Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Your ancestors

My brother's name is Richard Ross IV. my father is Richard Ross III. his father is II. it skipped a few generations, but the first Richard Ross was a Scotsman and civil war veteran. He fought in the Crimean War as well as the Civil. He was in Scott's 900, and fought and survived Antietam. Not sure what other battles he saw. He was captured on two separate occasions and escaped both times. When he was initially captured, he was taken away and allowed to stay in the home of a relative of President Polk. This Polk was a Mason, and invited Sergeant Ross to stay at his home because he saw Ross had a Mason pin on his uniform. We have a document hanging in our home, I think its an official note of his promotion to sergeant. He has a small mention in this book, wherein i found his picture (my avatar pic): https://www.amazon.com/Story-Cavalry...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    my mother was interested in genealogy and found this all a while ago

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Im italian and i dont know much of my ancestors before 20th century.My grandma's dad Fought in WW1 in italian army in italian front. One uncle of my father called " Nevio " fought in greece during ww2. He was present in the Cefalonia massacre where 5155 italian POW's got executed by nazis. He was one of the few if not the only survivor. When he saw all germans coming he initally fought but when everyone surrendered he escaped and been in greece for 2 years making people think he was a poor beggar, he grew also a long beard. At war's end he returned to italy and lived until 82 years old.

One of my ancestors was Silas Soule, an Army officer who refused to participate in the Sand Creek Massacre.

Within my father's line, we had two who fought in the American Civil War
    Two brothers: Armand and Anatole.
    Armand is my Great, Great, Great- Grandfather.

Both brothers joined the 5th Co. Washington Artillery. Armand was wounded in action during the Battle of Rosaca in May 1864. He later died of his wounds in Jonesboro, Ga.
    Anatole would survive the war. The family still has the badge that the Co. wore. Unfortunately, an old aunt converted to jewelry so it is not in its original condition.

In the 90s, I belong to a reenactment group that portrayed the same company. I would later make it to a reenactment of the same battle which was cool.

Outside of the Civil War, my grandfather was a colonel who tested ordinances during WW2. The other one drove the amphibious crafts.

Going further back in time. My relative also was a founder of Mobile and New Orleans. He even provided testimony to the integrity of Bienville. His nephew would be one of the people that revolted against Spain when Spain acquired Louisiana from France. He was executed.
    Last edited by PikeStance; 10-17-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    <--PikeStance -----
    New Orleans Native, Living in Shanghai!

USA Colonel

Potter Ancestors in Civil War

We had a lot of Potter kin in the Civil War. Here is Albert Potter in the picture in the middle , the two gentlemen with wooden legs are brother in laws that had legs lost at Gettysburg , since they were missing opposite feet they used to buy and share 1 pair of shoes!

Orwell NY Civil War Vets.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colonel Potter
    147th NY Volunteer Infantry Oswego Regiment