View Poll Results: A good addition to WOR?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 65.59%
  • No

26 27.96%
  • I have my own ideas on the subject

6 6.45%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Segmented Reloading

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Segmented Reloading

Really crude Mock-up I made for a UI element to go along with Segmented Reloading:

segmented.jpg

Player Taps R and this UI element flashes up on the screen during which time the Player can do the relevant stage of a Reload (like tap R then press 1 to load the cartridge, after this Tap R then press 2 and so on). If the Player holds R for 2 seconds then your character does the full reload cycle without needing these stages.

Not sure which way round it'd work best (Holding R for full Reload, and tapping R for these UI elements or vice versa).

I'd really like to see that for several reasons if I ever get around to making that post (which I guess I'll do here at some point).

Basically reloading is a large part of the experience in this type of combat. The standard reload animation with the head bobbing is cool the first hundred times but it isn't enough to engage the player in the long run. I'm already well-over it and wish for something more from the animators.

You could slow the process down for the default reload by several seconds and add in fumbling to any of the stages as (individual) morale is worn down. Then make the stages done manually a little faster, perhaps influenced by the player tapping his r key at a rapid rate in the stages or reallocating the numbers (or other keys) to serve that purpose. It should be a more complicated and frantic experience (preferably without the predictable head movement) and I think it's worth the amount of effort it would take since reloading is a huge part of any future gameplay that is actually shooting-oriented and not meelee-oriented.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-07-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post

Basically reloading is a large part of the experience in this type of combat. The standard reload animation with the head bobbing is cool the first hundred times but it isn't enough to engage the player in the long run. I'm already well-over it and wish for something more from the animators.
    Pretty much my thoughts on it aswell. I feel there's too much of a disassociation with the process and your character given how long it currently takes, at the very least they need to split it into two stages.

Adding more to my original idea:

WOR EG.jpg

If a Player were to tap R during the highlighted blue section (there'd be a progress bar in the UI element) then instead of the character stopping, lowering their Weapon and then waiting for the Player to initiate the next phase their character would just carry on with the animation uninterrupted. It could even be made so that the UI element flashes or pulsates during the relevant period for the Player to press R and carr yon the Reload.

The kind of Scenario I can see this being useful for:

Player initiates first Stage of Reload but then see's enemy Player, Player doesn't press R to continue the Reload animation and character lowers Weapon with Stage 1 complete. Player has bayonet Mounted and feels able to defend himself in close quarters but team mates kill the enemy before said Player needs to.

Player then carries on other stages of Reload.

or the inverse of that situation, a Player thinking they need to stop the Reload process but then realise they're safe and just carry on uninterrupted.

Giving the Reload process this bit of dynamism would be a great feature imo and not just a novelty.
    Last edited by R21; 10-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Well... We don't need a user interface or a HUD. It's okay to have a little learning curve but that stuff just adds clutter to the screen that you don't need.

The reload process is not something too terribly hard to learn but it's vastly more complex than most other games and worthy of more attention than just one basic reload animation. If the real guys messed it up and forgot to put a cap on or just kept ramming bullets home then it deserves more attention.

Even the realistic and less complex reload animations in other games usually have slight variations when it comes to working a bolt if a round is already in the chamber.

A few different reload stages.
    1. Retrieving and putting a cartridge in the weapon.
    2. Ramming it and returning the rammer.
    3. Putting a cap on and fully cocking the hammer.

Chain the animator to his desk and have him add in a couple fumbling animations for each segment and program them in to happen on occasion, moreso when under duress.

With each able to be either aborted outright (as current reloads) or finished on their own. The next attempt at reloading should start with where it left off or whatever number stage (1, 2, 3) the player starts. I'm not sure what would happen if tried to fire with multiple cartridges rammed down? Would it blow up?

Notice the guy loses a firing cap during his first reload.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxg8fgIxm3w&t=0m54s
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-07-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Chain the animator to his desk and have him add in a couple fumbling animations for each segment and program them in to happen on occasion, moreso when under duress.

With each able to be either aborted outright (as current reloads) or finished on their own. The next attempt at reloading should start with where it left off or whatever number stage (1, 2, 3) the player starts. I'm not sure what would happen if tried to fire with multiple cartridges rammed down? Would it blow up?
    Personally, i'd like to see this aswell (like placing the Cap on First or ramming Multiple Rounds in) Not sure whether it'd explode or not, I imagine with say 2 in the Barrel the rounds would just be really inaccurate when fired. Probably completely wrong on that though so any buffs feel free to correct me!

Well... We don't need a user interface or a HUD. It's okay to have a little learning curve but that stuff just adds clutter to the screen that you don't need.
    I meant making it minimal, like these see through indicators would only appear briefly when the relevant key was pressed (Like you currently have tapping T to see where the Objective is) so new players can learn the system.

CSA Captain

+1 to the idea

USA Captain

you guys are onto something. I like this idea as well.

USA Captain

+... I really like the idea it's not like just waiting while reloading

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Made a Video on it:

I think it's a reasonably solid system, with Decent UI Artwork and a bit of testing it'd be a feature that'd add a lot to the overall Game imo.

QTEs are simply annoying once the novelty fades, if it has any at all. Fumbling around for keys isnt what I consider fun. I can tell you personally reloading a musket isnt difficult at all and has more tactile feedback then pressing buttons on a keyboard, and is really only harder if your barrel gets too hot to even touch.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png