Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Priorities

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDewitt View Post
    Wow, so much hate born from ignorance in this thread. I'm afraid I know it all too well though having been on the receiving end of it. People don't understand what game development actually means and how slow it goes. Gamers only see the end product and have no idea what it takes to put it there or the many multi-disciplinary processes which go into it. In fact usually game developers are not gamers at all, they're two worlds apart which somehow need to meet in the end product. (Did you know most game developers do not consider their games complete? They call it "released" not complete).

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of gamers don't even know what a game development document is, or how it looks like. Or a game technical document and what goes in it. It's their ignorance of the processes contained within which make them feel the process is going too slow, or that the priorities are wrong. At the same time gamers are the customers so scolding them and belittling them is usually something game devs do not do. And explaining them the processes to make them understand takes too long.

I'll be short, in the technical alpha phase the priorities are:

1) core mechanics of what makes the game the game (FPS, getting weapons to shoot, players to take damage, physics)
    2) getting the game to a playable state (though that's only necessary towards the end of the technical alpha)
    3) creating a playable 'match', e.g. the level scene where the player can move around. Though in technical alpha this could just mean a flat white plain for testing movement.

So NOT included are more weapons, more uniforms, cosmetics, music, play modes!

From a game developer point of view, for a technical alpha WoR is very advanced and we have nothing to complain about!

Wise words my caravan loving neighbor, wise words <3
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA Captain

Wow, so much hate born from ignorance in this thread. I'm afraid I know it all too well though having been on the receiving end of it. People don't understand what game development actually means and how slow it goes. Gamers only see the end product and have no idea what it takes to put it there or the many multi-disciplinary processes which go into it. In fact usually game developers are not gamers at all, they're two worlds apart which somehow need to meet in the end product. (Did you know most game developers do not consider their games complete? They call it "released" not complete).

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of gamers don't even know what a game development document is, or how it looks like. Or a game technical document and what goes in it. It's their ignorance of the processes contained within which make them feel the process is going too slow, or that the priorities are wrong. At the same time gamers are the customers so scolding them and belittling them is usually something game devs do not do. And explaining them the processes to make them understand takes too long.

1) core mechanics of what makes the game the game (FPS, getting weapons to shoot, players to take damage, physics)
    2) getting the game to a playable state (though that's only necessary towards the end of the technical alpha)
    3) creating a playable 'match', e.g. the level scene where the player can move around. Though in technical alpha this could just mean a flat white plain for testing movement.

From a game developer point of view, for a technical alpha WoR is very advanced and we have nothing to complain about!
    amen brother!

CSA Lieutenant General

Words that will fall upon many deaf ears, unfortunately!
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

And some of you are over thinking what I said. I understand this is in Alpha stage. Bugs and other coding issues are going to be a thing.

My issue is when there is a significant problem and it severely limits what people can do. Should officers be limited? Absolutely...but down to two per team? Like I stated before, it cripples a company/group of players that are trying to play a certain way. Typically your companies are going to be where the bulk of your loyal players are.

The purpose of an Alpha tester is to report bugs and make suggestions...unless we are just here to pay money to play earlier than other people...is that the case? If it is you wont hear anything else on this issue as I will then know it was simply a money grab.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    And some of you are over thinking what I said. I understand this is in Alpha stage. Bugs and other coding issues are going to be a thing.

My issue is when there is a significant problem and it severely limits what people can do. Should officers be limited? Absolutely...but down to two per team? Like I stated before, it cripples a company/group of players that are trying to play a certain way. Typically your companies are going to be where the bulk of your loyal players are.

The purpose of an Alpha tester is to report bugs and make suggestions...unless we are just here to pay money to play earlier than other people...is that the case? If it is you wont hear anything else on this issue as I will then know it was simply a money grab.
    And you're clearly not understanding what I said. The number of officers right now is absolutely redundant and unimportant. To you, a gamer it might seem like the biggest priority. But to the game dev it is a very minor detail. Right now all that is important is that the officer number CAN be restricted, that's in place now. By how much is something for a much later concern. It's not a bug, and the mechanism of limiting officers is in place. That is enough for the technical alpha.

The finer gameplay balancing comes much later, when it also becomes clearer just how many players they can press into a single server and scale the number of officers and NCO's based on that. But as said, for the technical alpha all that is important is that the number of officers can be limited, which is possible now.

CSA Private

Lol why do you assume I don't know what goes into game development?? I can tell you that I know what goes into making games.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversey View Post
    Lol why do you assume I don't know what goes into game development?? I can tell you that I know what goes into making games.
    Why don't you make yourself a game? And please do tell what you know about what goes into making a game

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    And some of you are over thinking what I said.
    Yes people please do not over think what he says. Because it usually does not make sense anyways.

CSA Private

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolina View Post
    Why don't you make yourself a game? And please do tell what you know about what goes into making a game
    How about you don't double post? I've taken a game development course in my school for 2 years, I was involved in a mod called Westeros Multiplayer for MnB as a 3d artist and coder. I know exactly what goes into game development and how long it takes, some people here just don't get the point of this thread and just revert to the good old "development takes a long time!" first read what I said in my posts then post about how I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversey View Post
    How about you don't double post? I've taken a game development course in my school for 2 years, I was involved in a mod called Westeros Multiplayer for MnB as a 3d artist and coder. I know exactly what goes into game development and how long it takes, some people here just don't get the point of this thread and just revert to the good old "development takes a long time!" first read what I said in my posts then post about how I'm wrong.
    a course and involved two words that do not sound very convincing haha
    You said you had experience! aah come here you joker let me give you a pat on the shoulder!