Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted to ask the csa how they have liked the last few days getting the union side

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    OR, and I'm just spit balling here, you guys are just REALLY bad! Just an idea and the same one you threw as the US units when they voiced dissatisfaction.
    Bravesquat, I'm not entirely sure why you even make posts on the forums. You only ever seem to be after confrontation and hardly ever post anything constructive. No disrespect intended. We are trying very hard to let go of the past an move forward in a positive direction. We want to cease the back and forth confrontations that are never constructive and hurt the community.

Keep the feedback coming gents - preferably coming from the Union gents as well. Please try to stay as unbiased regarding this as possible (keep jabs at each other out of balance talks please).

As stated in the formation buff deployment patch you shouldn't expect the balance to be anywhere near perfect (in fact you should expact that during the alpha, period). The morale ratio at the moment is identical to what it was before the deployment of the formation buff system (where the CSA was winning most battles). While no one can say for certain until having playtested new systems in regards to balance, I was pretty sure a nerf to the defending team was needed before the deployment of the system (hence why we decreased the defending teams morale by 10% compared to the attackers across the board with its introduction). This was done due to us thinking advancing while being in a formation is much harder than being relative stationary at a defensive position while maintaining it - which we still very much believe.

Expect balance to be messed up again and again with the introduction of new gameplay systems such as the flag bearer spawns, etc.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

What is there to say. Right now the Union has a very easy time on most maps. I also think that the capture points on certain maps like Hooker's Push or Pry Ford aren't particularly grateful for the CSA as they are simply sat in a field with no real cover while the Union can just blast away at them from distance while enjoying good cover.

Edit: That and the fact that the Union usually has the better weapons makes for a rather one sided experience.
    Last edited by Numitor; 11-06-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Your Captain calls me Onii-chan.

CSA Captain

Are you saying that the attackers get more tickets then the defenders? So when Union is attacking the CSA has more tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    Are you saying that the attackers get more tickets then the defenders? So when Union is attacking the CSA has more tickets?
    Tickets are no longer used. They've been converted to a morale amount instead. But yes, the attacker always has more starting morale than the defender (currently the ratio between them is identical to when the CSA won most rounds before the formation buff deployment).

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Shouldn't the defender have the advantage? Until we can actually raise morale, the game will be unbalanced
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Shouldn't the defender have the advantage? Until we can actually raise morale, the game will be unbalanced
    No. Giving the defender a morale advantage over the attacker would mean a victory for the defender every time (unless the attackers manage to capture the area).

It is identical in other games that use a ticket based system - the attackers always have the numbers on their side while the defender has the position on theirs.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

And Please understand that we know there will be imbalance.
    We expect it and we even thrive on it but the issue we are trying to illustrate is how extreme the current imbalance has become.

It has been incremental, to be sure, but the cumulative effect is an unwinnable situation for the CSA.
    When this assertion was mocked by our Union friends we decided to let them walk a mile or twenty in our shoes.
    Some have seen the light but since it appears that not many have ...
    We will continue to play as the Union and heartily invite the Unionists to leave their Forum Strongholds and see for themselves, by meeting us in battle.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

To reiterate the difference since we started playing as Yanks ...
    BEFORE CHANGES:
    We would play about 3 to 5 skirms per event with almost all containing several changes of Point Control and wins for the CSA. Most times when CSA was on defense we fought until the Timer ran out.
    AFTER CHANGES:
    We couldn't win a single skirm. Many adjustments to tactics were tried to no avail.
    AS UNION:
    We play around 15 to 20 skirms per event with ZERO lasting the entire length of the Timer. Over the past two weeks we have played 12 events and close to 100 skirms with not a single loss. The Rebs could never control the point for any length of time and most battles lasted fewer than 8 minutes.

This is regardless of who is on Attack or Defense but merely a difference in the personnel who are playing as Union soldiers.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Captain

I've played both sides and as a veteran roleplayer I am unbiased towards any side. The weapons I believe are fine on either side, including the smooth bores. They are outdated by the time of the civil war but sometimes you just have to make do with what you get. That was a reality for both sides so you'll have to adapt and use tactics suitable for your armaments. Where the difference between the Union and the CSA lies is in how easy it is to bring CSA morale to breaking.

As the CSA you cannot afford one single slip up or you will lose. Now you might say "but you slipped up so don't you deserve to lose?" To that I respond that its in the leeway either side gets. You're bound to slip up at least once in a fight. But the Union can afford to slip up, and more than once and still win. So unless the CSA team pulls off a pristine perfect round they'll lose against even a mediocre Union effort.

I believe that during the battle of Antietam the US only brought 3/4 of their army into battle at any one time, against nearly 100% of the CSA army. This allowed Lee to move his forces around and prevent a critical force concentration by the US. In game play this would mean that the CSA would start most fights with nearly equal morale as the US as they'd both have a roughly equal number of "effective combatants".

I would like to add though that a lot of the current set of maps require a very specific set of steps to win. I've seen a lot of CSA commanders disregard these (or be unaware of them) and the rebs did lose many rounds because of this. That's a personal observation of mine. To illustrate: taking your time reloading, forming a column and double time it to the point at Burnside Bridge and even going as far as all of them waiting for the point to turn full red before looking what's going on at the actual bridge it self. I've seen it happen more than once and it equals a near automatic loss.

So TL:DR: part of it is undue morale difference, part of it CSA commanders making common mistakes.

(and here I go giving advice anyway even though I said I gave up on leading ._.)
    Last edited by JohnDewitt; 11-06-2017 at 04:20 PM.