Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Affairs as of 10/30/17

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post

Recent Changes have NOT been successful in guiding the Testing toward Line Battle Mechanics, as intended.
    I don't agree with this. I've seen nothing but conservative officers in regards to letting men move away from the formation since the deployment of the system. The whole intention of the system was to give great advantages to sticking together in an effort to lessen the amount of lone wolfs and skirmishers.

The system is not fully fleshed out yet (you do have a steadier aim and much better at recovering from suppression when you have the buff compared to when you don't) and so the main drawback is currently team based one (in the form of the morale cost). This means that players that do not care about their team winning nor the aim and suppression bonuses while having the buff may still choose to lone wolf.

Once the flag bearer spawn system is implemented (next on the priority list after the engine upgrade) we will tie more individual consequences to dying out of line such as a higher personal respawn ticket cost when spawning on the flag bearer.

I do agree that a delay of a few seconds before the buff is removed needs to be looked at seen in the light of a line taking heavy losses from an enemy volley as you gave in your example - thanks for that.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Will there be any way to stabilize morale?
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Will there be any way to stabilize morale?
    We have talked about mechanics in regards to that - nothing concrete has been decided as of now though so you are more than welcome to voice any ideas/suggestions you might have.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We have talked about mechanics in regards to that - nothing concrete has been decided as of now though so you are more than welcome to voice any ideas/suggestions you might have.

- Trusty
    Defeating an enemy line/lowering their morale, receiving reinforcements, flag being picked back up(when flag mechanics are implemented), officer coming in to lead, taking a point, forming a line in formation, and etc.
    Last edited by Saris; 10-30-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    Texas Poppin B

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post

- Trusty
    At the moment, everyone jumps in to whatever formation they find. How about a bonus for grouping in formation with members of the same regiment? This could simulate having kith and kin nearby as well as long term comrades. Would take more organizing on the part of officers and NCOs but you said you wanted realism....

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    At the moment, everyone jumps in to whatever formation they find. How about a bonus for grouping in formation with members of the same regiment? This could simulate having kith and kin nearby as well as long term comrades. Would take more organizing on the part of officers and NCOs but you said you wanted realism....
    I bet that would take effect when they implement the company tool into the game.
    Texas Poppin B

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Granted this is Alpha, and Early Alpha at that.
    We completely understand that the Purpose is focused on Testing Game Mechanics and possible Features.
    Further, Bug Reports and Testing the product for Play-ability and Launch Readiness are chiefly the purview of BETA Testing.
    That being said ... a few issues need to be addressed.

Recent Changes have NOT been successful in guiding the Testing toward Line Battle Mechanics, as intended.
    - The inability to scout or deploy skirmishers, combined with the ever present sniping by sharps rifles, has resulted in the almost exclusive use of one tactic ... hunker down and prepare for Custer's Last Stand.
    This could be fought as a Line Battle but adjustments to Spawn points and out of Bounds limits has made bunching together in a square the only way to keep a good eye out.
    - Then there is the 4X Ticket Loss mechanic.
    It has had the intended effect of getting everyone to stay grouped but ...
    Having a group as small as 6 scouts means that after the death of the first guy the remaining 5 now cause the massive Ticket Loss that can not be absorbed. Scouting Parties need to be large and unwieldy. 3 Man skirm groups are no longer possible and Watching the Flank now falls to the main Line.
    This Ticket Loss is greatly felt when the enemy is sniping reinforcements of a few men, a PUG Rambo keeps charging instead of playing as a Team and if the Defender doesn't focus an undue amount of attention on falling back and staying shoulder to shoulder.
    I say UNDUE Attention because it is one thing to Fill In for a lost man but if ... and this has happened to me several times ... you are anchoring the end of the line and the two guys to your left get killed just before you, during a volley, then you are shot ... you are considered Out of Formation. There ought to be a small window where the chance to Cover Down is available.

The effect of these Recent Adjustments has resulted in several sweeping changes. It is possible that this is intentional but we wish to Note them here for Informational purposes ...
    - We NEVER see a map timer run out. 10 minute battles To The Death are the new norm.
    - The Ticket Disparity now has the Rebels losing almost every engagement when before we lost very few. Not a complaint but rather an observation of how much the Game Changes are having an effect.
    - Win Parameters are now overly skewed to the Union side. The best example from this weekend was a Skirm in which the Yanks NEVER took the Point, not even once. The Final Death Toll was 87 Yanks dead to 38 Rebs. The Timer only ran for 8 minutes ... and we LOST.
    - The Weekend Events used to be composed of 4 Events consisting of approximately 3 skirmishes each of which the Rebels won all but 1 or 2 of these 12 to 15 ... on a bad day.
    Now, we play at least 25 Skirms and are lucky to win 1 all weekend.
    We now have a bit more empathy for the Pain of our Union Foes but losing when you dominate a battle is not right.

This brings me to our Final Point ...
    The Confederate Leadership is finding it increasingly difficult to convince our Troops to attend anything except Drills.
    Nobody has a problem with Losing due to our own Mistakes or Miscalculations but it is hard to motivate a man to spend his few free hours a week Testing a game that makes no sense.
    Again, this IS Early Alpha and we are testing mechanics but no testing can be done without Players.
    We aren't asking for Favoritism or an Easy Ride ... you don't build muscle, courage or camaraderie by having Victories handed to you. However, it is not fun for anyone to feel they are wasting their hard earned Time on being a Pop-up Target with zero chance to win because the battle cry has been changed from Deo Vindice to Deus Ex Machina.

Thank you for your Time and Attention in reading this long Post.
    We greatly appreciate your efforts and will always support and test the game and its Developers.
    Our Desire is to help bring this game to Fruition and, although it may be unpopular to some, we can not AND SHOULD NOT be yet another Member of The WoR Forum Echo Chamber.
    I agree with the statements listed above and want to also bring attention to how short the matches are now due to the ticket system, personally I always enjoyed fighting a long hard drug out match because it had so much more potential for either side to sway the battle. Now on average the matches that were pooled over this weekend with all of the new mechanics in place was 16 minutes and 12 seconds. With the longest match being 22 minutes and 31 seconds long and the shortest match being 1 minute and 45 seconds due to millers cornfield starting out with a loaded cap bar for the CSA. Now granted the Confederates usually tend to take the points quicker than the Union just because the charges on each side tend to be different. Although I beg you to reconsider the changes done to this. Personally, the thing that this game has going for it in comparison to the unfinished "holdfast game" is solely on the fact this isn't trying to be cartoony and made for someone with the attention span of squirrel. I understand what you guys are trying to do and I applaud it this game is trying to set leaps and bounds for itself and not be like another game on the market and that is what makes it special. So thank you for reading my post guys i'm not sure how I could help with any suggestions on how to fix the time except for maybe making each side have higher morale and tickets (if that is still a thing). Anyways guys thanks for listening in to our opinions too.

Sincerely, 6th LA Trump
    "May we find a fruitful path in our endeavours, and show strength to our enemy's as we gallantly charge to meet them on the field of battle!"-
    Captain of the 11th MS Company F "Noxubee Rifles"

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Defeating an enemy line/lowering their morale, receiving reinforcements, flag being picked back up(when flag mechanics are implemented), officer coming in to lead, taking a point, forming a line in formation, and etc.
    Also bump to this idea it seems great!
    "May we find a fruitful path in our endeavours, and show strength to our enemy's as we gallantly charge to meet them on the field of battle!"-
    Captain of the 11th MS Company F "Noxubee Rifles"

USA Captain

If posible, then get the flagspawn up and running. It seems that working on the moral/stay in line changes, needs the flagspawn to be functional at all ...
    Not being able to skirmish is not autentic/realistic !

The biggest most serious problem, is the lack of qualified officers ... Its not something you implement with a script.
    Last edited by TheRegulator; 10-30-2017 at 08:08 PM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    The biggest most serious problem is the lack of qualified officers ... Its not something you implement with a script.
    Well, nobody has to follow and obey the guy who picked the officer class. If you are discontent with the officer's performance just don't listen to him.
    Your Captain calls me Onii-chan.