Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loading on the move

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We might experiment with it in the future but it won't be a few seconds to the time we'll add. It will be considerably more as well as a slower walking speed. We don't want it to be the norm by any stretch.

- Trusty
    This is good Trusty. Through your experiments, I think you'll find it adds another dynamic to strategy and gameplay.

We might experiment with it in the future but it won't be a few seconds to the time we'll add. It will be considerably more as well as a slower walking speed. We don't want it to be the norm by any stretch.

- Trusty
    Ah, I get it. Although, I think that quick time pace is fine because any slower and you might as well not be moving and half of the point of being able to have some mobility would be defeated. I think maybe, 75 percent of quick time is the slowest it should be. 3-4 seconds extra to time would be appropriate also honestly, and so it doesn't look weird, have the whole reaching down for the caps and putting the ramrod back into the slot should be slower as it would be much harder to get it back in walking than taking it out. If any other parts of the reloading cycle are slowed, it will look really strange and painfully obvious. Although, these are just a personal opinion. Good to know though you will consider experimenting with it!

USA Lieutenant General

I think, if anything, the breech-loading weapons such as the Sharps rifle series should be able to be reloaded on the move since they were most often used by cavalry and skirmishing units and were a lot easier to load than the standard muzzle-loading rifles at the time.

Loading on the move is a common civil war soldier experience you see referenced many times. Warfare is all about pushing human limits and improvising. Some of the steps may require a pause but it has its uses. The real danger is allowing people to 'lag dance' back and forth try to avoid gunfire (I know all about it--it's where I got my name many many years ago). Sidestepping and loading should be very slow, for obvious fine-tuning needs of your position while forward movements should slow you down in both speed and the reload process as well as mess (blur) your vision to some extent beyond your musket.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Major

Crouching and moving would be nice as well.

CSA Captain

- Trusty
    It might be easier to tap load, if you do experiment with loading on the move. Then at least you could keep the animation fluid.