Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: War of Rights High Activity Group

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    The low turnout on the servers is the fault of the community. There is to much adversity and divide amongst it. Maybe it's the nature of the game North vs South not your location but your affiliation. There needs to be more cooperation and understanding between the sides. All the infighting on these forums makes most loose interest. Might be something some might consider before they post.
    ???

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    There is no infight .... I replyed to a question.
    Same here no in-fight did not know people would see it as such. Just different opinions and views

CSA Captain

That was for a different thread not sure why it posted here.

The level of command is so poor, its fustrating.
    Yeah... I've seen very little in the way of effective leadership. Once or twice I was impressed. It is a serious deterrent for me as well, though I'll usually show up. For the most part the strategy is always the same on the Union side...

1. Form up in a single file line.
    2. "At the double quick... forward march"
    3. *Never look back to let the formation stay even remotely together.
    4. Never scout or have scouts or deploy skirmishers on the flanks or the line of advance. To do so would be to cede your power in some fashion.
    5. March in a single file line until you are under fire. Do a left or right face and order firing by volleys.
    6. Never call out your targets, the direction you should be firing, or the range. Just assume everyone can see the enemy.
    7. Never order a retreat or arrange for a rallying point for respawnees.
    8. Never sustain the fight. Either get obliterated on the firing line or order a futile charge, preferably with unloaded muskets.
    9. Don't coordinate with other formations, certainly not in the game chat.

I think it's useful to show up and see what's going on and figure out what works. There's no benefit to getting wiped out. Your last men down are 'out of line' casualties and it's far more important to remain a threat in some fashion by keeping up whatever level of fire or threat as you can. That's why the charges are so frustrating, to see a legitimate force get obliterated for no real gain time and time again. Would be better to advance at the quicktime, especially as the smoke builds up. That way you keep a better formation and can halt the advance faster. My respect dwindles quickly when a charge is taken as anything less than the finishing move. Seems like common sense to me but it's not common practice. And people aren't learning.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-27-2017 at 12:55 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

The level of command is so poor, its frustrating.
    Couldn't agree more. The Union's strategies on the Bloody Lane map today during the 80 player EU event went against all logic. Tactics such as the classic "fire inaccurate m1842s at an ineffective range and charge with unloaded guns knowing full well the rebs are waiting with a devastating volley", and the oh so popular "trying to put your men into parade order while the enemy is shooting at you causing 1/4 of them to die." as Poorlaggedman said it would also be worthwhile for at least a shadow of a plan to be made before forming a single file and rushing the point. There need to be adjustments in tactics made by everyone to compensate for the new ticket system like staying close together when charging and actually retreating once in a while.
    Last edited by rebeldestroyer; 11-27-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: more thoughts
    "Better dead than reb"- Someone probably

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by rebeldestroyer View Post
    Couldn't agree more. The Union's strategies on the Bloody Lane map today during the 80 player EU event went against all logic. Tactics such as the classic "fire inaccurate m1842s at an ineffective range and charge with unloaded guns knowing full well the rebs are waiting with a devastating volley", and the oh so popular "trying to put your men into parade order while the enemy is shooting at you causing 1/4 of them to die." as Poorlaggedman said it would also be worthwhile for at least a shadow of a plan to be made before forming a single file and rushing the point. There need to be adjustments in tactics made by everyone to compensate for the new ticket system like staying close together when charging and actually retreating once in a while.
    It was pretty bad. One of my biggest problems with our tactics is when we don't utilize the right flank correctly at the Sunken Road. We don't stay 100% out of sight behind the hills when moving in that direction so that the rebs can easily spot us and adjust their lines, and sometimes (like yesterday) we stop and waste precious seconds forming up a perfect pretty line that officers love before firing a volley, most of which smacks into the fence doing no damage, and then charging into loaded musketry without anything in our guns to use once we get close enough (except for me, as I refused to participate in that volley and killed an enemy upon reaching the fence as a result). I don't understand why it's so difficult for Union officers to realize that we should be using the fence as well so that we can at least inflict roughly equal casualties on the enemy instead of losing 3 men for every 1 enemy killed with those idiotic tactics. Not to mention the obsession with firing volleys in the center endlessly inflicting negligible casualties, even when the commander of your other force is requesting a charge. After this many months, you'd think our officers would start realizing these things.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    It was pretty bad. One of my biggest problems with our tactics is when we don't utilize the right flank correctly at the Sunken Road. We don't stay 100% out of sight behind the hills when moving in that direction so that the rebs can easily spot us and adjust their lines, and sometimes (like yesterday) we stop and waste precious seconds forming up a perfect pretty line that officers love before firing a volley, most of which smacks into the fence doing no damage, and then charging into loaded musketry without anything in our guns to use once we get close enough (except for me, as I refused to participate in that volley and killed an enemy upon reaching the fence as a result). I don't understand why it's so difficult for Union officers to realize that we should be using the fence as well so that we can at least inflict roughly equal casualties on the enemy instead of losing 3 men for every 1 enemy killed with those idiotic tactics. Not to mention the obsession with firing volleys in the center endlessly inflicting negligible casualties, even when the commander of your other force is requesting a charge. After this many months, you'd think our officers would start realizing these things.
    I agree 100%.
    Should be more flanking and using the terrain instead of marching sometimes running straight to the point in the open without any plan other than the volley

USA General of the Army

There is a reason Pickett's Charge was presented to us, in OCS, as a thing to NOT do and the reason there was a major shift in Army Tactics.
    The Maryland Campaign was WELL before the Lesson of that fateful day so perhaps these Union officers are simply trying to be "Historical"?
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    Mind you, if it was the same Sunken Lane battle that I was at fighting for the CSA, the Union still won. Have to say there was a bit of dismay on our side that despite the thumping we appeared to be giving you (and I agree the Union tactics appeared a bit basic) CSA still lost on tickets. It was close but we thought we had done just enough.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    Mind you, if it was the same Sunken Lane battle that I was at fighting for the CSA, the Union still won. Have to say there was a bit of dismay on our side that despite the thumping we appeared to be giving you (and I agree the Union tactics appeared a bit basic) CSA still lost on tickets. It was close but we thought we had done just enough.
    I'm not sure how the morale percentages currently differ from the previous ticket counts (250 USA, 125 CSA) on that map, but I'm pretty sure that another failed attack would have been enough to finish us off with how high our losses were. (By the way, there wasn't much gloating on our end afterward despite winning, although I was happy to have claimed the final kill of the match) Personally, I'd be pretty happy if we had some more (and better) defensive maps of our own to where we could inflict significantly heavier losses even if we lose in the end. It's not exactly something that Union players get to experience often.