Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield 1842

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    ... As for myself it doesn't matter-> I can't hit a barn at 100 yards .... I blame my lazy eye
    I have actually resolved this issue.

I now stand INSIDE the barn and try to shoot out!

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Some points on the map have strategic advantage, I've noticed people love to hug fences and trees
    And other are more skilled in shooting (yes Dether from the 1st Georgia .... I'm talking about you)
    But with the 1842 I find it very hard as does everyone else.. especially at Hookers push.. where the feds can sit so far back and I only hit a few times.. and when I have to play fed, I can wipe out the entire confed force (as can most others with that sharps)
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

USA Brigadier General

The springfield 1842 is smoothbore right?

USA General of the Army

Yes ... The US Model 1842 Springfield was a .69 caliber smooth bore musket.

With the new 4X Ticket Loss system it has dropped even further into the Useless Club category.
    Small Group Ambush tactics are no longer viable, in most situations.

As to Choosing a different Unit ... that too is no longer feasible.
    With only 2 units available per Skirmish half the Players will have no choice but to grab the 1842, attach a bayonet and throw it like a javelin.
    You are better off with your fists.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Bit of a harsh judgement.
    Your Captain calls me Onii-chan.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Yes ... The US Model 1842 Springfield was a .69 caliber smooth bore musket.

With the new 4X Ticket Loss system it has dropped even further into the Useless Club category.
    Small Group Ambush tactics are no longer viable, in most situations.

As to Choosing a different Unit ... that too is no longer feasible.
    With only 2 units available per Skirmish half the Players will have no choice but to grab the 1842, attach a bayonet and throw it like a javelin.
    I don't see any drop in usability for the gun with the new morale system, in fact it has a chance to do more damage if you know what ammunition to use for the different scenarios. That's saying too little for a gun that has the potential to kill a lot in close combat.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA Major

I mean it is historical, the confederates had worse weapons and less men, yet they managed to win most battles so wy can't we do the same, the weapons aren't to blame.
    QM. Timo
    Click Picture To Enlist.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Timo420 View Post
    yet they managed to win most battles

Edit: But I agree that the odds should be balanced and I'm sure CG want to achieve that.
    Your Captain calls me Onii-chan.

USA General of the Army

Agreed .. Historically, the battles were almost always a mismatch that required superior tactics to change their course.
    This musket used to be a very useful weapon and, if you ever get the chance for close quarters combat, it can be again.
    The final game product or future changes might make it so but the current system makes close combat unnecessary for the Union.

I am definitely oversimplifying because every weapon, terrain, formation, etc has its place and usefulness but ...
    When half my team are relegated to close quarters effectiveness against a foe half armed with sharps rifles there is no reason for them to close on us.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by goad View Post
    for the love of god, fix this almost totally useless gun. You guys are limiting its potential by 70-80%. And then you put the 2nd ms who uses exclusively this gun, on hookers attack skirmish. Besides it not being realistic as they were not here at this skirmish ( later they were as depicted in the next skirmish ), it seems this skirmish was designed for total failure for the confederates as they are pretty helpless in the open field with a gun that is only good for 20-30 yards ( and this is definitely not a guaranteed kill shooting at a single individual ). If the union cant win this skirmish, then i dont know what to say lol.
    i agree