Thread: The only thing I enjoy doing in this game is...

CSA Captain

The only thing I enjoy doing in this game is...

Leading! I really have no interest in being a rank and file soldier in this game. In fact, in all other games I naturally gravitate towards leadership roles as well; albeit at small unit scale like sections, squads and platoons. War of Rights is most enjoyable to me when I'm moving the line, marching it in column and have it form on the battlefield. I love doing the systematic firing drills so ubiquitous to that era of warfare.

Sadly, I haven't been able to establish myself as a leader in this community. Although I do lead those without a company when I can (I call them "militia") I have had no luck forming a company. I believe the established companies have too much gravity for new companies to succeed. The player base is relatively small to begin with and any new players will naturally be more impressed and interested in companies boasting 100 or even more players already.

I wish there was a more informal way of organizing in game. PlanetSide 2 does this most majestically with "public platoons" where the a good PL will accumulate members over time as the platoon fights over the continent. In War of Rights however, everyone in a company will be either in their own discord/teamspeak anyway and of course favor moving with their own company. Their enormous online presence also attracts players not in a company.

Thus I have come to the conclusion that with no real chance to start a company War of Rights has nothing interesting for me left. I will be taking my leave. Maybe I'll form a string band instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5xdgYLuFCk

But don't get your hopes up.

USA Major

You shouldn't give up pal all beginnings are hard, I had the same problem in the beginning you just gotta ask the pubbers that play with you if they would be interested from the moment you get like 4 good active guys on it become easy.
    QM. Timo
    Click Picture To Enlist.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDewitt View Post
    Thus I have come to the conclusion that with no real chance to start a company War of Rights has nothing interesting for me left. I will be taking my leave. Maybe I'll form a string band instead:
    I get that most join an regiment and lone players are kind of lost and most will indeed fill the gaps.
    Well John I wish you the best, I get some games look at the command function differenty (like in BF you can set point or have a platoon ... ).
    Maybe you can join a regiment later as an NCO (doesn't need to be an officer)

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Again, this is still early alpha. There are not a lot of folks who have the money to throw at a captaincy to join the alpha.
    As we get into beta, more will come, and then even more as it gets closer to a real release.

All those people waiting for Beta and beyond may well not be organized as yet because their thinking may be, "what's the point of organizing, I can't play ..." but existing organizations need to be in place to absorb those new players, as well as to be a guide and touchstone for all future new groups.

Give it time.

In the mean time, I suggest playing as a private ... the game is still good fun.

I had to lead teams in the last community I was involved in because it was competitive and people were serious and didn't want crap leaders. And after I got a server it got worse.

Leading is not generally fun in of itself if you are doing it right. It can be satisfying but it's generally a blood pressure-spiker. It's not for everyone. What I see in this game is generally not great leadership. Very little innovation, very little preparation. You can tell after a while if the person you're listening to is just trying to have fun himself or make the darn thing work for everyone.

It really says something to the arrogance of any player if he starts barking commands in the spawn and has no grasp of the map at-hand. I see this constantly... a union 'officer' caught off guard not realizing it's a defensive map and the whole round is lost in minutes. It shows a remarkable lack of respect for other players to try to take charge knowing nothing.

The whole thing takes effort. That doesn't mean trying to talk over other people and assert yourself all the time it might mean an enormous amount of time following and learning the ropes. That whole saying about learning to follow before you can lead. You see the effects of poor decisions and pointless delays on the effectiveness and enthusiasm of the team and don't just drop it from your mind you have to study it. Leading is a matter of caring enough to be in an enhanced state of mind capable of making good (or at least respectable) decisions consistently. Some people stop or start attacks or charges on a whim for no reason. There has to be strong reasoning not just "I want to get closer and use my pistol."

The officer class is a problem at present. The game should honestly build platoons and then enable the officer class in that platoon first, even allowing voting and vote-removing the officer all in-game. A guy with a pistol and a sword is just that. There's no reason you need one to lead but it's in the culture right now.

There's too much of an emphasis on rank. That will change over time. Any idiot can change his steam name to Maj. Something.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-31-2017 at 01:53 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n