some we will like and others not so much. This is normal for Alpha.
    As I used to tell my Troopers who complained, in the Army ....
    Suck it up OR don't re-up. No one here was Drafted. No one here is in Bondage. Stay and make the best of it but stop whining.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA Captain

Ehm, http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...932-Union-woes . Seems like the eb and flow of the game to be honest, the Union adapted, all be it with a slightly adjusted burnside thanks to the devs. It is now on the confeds to adapt to the Unions new strategy like we did on all the other maps, in my opinion. War of Rights, especially in this early period of development, will consist of alot of trial and error tactics by regiments. The confederates used to camp the bottom of burnside because it worked well, the Union then tried to adapt by sending people in 2 waves. On other maps, like the church, the Union team started to place pressure on the flanks, the confeds then adapted to this by making small groups who would adapt to these union movements. So confederate, my suggestion is that if their cheese is to run to the point quicker than you, find a way around it, set up in an advantageous spot off of the objective to counter attack or try to beat them to it(you do have the closer spawn).

Just to be clear, I understand the confederate frustration and I do not mean this to belittle or mock you, but to simply throw up your arms and give up is just not right

USA General of the Army

Give up? Never.
    But to tip the scale even further in the direction of turning this into Camptown Races, by moving the Union Sprint Start Line even closer is not a Good Idea ... is all we are saying.
    As to adapting, I agree completely.
    However ... this has been done to the detriment, not improvement of game play.
    Examples ...
    Cheesy use of sharps by everyone ... death of the line battles
    One side armed with almost all pistols ... the other side does likewise and it becomes Dodge City Shootout NOT a Civil War Skirmish

Naturally different tactics will be tried, even Modern ones but certain ones lean only toward a Quick, Cheap Win and that begs the Questions ...
    Is that the Game we are all looking for?
    Don't we already have THAT game to play, elsewhere, in abundance?
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post

I actually agree with Bravescot...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    Well you like to generalize a lot!

No with a attitude like that you can not do anything right you are a 100% correct.
    lol I actually didn't sense an attitude from him on this post....

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsme Indaface View Post
    I timed that map, for the confederates, it takes like 3 minutes 45 seconds to reach the point at the double quick. For the union it takes closer to 5 minutes for the same task.
    LOL why am I not surprised? Hope all is well with you!

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    I actually agree with Bravescot...
    lol I actually didn't sense an attitude from him on this post....