Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Springfield 1842

USA General of the Army

I can not believe myself but I must agree with Sir_Squiggles. The Whitworth sites are not a very good current representation.

CSA Brigadier General

For most general knowledge of this weapon I will direct you to this site. Also if you are interested in reading a good book on said ancestor and his accounts I will you direct you to my late uncle's book A Mississippi Rebel in the Army of Northern Virginia. Which I am putting my college studies towards a degree in said historical aspects of this bloody conflict.
    ://www.guns.com/2013/09/09/whitworth-rifle-fit-queens-confederates-video/ also if you want a link to the book for those in need of a good read https://www.amazon.com/Mississippi-R.../dp/0807127345
    Last edited by Sir_Squiggles; 11-08-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    "May we find a fruitful path in our endeavours, and show strength to our enemy's as we gallantly charge to meet them on the field of battle!"-
    Captain of the 11th MS Company F "Noxubee Rifles"

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    I can not believe myself but I must agree with Sir_Squiggles. The Whitworth sites are not a very good current representation.
    Thank you bravescot I've said to myself before as well even you have good thoughts for this game too!
    "May we find a fruitful path in our endeavours, and show strength to our enemy's as we gallantly charge to meet them on the field of battle!"-

CSA Captain

You are correct Squiggles... the vast majority had the Enfield sight. And the ballistics arent correct in game.

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    You are correct Squiggles... the vast majority had the Enfield sight. And the ballistics arent correct in game.
    Oh yes the ballistics for the weapon is far from what it could be but most of the weapons are not represented well ballistically speaking for their respected patterns. I do respect the devs choosing this though for making the game a bit more balanced. I would just like to see what I'm shooting at. So that I have a chance for the RNG pattern to be effective.

CSA Major

i have been saying this since i have been playing this game that these guns are no where near as accurate as they should be, i attritubite alot of this to the way the weapon sways when firing(which really doesnt happen that much in real life) to accurately under 20 yards and over 100
    under 20 yards the odds you should miss a man sided target is less than about 20% and with soldiers maybe under 5% in this game it is closer to 50% the swaying is just to much and some sights are not even close to guns as they were in real life
    over 100 i believe it is a rng where you hit or not just my finding playing the game
    i have never been in the military but for the last 30yrs or so i have been shooting 600m competitions i am not the best shot nor the worse yet this game leaves me scratching my head sometimes

one major problem as i see it is we have no hit confirmations on anything except if we hit someone no registrations of shots hitting the dirt short or background when fired long left or right, a good rifleman knows when he missed and why here we have no idea why we missed and that is a major problem as i see
    the shots have no rhyme or reason for missing

CSA Major

i suggest that the drill camp targets be made the same as the rest of the game then maybe we can draw better conclusions as why and how we miss i know as a an active shooter i need to know where my misses go not my hits

CSA Major General

I agree with Sal here, many of the good shooters already know if they shot high/low/left/right and compensate.
    (honestly when I paintball or airsoft I sometimes can follow the trajectory and notice where the impact is)

The only 'true' way of getting 'soldiers' familiar with the shooting mechanics is to get a 'live' target in drill camp.
    The 'live' target can then tell if a soldier hit or missed (you start at close range off course).
    For the bullet drop and the swaying of the rifle (is this a way for showing fatigue and some simulation of wind ?) this is harder to accomplish.

Different rifles/muskets/ammo will behave slightly different (as it should be)

USA Lieutenant General

Haven't read through every single reply, just throwing my thoughts out. The 1842 is fine the way it is and mixes things up by forcing different tactics, but I'm also fine with the CSA getting a different weapon for the Hooker's Push map where most of the shooting is long distance and they're at enough of a disadvantage as it is. And on the subject of gun sway, I'd strongly recommend a HUGE reduction in sway and a longer period before starting to dip while In Formation to help encourage players to actually utilize the system (sway being one of the biggest complaints that players tend to have). The only buff that I've really noticed having any real impact is the reduced loss in morale, which isn't a big incentive for me to line up into such an easy target. I keep seeing Union formations being torn to shreds while dealing very little damage themselves, partly due to bizarrely suicidal tactics by the officers but also because the best tactic for the CSA is to spread out and shoot the formation from all directions while the Union fires highly ineffective volleys thinking that they're playing the "right" way by using the new and very incomplete system.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    Haven't read through every single reply, just throwing my thoughts out. The 1842 is fine the way it is and mixes things up by forcing different tactics, but I'm also fine with the CSA getting a different weapon for the Hooker's Push map where most of the shooting is long distance and they're at enough of a disadvantage as it is. And on the subject of gun sway, I'd strongly recommend a HUGE reduction in sway and a longer period before starting to dip while In Formation to help encourage players to actually utilize the system (sway being one of the biggest complaints that players tend to have). The only buff that I've really noticed having any real impact is the reduced loss in morale, which isn't a big incentive for me to line up into such an easy target. I keep seeing Union formations being torn to shreds while dealing very little damage themselves, partly due to bizarrely suicidal tactics by the officers but also because the best tactic for the CSA is to spread out and shoot the formation from all directions while the Union fires highly ineffective volleys thinking that they're playing the "right" way by using the new and very incomplete system.
    To me there seems to be a reduction of sway when you are in formation. And the CSA does stay in formation sense the buff system was implemented. But we also try to take advantage of cover like fences and such while in formation. So it's not just the Union playing "right".