Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ancestors

Banned

Your ancestors

Last edited by Mi'kmaq; 02-19-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Nothing noteworthy here as far as I know I'm afraid - so I'll just pull the badass viking card I guess.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

My Great Cousin was part of the Canadian Black Watch during ww2. He landed at Dieppe and survived unharmed and got away. He later landed on D-day plus 2 where mates of his asked why he didn't go in on D-day. To his day he still gives the same answer "I had enough bullets at Dieppe, it was your turn to share them out this time"

No so much an ancestor as he is a family connection is Lieuteant General Sir Steuart Robert Pringle, 10th Baronet, KCB, DSC, RM was my mother's god father. He was seriously injured in an IRA car bomb but survived. He's name is immortalized in Royal Marine history and there is currently a trophy named the Pringle Trophy in his honour that british CCF cadets compete for every year. I'm actually commanding my local CCF team this year so I hope to do him proud.

CSA Captain

Unfortunately my knowledge of my family starts with WW2, but i do know that my ancestors used to live in Silesia.
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Well, one of my siblings managed to trace my lineage quite a far way to I believe Eleanor of Aquitaine... > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine and then farther back to Richard the Lionheart. Of course those were pretty distant connections. Closer to modern day, I am related to this fella > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Peden who's last name actually shared my grandmother's maiden name so I guess I'm a straight shot from either Alexander Peden or one of his close family members.

On a side note, the same sibling mentioned before apparently discovered that we could murder something like, 320 people and inherit the throne of Britain XD

My first ancestor in America arrived in the early 1600s. I don't recall his name :/ He grew tobacco in town and was murdered during a Native raid within a few years. His three sons then decided to come to America from Britain to inherit what the father had left, and to move the rest of the family eventually to America. Some how or another one of their descendants ended up in Georgia I believe because he failed to pay some sort of tax, or held debt with someone. So he was either sent to Georgia legally because of tax evasion, or he fled to Georgia because of money he owed someone. Not quite sure on that one.

The other side of my family popped up somewhere up north and received land in the same county I currently live in for service in the Revolutionary War.

During the Civil War, most of my family served for the Confederacy. I'm sure some might have hopped on over to the Union, but most were pro-south. I don't know a whole lot about them. I know one was partial native American and had survived the war. He was later shot in the back by carpet baggers for his former service in the war.

I know I have Cherokee a few generations back, and thats about it. I guess thats just your average American ancestry.

I had a great grandfather who served in the 1st Infantry Division during World War 2, Korea, and later in Vietnam as a military advisor to some of the mountain natives who fought the Vietcong. He left as a master sergeant I believe, with three bronze stars, two purple hearts, and countless other campaign medals and awards. He passed away in 2004

I have a grandfather who is still with us who served on the USS Gilbert Islands during World War 2 in the Pacific. Prior to that, he was part of the detail that went into the unusable ships after Pearl Harbor and retrieved anything of value (as well as dozens of corpses :/ ). I also know that he was part of the first wave of experimental radarmen during the war.

Another grandfather served for a few years in the marines leading up to Vietnam.

I also have at least three members of my extended family in active duty.
    Last edited by Rithal; 06-26-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

I had an Ancestor who was a Colonel in the 36th Virginia Infantry and I had a great grandfather who fought in North Africa during World War II and then he was moved to the Pacific. He was at Anzio, D-Day, and many other well known battles. My grandfather was a Lieutenant in Vietnam but he was stationed in Germany for Negotiations.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRithal View Post
    Well, one of my siblings managed to trace my lineage quite a far way to I believe Eleanor of Aquitaine... > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine and then farther back to Richard the Lionheart. Of course those were pretty distant connections. Closer to modern day, I am related to this fella > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Peden who's last name actually shared my grandmother's maiden name so I guess I'm a straight shot from either Alexander Peden or one of his close family members.

On a side note, the same sibling mentioned before apparently discovered that we could murder something like, 320 people and inherit the throne of Britain XD

My first ancestor in America arrived in the early 1600s. I don't recall his name :/ He grew tobacco in town and was murdered during a Native raid within a few years. His three sons then decided to come to America from Britain to inherit what the father had left, and to move the rest of the family eventually to America. Some how or another one of their descendants ended up in Georgia I believe because he failed to pay some sort of tax, or held debt with someone. So he was either sent to Georgia legally because of tax evasion, or he fled to Georgia because of money he owed someone. Not quite sure on that one.

The other side of my family popped up somewhere up north and received land in the same county I currently live in for service in the Revolutionary War.

During the Civil War, most of my family served for the Confederacy. I'm sure some might have hopped on over to the Union, but most were pro-south. I don't know a whole lot about them. I know one was partial native American and had survived the war. He was later shot in the back by carpet baggers for his former service in the war.

I know I have Cherokee a few generations back, and thats about it. I guess thats just your average American ancestry.

I had a great grandfather who served in the 1st Infantry Division during World War 2, Korea, and later in Vietnam as a military advisor to some of the mountain natives who fought the Vietcong. He left as a master sergeant I believe, with three bronze stars, two purple hearts, and countless other campaign medals and awards. He passed away in 2004

I have a grandfather who is still with us who served on the USS Gilbert Islands during World War 2 in the Pacific. Prior to that, he was part of the detail that went into the unusable ships after Pearl Harbor and retrieved anything of value (as well as dozens of corpses :/ ). I also know that he was part of the first wave of experimental radarmen during the war.

Another grandfather served for a few years in the marines leading up to Vietnam.

I also have at least three members of my extended family in active duty.
    Nearly all the European side of my family is nobility. We still have our coat of arms,some have contact with family over in Europe, etc. We come from a man that fought for William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings. He was a Breton crossbowman was apart of a very prominent family in Brittany. I've traced his line all the way back to the Roman Invasion of Britain. Queen Elizabeth II is my 22nd cousin 4x removed.

i'll fite u 4 that dam throne, boy.

King Melungeon for Britain!!!!

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Nearly all the European side of my family is nobility. We still have our coat of arms,some have contact with family over in Europe, etc. We come from a man that fought for William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings. He was a Breton crossbowman was apart of a very prominent family in Brittany. I've traced his line all the way back to the Roman Invasion of Britain. Queen Elizabeth II is my 22nd cousin 4x removed.

i'll fite u 4 that dam throne, boy.

King Melungeon for Britain!!!!
    Lord Rithal shall return to the motherland one day and claim the throne... after I murder all 300 people. I imagine you are on the list O_o
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRithal View Post
    Lord Rithal shall return to the motherland one day and claim the throne... after I murder all 300 people. I imagine you are on the list O_o
    I suppose I would be. TO ARMS!!!!
    Last edited by Mi'kmaq; 08-25-2015 at 02:29 AM.

I've no documentation, but this is what I'd been told over time:

Considering most of us came from across the great pond, I don't believe there is any such thing as a pure blood. Considering all the invasions and counter invasions and all. That's a lot of sexing going on. It's unclear just where we started.....Wales, Scotland or Ireland. I'm pretty sure mom's side had come from Wales.

My mother's side of the family came over sometime before the Revolutionary War and Oliver Wolcott (Major General?) signed the Declaration of Independence. Her parents came out west in covered wagons to the Nebraska Territory. Mom was doing genealogy on the family through the Mormon church before her death. Unfortunately I never saw any of it.

Dad's side appeared before the (un)Civil War. Dad was born in Hatie, MS and served in the Navy in WW 2 and was sunk at least once. The story goes that there were brothers on opposite sides during the battle of Shiloh. The Confederate brother was shot through the side and walked home with a silk kerchief through his wound and died at his front gate.

My brother was a Seabee in Nam. I was classified 4F and sent home. An ignominious end to a brilliant military career. But my best friend called me a PFC (Proud F*ckin Civilian)

zimm out