Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading on the move

Will be present in War of Rights too, just not for the moment

I mean the reload in sections of course.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    And how often do you use your ramrod and ram the paper down... when loading at a reenactment?
    And if you actually do so, how often do you do that when in close order?
    Most (if not all) re-enactors tap load (firing a ram rod at someone would really ruin their day) at least we always did. I'm not at all sure how 'realistic' loading on the run would be, a major chore at best I would have thought, with bullets buzzing by and shells exploding.

USA Sergeant

Plenty of groups reenacting the Napoleonic wars do use the ramrod and load with paper.(and have fixed bayonets)

And yes, it can be done on the move... but doing it in a close ordered formation is pretty problematic.
    --

Being able to do the load in steps sound like a good way to do it.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Plenty of groups reenacting the Napoleonic wars do use the ramrod and load with paper.(and have fixed bayonets).
    Sorry I should have stated. My field was American Civil War and I've attended events in both America & Europe, yet never seen a ramrod used during a staged battle because of the stated safety aspect. Having used both Springfield & Enfield I really can't imagine loading on the run while in line, while skirmishing, maybe....but in the heat of battle? Problematical at best I would say.

There's several aspects to the mobility issue. Physically loading and moving at the same time is just one of them. Another big one is loading in stages and being able to move after each stage. At present you are confined to one spot for the entire length of the reload animation ~25 seconds before you can move again. Enough for someone to sprint 100 yards or more at you.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Enough for someone to sprint 100 yards or more at you.
    that is why the drill books got different ways of giving fire where only part of the unit fire at anyone time.
    by wing, by rank, by company, or by file... in all cases some soldiers should always have a loaded weapon.

In skirmish order, you or your buddy should always be loaded.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA Major

I would agree with adding loading on the move. I too am a reenactor and although we don't use ramrods for safety reasons, loading on the move happens all the time during battle reenactments. It's actually preferred by more aggressive commanders and although it would be challenging to go through this motion in real life with a ramrod, it can be done with practice and while moving slowly. It would really add another level for tactical purposes.

Of course the next thing to be considered is how often this was used in Civil War combat and I don't know the answer to this but I'll try and do some research.

I would like to see it, if you were forced to walk at quick time and maybe add one second to the time, it would be balanced and realistic.

USA Major

I agree with that MacMuffin.

I'm new to this and have maybe 15 hours in-game time but what I've seen while playing, and also from watching videos is this. If you have no cover and are attacking, as soon as you get within 100-150 yards you fire a final volley, then sprint full speed across the field to initiate hand-to-hand combat - which was pretty rare during the Civil War.

Now if you can get to that same spot, then rather than charge you could keep slowly closing the gap on the enemy while reloading on the move, then you add a whole other open-field tactic. You can be aggressive without charging which is often suicide. Because you're moving you're not a sitting duck and at least you have a chance.

I feel with the lower numbers we have in Alpha, it would add another option to attack. As it stands right now to stand in a field with 5-10 guys with static reloads, the enemy can effectively eliminate the ranks with 1-2 volleys. So instead we charge.

If we had 50 guys in a line, then static reloads would allow for casualties by trading volleys, but as it stands now without the reloading on the move option, it's stay and die, charge or retreat.

Add loading on the move and we have a whole new dimension to this already great game.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 11-28-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    I would like to see it, if you were forced to walk at quick time and maybe add one second to the time, it would be balanced and realistic.
    We might experiment with it in the future but it won't be a few seconds to the time we'll add. It will be considerably more as well as a slower walking speed. We don't want it to be the norm by any stretch.

- Trusty