Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In light of the recent outrage against Civil War Monuments

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.

In light of the recent outrage against Civil War Monuments

CSA Major General

how silly of them, either they were earned or not.. but they can do as they wish, it changes nothing. but on the basis of calling them traitors I guess they can get by with it. (if they had not accepted pardons)
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

If anything, the need to do this now very much shows the huge impact the war had on the country. It sadly is a testiment to the existance of racial tensions still deeply rooted.

I hope someday the confederate soldiers will be seen as the actors of the war and not the instigators of it (look to politicians for that instead). It is quite clear, though, that people still feel hurt over what they fought for. Prime reason to feel this would be due to experiencing similar tensions themselves I would think.

- Trusty

CSA Major

I had an interesting conversation with a woman of Asian decent (not sure exactly where she was from) while I was in Gettysburg a couple weeks ago. My girlfriend and I, along with another buddy of mine from our unit were dressed up in our period garb and hanging out near the North Carolina monument when she came up to us. She told us about how she was a historian and had spent a lot of time traveling throughout the North and the South to try and paint a clear picture of the causes of the Civil War. She said that it is hard to determine that by only looking at one side or from the side of the victors and that it was hard to remain neutral. She thanked us for what we were doing, and went on her way.

What amazed me (and also saddens me) is that this woman, who is not (at least originally) from the United States, is able to look at something with an open mind, do the research and come up with a well informed idea of what happened, while others are quick to come up with their own conclusions without looking at the whole picture.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with a woman of Asian decent (not sure exactly where she was from) while I was in Gettysburg a couple weeks ago. My girlfriend and I, along with another buddy of mine from our unit were dressed up in our period garb and hanging out near the North Carolina monument when she came up to us. She told us about how she was a historian and had spent a lot of time traveling throughout the North and the South to try and paint a clear picture of the causes of the Civil War. She said that it is hard to determine that by only looking at one side or from the side of the victors and that it was hard to remain neutral. She thanked us for what we were doing, and went on her way.

What amazed me (and also saddens me) is that this woman, who is not (at least originally) from the United States, is able to look at something with an open mind, do the research and come up with a well informed idea of what happened, while others are quick to come up with their own conclusions without looking at the whole picture.
    This seems to be the case most of the time imo. Some of the greatest Americans are the ones that weren't born here.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

What we have in this country today is colossal failures in leadership at all levels from fathers to politicians. It really begs the question as to what sort of circumstances create good leaders. It's clear that we don't have them many places anymore. We just have spineless mush. The cream are not rising to the top and the result is a lack of reverence resulting in an inexcusable drug epidemic, completely mental thought movements, brazen bigotry and segregation celebrated. One would assume as standards of livings go up, something better would become of it.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    What we have in this country today is colossal failures in leadership at all levels from fathers to politicians. It really begs the question as to what sort of circumstances create good leaders. It's clear that we don't have them many places anymore. We just have spineless mush. The cream are not rising to the top and the result is a lack of reverence resulting in an inexcusable drug epidemic, completely mental thought movements, brazen bigotry and segregation celebrated. One would assume as standards of livings go up, something better would become of it.
    I agree with you, especially your last two sentences. Except the part about standards of living. I think what we have mainly lost as a nation is core values and true morals, sadly that is the real minority now a days.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

I may be stating the obvious but the article is satirical I do believe.

It does bring up the discussion of applying the values of today to people of the past. Whether or not that's right will probably come under some debate in coming weeks in the media.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Rithal View Post
    I may be stating the obvious but the article is satirical I do believe.

It does bring up the discussion of applying the values of today to people of the past. Whether or not that's right will probably come under some debate in coming weeks in the media.
    Ha. I didn't read the article till after you said that, I probably wouldn't have either. It was an interesting approach for sure.

I thought it was real too. I didn't read it or else I'd have noticed it was the duffel blog. Unfortunately it is perfectly believable in today's climate.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Moser View Post
    Except the part about standards of living.
    Standard of living has skyrocketed. People in this country only starve through rank incompetence. Smart phones and all manner of entertainment are affordable and easily accessible. Yes, standards of living has skyrocketed but people's appreciation of it has not.