Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scavenging musket ammunition

I mean, it’s not a bad idea, but like you said it’s not a common thing to run out of ammo b/c you usually die. However, maybe when the bigger maps come out and we volley more it may be viable do.

Expanding on the 40 rounds per man being historically accurate, I also heard that some carried an extra 20 in their packs making the total 60. I do like the idea of scavenging rounds from dead players, or maybe a supply wagon feature that you have to run back to, or have someone bring ammo to the front lines.

CSA Major

I just did a little experiment - played as both sides on the Miller's cornfield map, 14th Brooklyn with an Enfield fired off 40 rounds. 2nd Mississippi initially fired off 20 rounds. I was about to cry "Union bias!" when I realised you don't automatically switch to buck and ball when you have fired off all your ball but have to select it for loading. So looks like its the historical 40 rounds per man.

Haven't repeated the experiment on other maps but I see no reason it would differ.

Incidentally, when the game develops somewhat further, there could be some very interesting grand tactical challenges for the higher command through manipulation of ammunition states for the various units over the course of the battle.

It would be interesting to have to have commanders take into account a unit that has no ammunition, resupply will probably become a thing when the maps get bigger and the chance of a unit depleting ammunition is greater.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    I just did a little experiment - played as both sides on the Miller's cornfield map, 14th Brooklyn with an Enfield fired off 40 rounds. 2nd Mississippi initially fired off 20 rounds. I was about to cry "Union bias!" when I realised you don't automatically switch to buck and ball when you have fired off all your ball but have to select it for loading. So looks like its the historical 40 rounds per man.

Haven't repeated the experiment on other maps but I see no reason it would differ.

Incidentally, when the game develops somewhat further, there could be some very interesting grand tactical challenges for the higher command through manipulation of ammunition states for the various units over the course of the battle.
    I did a test myself with the 1859 Sharps Rifle and I fired 35 rounds before I ran out... it may have been 36 as I was distracted by a modern intrusion that hasn't been invented yet.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    It would be interesting to have to have commanders take into account a unit that has no ammunition, resupply will probably become a thing when the maps get bigger and the chance of a unit depleting ammunition is greater.
    I could see ammunition replenishment getting added at a later date as regiments having to abandon gains of territory was so common due to of lack of ammunition, that they had to retreat in favor of other fresh regiments moving forward. Even with the slow musket loads, 15-20 minutes of relatively sharp fighting would lead to exhausted ammunition and a need to retreat, or be replenished.

As it stands now in-game what could a commander do but bayonet charge until everyone was killed and could respawn with fresh ammo?
    Last edited by Shiloh; 11-30-2017 at 04:41 PM.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I did a test myself with the 1859 Sharps Rifle and I fired 35 rounds before I ran out... it may have been 36 as I was distracted by a modern intrusion that hasn't been invented yet.
    I confess that my test with the M1842 firing buck and ball was interrupted by being unceremoniously shot by a Union soldier; I got to 12 rounds (and have therefore assumed I had the remaining 8) before being stupid enough to go and ask him not to cap the point and ruin the test. Alas my parlay was not accepted . However, assumption being the mother of all F***-ups, perhaps I should repeat it just in case it was less than 20?

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I did a test myself with the 1859 Sharps Rifle and I fired 35 rounds before I ran out... it may have been 36 as I was distracted by a modern intrusion that hasn't been invented yet...
    Both of these numbers are around the max I have gotten to when I counted one time or at least give us a range, 35-40 rounds is usually what most people get. Still, both of these ammo counts are pretty high and until units start fighting for longer periods of time in formal line battles we probably won't see a unit totally run out. At this time, as units or groups fight, people keep dying and coming back with more ammo before they can even get close to half way through their ammo and the people who get to half usually die by that point, coming to an equilibrium.

No historian here, but a FOB such as a wagon brought up to the supply lines that can be taken back to the main base for resupply would be rather a great feature to have. We also can only pickup ammo, and it takes some time to do so. This way we are not having Gatling gun riflemen at the front lines. It takes time to resupply. (as picking balls out of the bags )

Well... in a game, the chances of using all your ammo are low. Especially since you live multiple lives in the span of a round. Doesn't make sense to punish people who live too long vs those who respawn with new loads.

Unless we can get specifulic amounts of ammo both sides were issued for most or every current battle, I would say keep it as is with 40 rounds.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png