Thread: Swearing and General Rudeness filter? Bad experience today.

Swearing and General Rudeness filter? Bad experience today.

When I play war of rights and it is populated (about midday my time in Australia) I have my son next to me on his own computer.
    Now the community is generally very polite and there is really not that much swearing. Other multiplayer games though are permeated these days with swearing if they allow in game voice. Generally it is the younger teens and 20s that do most of the swearing. Like geeks trying to be cool by being bad. This game I was hoping was the exception.

However I loaded up the confederates just now because my son wanted to see the game for the first time. I walked for a bit and joined the confederate line in a nearby forest. Following an officer there.
    However an young 20 year old sounding Australian could not get his line command to work. He was not upset. But felt the need to use the Cu*, Fu*, Sh* and other words repeatedly (every second word waswas one or two swear words) while trying to explain to the other officer what the line command should do and how we were going to attack. Then an American started denigrating the yankees with the Cu*, Fu*, Sh* words also. I exited the game. Having to explain to my son that the community is not usually this rude and unsavoury. I switched to the Yankees and found the usual very polite crowd of more mature people fighting and winning. I want to enjoy a rich civil war experience not have my ears assaulted by teenagers.

My question is. In Holdfast I could mute any specific person (usually one playing youtube music on an open mic or just teeny swearing to be cool) permanently just by look at their name. Pressing a key to bring up a list of players and clicking a mic icon off next to their name.

Will War of Rights have something like this to make for a pleasant experience. Where I can be unafraid to play on an open mic so I can speak to my family while gaming.
    Perhaps this is why so many avoid multiplayer games these days. I don't know why people have to swear in the worst possible way in games these days. Especially one where the period
    would have been more polite. I can kind of understand it in rising storm 2 vietnam, because that is kind of what it was like. But in the civil war period, they were fairly religious and upbringing would have
    made cussing a rarer thing??

Perhaps Commands should be limited to official voice overs and text and a mute everybody command given to blanket ban all voice chat for me.
    I love to get to know people and am very social. But I really don't have time for mind numbing company like the experience above.
    This has lead me to believe that I really do need to join and stick to a good regiment. With upstanding values.

P.S. Playing holdfast which is in early access and filled with teen geeks trying to sound hard core has made me realise that these kind of filters are very important to my gaming enjoyment.
    I am no prude. But when I am trying to relax I don't like to know I am playing with the keyboard warrior try hard types.
    Last edited by Destraex; 12-17-2017 at 01:20 AM.

USA Captain

I can appreciate a mute function, however the internet will be the internet and people will choose to express themselves in less than "savory" ways.

However in war, -religious upbringing or not- cursing has and always will be apart of it. Especially among the general grunts.
    BIGOT, n. One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that you do not entertain.

That is precisely my point. The internet will be the internet. Today it is much worse than when I started playing online in the mid 90s. Because their was no in game voice for the most part. Teamspeak enabled me to choose whom I played with and what quality of people they would be. Obviously when people are behind a keyboard they swear a lot more than they would on the street or at work. OR everybody that happens to game these days happens to be a hand picked person that loves swearing at peoples mothers.

I would not have a problem, except where family is concerned and hear it on a regular basis. The C word seems to be especially prevalent on the internet today.
    Am I allowed to swear on the forums like they would in game?

I understand that soldiers will cuss (trust me I know), but I still do not think it would have been as bad and as accepted as it is in today's society.
    Last edited by Destraex; 12-17-2017 at 02:21 AM.

Pretty standard feature, a mute feature. I'm sure it'll happen at some point? Don't you use headphones??

I vehemently disagree (especially as a vet) with attempts to police the 'rudeness' or 'language' in a war game of any type. It speaks for itself and if it's not spam for the sake of spam then I hope to hear more of it, if anything. It increases the quality of my immersive experience. It's a typical thing out there among the 'realism' units in many games to have servers where they basically only police language and suck at policing the real trolling issues. Aside from that conundrum, I always got a kick out of Darkest Hour and how the developers put in voice commands with loads of swearing and the server hosts would warn you for cussing.

I can't use headphones unfortunately, plus I like to be able to be available to the wider household and interact at home while gaming. Don't like to cut myself off from my surrounds while gaming.
    But the majorproblem is that headphones make my tinitus worse. Desktop speakers are much more tinitus friendly.

What I experienced earlier was simply swearing for the sake of it. It was not caused by anything that happened or part of role play. We were sitting in our own in a forest near our spawn. The atmosphere was more gangland compton than civil war.

If you like swearing good luck to you. But I and I am sure many others would like to have a cleaner and less abusive experience. You don't have to stop swearing. But i'd like to be able to mute you and just listen to canned commands or via text. It's nothing personal. Just personal preference. I sometimes like to watch PG or M movies but am not always in the mood for R rated swearing from randoms, especially with family around.
    Last edited by Destraex; 12-17-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Rebel players and/or glorifiers tend to be extremely toxic in general.

To say that it's realistic to have officers spewing insults is laughable. A mute function is a necessary thing for any game with voice chat, and some that just have text.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA Captain

Privates are required to ask for permission to talk, in the ranks ... Unless else told otherwise, by an officer or NCO. In combat only warnings or passing of urgent information are allowed from Prvt's.
    Act like soldiers ... Behave like soldiers. Its the core of this game ...

Kid's officers with a filthy mouth, and no content in manners and hounor of an officer, will not be able to lead anyone.
    Last edited by TheRegulator; 12-17-2017 at 12:36 PM.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Rebel players and/or glorifiers tend to be extremely toxic in general.

To say that it's realistic to have officers spewing insults is laughable. A mute function is a necessary thing for any game with voice chat, and some that just have text.
    Strangely enough as an CSA player we've encountered the racist slurs (with a common use of the 'N' word) exct. from Union players.
    If I see an CSA player getting overexcited I react to it.
    Hey, I love the whole roleplaying thing (even on the forums) ... but there is a line between roleplaying and being a disrepectfull person.

Lately things got heated in the world adressing the whole civil war and 'slavery' in general, there is a wrong impression that all of the south was Pro Slavery or that every confederate soldiers held slaves ...
    For example General Robert E. Lee wasn't a slave holders and certainly didn't endorse slavery. According to an 1860 census, in the South 31%-33% of families owned slaves. 75% of families that owned slaves owned less than 10 and often worked beside them in the fields.
    There is still a different way of mentality and life between the North and South and this hasn't directly to do with slavery.

About the 'mute' function
    I agree it would help players who just want to enjoy the game, a report/kick function works in some games. If a person really is a problem ingame, you can report it on the forum here (I'm sure Trusty would look into it, a video capture of some sort or witnesses should help).
    BUT as a community we cannot allow toxicity to slowly gain ground, we should adress these persons and confront them with their behaviour ... and see how that works out (sure it takes a lot of energy)

USA General of the Army

The swearing is from both sides. We can not pin blame on each other when we all know we're guilty.

Only comment I'd make is that the CSA are most hostile towards Union players playing on their team.

A mute function will probably be supported sometime in the future.

In regards to racial remarks, please do capture evidence of it and send it to me and the people doing it will get a ban from the alpha servers.

Locking as there's no need to "evolve" this into yet another union vs CSA thread.

- Trusty