Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harsh words for players

CSA Major

Constructive criticism is one thing. Constant negativity and predictions of doom and gloom, the sky is falling, everything is and will be horrible, gets old.
    Pvt. L.J. Perreira

[weathered voice]

This is the downfall of many realism games. I can't even remember when I started following RnL. The community was much the same, I talked about the exact same things. I ranted a lot there but that was almost fifteen years, and half my life ago. The end result was shoddy public play and a lot of closed server events. A lot of clans in their server doing their own thing. It made me sick 'cause the only reason these guys came in public servers was to recruit, they had no interest in playing the game. Once people were recruited they stopped playing regular play. They simply tried doing the same thing over and over - making things resemble like they wanted in a private server. It took a huge toll on new players. That core of players who discussed the game years before it was even a closed beta started to thin out. And since they had never contributed jack but feral, poorly-admined servers and very low quality events for public players... since all that, there was nobody to replace them as they left and the quality of these 'realism units' tanked over time. Truthfully they could hardly compete against 'regular' public server players. They had to stack the deck in events (no recaps, selectively applying rules, spawn killing). Constant arguments over rules and lone wolfing. It seemed like every round was interrupted by accusations of the other team breaking the vague rules that were established. The team with the admin generally policed the other team more than his own. I tried to correct a lot of that with the way I hosted events.

The image that everyone had in their head of the game just wasn't there at all in any form on public servers. It had to take an effect on the devs as they one-by-one vanished. Less-realism types replaced them and they never really developed the morale system beyond the tepid effects it started with. At one point in time RnL was a runner up for mod of the year, now it's website is gone and all those long conversations on morale and medics and autosurrender are gone, all that's left is a squatter on the old website's domain. After it went down I managed to salvage the main page with some help of the team's old webmaster, he's now a tree surgeon in the UK. I had to find him through Facebook because that's how far removed the guys who started it became after ten years.

[/weathered voice]

It shouldn't be like that. It shouldn't have to be closed server events all the time.The units should drill and train to be useful in a public server and people should go to them because they are effective. Without that extra clout to the public server activity the game will suffer. One of the problems with RnL was the power of lone wolves with the killing power of the weapons. The lack of punch to the morale system, it was nothing being close couldn't fix. The new players behaved realistically until they figured out they didn't have to. It was just role-playing. And role playing gets old when you're getting consistently murdered. It didn't help that MGs were basically unable to be effectively suppressed among many other problems. Grenades were too effective and punished people who did group up. I see too many parallels to this game. Not my main point, but I still can't understand the clamor for artillery when it counters the difficult task of getting Civil War infantry combat right. And I'm a redleg myself ^_^
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-16-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was for a gym class. . . .

In my country we had a very wise man, PH - Poul Heningsen. He once said . . . . You can predict a lot, just not the future.
    Last edited by TheRegulator; 09-16-2017 at 01:16 PM.

USA General of the Army

As the Weathered Voice said ...
    Plus the animosity that has been building up between players and units gives me nightmares in which ...
    (using Current numbers)
    834 companies = about 800 closed servers = most units playing by themselves
    with the occasional Ground Hog day occurring where they peak their little heads out to see if "Official" servers have miraculously morphed into their idea of the prefect WoR game only to quickly retreat to their den because they no longer need to fill their ranks from the Recruitment Servers.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

I think his posts are well thought out but one thing is not being considered. This is not just a random FPS. The maps are significantly larger, the weapons have a slower rate of fire, and there is a company tool for the players that are looking to play with an organized company. This is not even considering the fact that the game is targeting a very disciplined style of warfare. That needs to be considered. This is not and should not be a run and gun game.

Whats also hurting the community is the firm stance by the developers to not listen to their alpha testers. <----that statement is subjective and I understand not everyone will agree with it but that's my observation.

I've seen high tier donors break rules repeatedly and not get banned...that also creates a problem. Rules are rules. I refuse to agree with everything the developers do just to be a "yes man". I am here to enjoy a game that has a target audience with a target style of game play.
    Last edited by F. L. Villarreal; 09-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    I think his posts are well thought out but one thing is not being considered. This is not just a random FPS. The maps are significantly larger, the weapons have a slower rate of fire, and there is a company tool for the players that are looking to play with an organized company. This is not even considering the fact that the game is targeting a very disciplined style of warfare. That needs to be considered. This is not and should not be a run and gun game.

Whats also hurting the community is the firm stance by the developers to not listen to their alpha testers. <----that statement is subjective and I understand not everyone will agree with it but that's my observation.

I've seen high tier donors break rules repeatedly and not get banned...that also creates a problem. Rules are rules. I refuse to agree with everything the developers do just to be a "yes man". I am here to enjoy a game that has a target audience with a target style of game play.

Please don't generalize.

Sorry you seem to think we're not listening.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

And this is why you've chosen to break the rules yourself and lead by example?: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...ll=1#post69092
    Excessive bumping
    Bumping is only acceptable when a thread has been inactive for five or more days, or when you ask a question and it has gone unanswered for three or more days. Do not however include the word “bump” or any variation of the word in your post and even worse just the word "bump" alone.
    In fairness though I haven't seen this rule that I wrote myself being enforced in months.

USA Lieutenant General

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups. So can we please just wait till the game is out before we jump to any conclusion on how the game will be like. Take some uppers or something to cheer you up.

You need to get better at observing.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

This ain't nothing new. Another guy wanting to be the VOICE of the community, it is getting old. That don't help changing much your own conduct will, you should start with that.