Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Springfield 1842

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    To me there seems to be a reduction of sway when you are in formation. And the CSA does stay in formation sense the buff system was implemented. But we also try to take advantage of cover like fences and such while in formation. So it's not just the Union playing "right".
    Well, fences by their very nature make that a no-brainer, in addition to the defending side not needing to move around as much. The CSA was doing that even without the buff system. I was more specifically referring to occasions such as on the newest map (the name escapes me), where our officers got us massacred yesterday while the CSA team was scattered all over behind trees and inside of the building. And I think the sway reduction needs to be much more significant to make the risks of being in formation that much more worth it, especially if that's how the game is meant to be played. Anyone who has ever held a musket knows that you don't just immediately start bouncing all over the place when aiming down the sights, bayonet or no bayonet, but if the formation buffs reduce that to a more realistic level (that of a trained soldier who has fired his weapon more times than he can count) then the normal crazy sway is completely excusable solely as an incentive to get your butt in formation.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    Well, fences by their very nature make that a no-brainer, in addition to the defending side not needing to move around as much. The CSA was doing that even without the buff system. I was more specifically referring to occasions such as on the newest map (the name escapes me), where our officers got us massacred yesterday while the CSA team was scattered all over behind trees and inside of the building. And I think the sway reduction needs to be much more significant to make the risks of being in formation that much more worth it, especially if that's how the game is meant to be played. Anyone who has ever held a musket knows that you don't just immediately start bouncing all over the place when aiming down the sights, bayonet or no bayonet, but if the formation buffs reduce that to a more realistic level (that of a trained soldier who has fired his weapon more times than he can count) then the normal crazy sway is completely excusable solely as an incentive to get your butt in formation.
    Pry's Gristmill basically came up just as most had enough playing several maps of the event. Most logged off and the rest where there just having some fun on the new map not much organization just having fun. You must have noticed the reduction of players and organization from the prior maps.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    Pry's Gristmill basically came up just as most had enough playing several maps of the event. Most logged off and the rest where there just having some fun on the new map not much organization just having fun. You must have noticed the reduction of players and organization from the prior maps.
    Pretty sure there were still something like 40+ players at the time. We certainly had a big line, but I stopped joining them and skirmished with a few other guys in the woods. Whoever was in charge of our line though was clearly trying to utilize the formation system, and got blown away whether the CSA was organized or not. That's why I think the buffs need to be more rewarding than they currently are.

Not that I think we would have won if gun sway was reduced more heavily, due to our officers' bizarre tactics, but the sheer disparity in the casualties at the end wouldn't have been so extreme and there would have been some merit to the idea of using formations at all.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    Haven't read through every single reply, just throwing my thoughts out. The 1842 is fine the way it is and mixes things up by forcing different tactics, but I'm also fine with the CSA getting a different weapon for the Hooker's Push map where most of the shooting is long distance and they're at enough of a disadvantage as it is. And on the subject of gun sway, I'd strongly recommend a HUGE reduction in sway and a longer period before starting to dip while In Formation to help encourage players to actually utilize the system (sway being one of the biggest complaints that players tend to have). The only buff that I've really noticed having any real impact is the reduced loss in morale, which isn't a big incentive for me to line up into such an easy target. I keep seeing Union formations being torn to shreds while dealing very little damage themselves, partly due to bizarrely suicidal tactics by the officers but also because the best tactic for the CSA is to spread out and shoot the formation from all directions while the Union fires highly ineffective volleys thinking that they're playing the "right" way by using the new and very incomplete system.
    The 1842 isnt fine. Nowhere close. The games nucleus is historical accuracy/realism. Nerfing realism is not the answer. Playability should revolve around it, not vice-versa. IMO, the immediate decisive change for now to the game should be having smaller maps. Put those desertion zones in closer particularly on the bigger maps because the server is far too small to utilize them properly. I just think far more and quicker can be learned taking this approach.

CSA Major

goad i can not agree more on the size of the maps 3/4 of map is not being used that is the probem when you use cap points, fighting is reduced to just a small area of the map, sure the maps are pretty but mostly useless unless you are going to to other cap circles
    maybe a line that moves as you cap across the map will make the maps more useful that way you can cap on any part of the map just not just one small area that way the whole map is used
    and again the 1842 isnt fine unless u are fighting in a barn and then you still might miss the barn wasnt like that in real life trust me

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    The 1842 isnt fine. Nowhere close. The games nucleus is historical accuracy/realism. Nerfing realism is not the answer. Playability should revolve around it, not vice-versa. IMO, the immediate decisive change for now to the game should be having smaller maps. Put those desertion zones in closer particularly on the bigger maps because the server is far too small to utilize them properly. I just think far more and quicker can be learned taking this approach.
    I'm sure it'll be tweaked but IMO the CSA should at least get their rifles on Hooker's Push if USA has the Sharps. That map in particular gets a lot of hate for its size, but it definitely adds variety. If both teams gather relatively close to the point and execute their strategies, it adds a lot more pressure when you know that your reinforcements won't arrive for several minutes, so a successful attack is difficult for the defenders to bounce back from whereas a bogged down attack can't be reinforced effectively. Some maps being very large and others being considerably smaller is done completely intentionally. Each map should have the teams confronted with a different scenario than the previous one.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by kane kaizer View Post
    i'm sure it'll be tweaked but imo the csa should at least get their rifles on hooker's push if usa has the sharps. That map in particular gets a lot of hate for its size, but it definitely adds variety. If both teams gather relatively close to the point and execute their strategies, it adds a lot more pressure when you know that your reinforcements won't arrive for several minutes, so a successful attack is difficult for the defenders to bounce back from whereas a bogged down attack can't be reinforced effectively. Some maps being very large and others being considerably smaller is done completely intentionally. Each map should have the teams confronted with a different scenario than the previous one.
    agree!
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

CSA Major

Ive owned a smooth-bore model 1842 musket in the past, and live fired the hell out of it. While obviously not as accurate as a rifle or rifle-musket (I also own a .58 cal. model 1861 "Springfield" rifle musket, and a .54 cal. Lyman Great Plains rifle), I could get a .65 cal round ball to hit a silhouette target at 75-100 yards with a fair amount of consistency using the mil-spec 110 grains of powder and a paper cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Smoothbores are blatantly inaccurate. The bore of the weapon being a tad larger than the .69 diameter of the ball, the windage of a round ball bouncing down the barrel after firing is the major problem. Depending on where the ball was, in bounce, would pretty much determine the final trajectory of the ball.
    Negative. The bore is .69 cal. The ball used was around .65 cal. But, the paper cartridge the ball was in was used as a gas check/wad/seal by pushing paper and ball together down the bore, after tearing the powder end and dumping the powder down the barrel. The paper would fill up the extra space and prevent the gasses from escaping around the ball, and prevent the ball from "bouncing" around in the barrel.
    Pvt. L.J. Perreira

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by LJPII View Post
    Ive owned a smooth-bore model 1842 musket in the past, and live fired the hell out of it. While obviously not as accurate as a rifle or rifle-musket (I also own a .58 cal. model 1861 "Springfield" rifle musket, and a .54 cal. Lyman Great Plains rifle), I could get a .65 cal round ball to hit a silhouette target at 75-100 yards with a fair amount of consistency using the mil-spec 110 grains of powder and a paper cartridge.

Negative. The bore is .69 cal. The ball used was around .65 cal. But, the paper cartridge the ball was in was used as a gas check/wad/seal by pushing paper and ball together down the bore, after tearing the powder end and dumping the powder down the barrel. The paper would fill up the extra space and prevent the gasses from escaping around the ball, and prevent the ball from "bouncing" around in the barrel.
    Great you share this knowledge you have actually used this musket so that is helpful.

CSA Captain

Thanks LJPII, I ordered my 1842 smoothie 3 weeks ago and still haven't got it, so no testing yet. But your results sound very similar to what I have already read on the subject. Of course a patched roundball would be even better, but that wasn't military method. I've read too that you can use a lighter powder load to get even better results, again not military method. I'm taking mine Deer hunting with patched roundball, if I get the damn thing in time. Thanks for your post!