Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a field hospital?

USA Captain

Will there be a field hospital?

Described by the title

USA 1st Lieutenant

Please no. The scope and scale of WoR doesn't lend itself to a field hospital.

Best,
    Dman979

Everybody always wants a medic class in these type of realism games.

I really feel like laser-like focus should be on developing one feature at a time. Right now infantry combat. Maybe some more later once that works well.

Field hospitals really didn't exist normally in the Civil War during the action. In fact they were often pretty bad at setting good ones up. And it wasn't until 1864 the Union created a well-organized ambulance system.

There were in fact aid stations set up with surgeons not far behind the lines sometimes but what purpose would they serve in a game? In my opinion, wounded should be represented in an ideal game by twitching, moving, etc. bodies. Is it worth the effort? Probably not. Taking care of your wounded, if implemented, should have a positive effect on morale resiliency of the team (not specifically talking about the current morale feature). Most people always wanted a medic to 'reclaim' reinforcements or spawn tickets which really doesn't make sense since a medic / surgeons job is not having a numbers effect on the strength of units during a battle itself. I do believe the morale factor makes sense. If your casualties aren't getting taken care of it sucks a lot more than if they do. And you start to imagine yourself laying wounded without aid.

CSA Brigadier General

Here's an extremely bad idea for a mini-game.

You play as a surgeon and have to sever limbs before the timer runs out and the patient bleeds to death.

One of my ancestors who was a doctor during the war actually wrote about being able to saw off mutiliated arms and legs in as little as 30 seconds.

http://www.tngenweb.org/lauderdale/m...-Blackwell.htm

Blackwell_Thomas-Michael.jpg
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Quite. And having been an Army medic, there is very little 'realism' in any of the games. If you want medical realism, then the side that comes up with the best cure for dysentery should get a morale advantage.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    During the battle several houses were turned into field hospitals. Then after the battle and after The Army of Northern Virginia made its way back across the Potomac, those that they couldn't take with them, were left behind, mostly the dead, but there were a few wounded that couldn't make the trip for fear it would kill them, and they left themselves to the mercy of the Army of The Potomac's medical division. At that time many public buildings also became make shift hospitals. In fact the whole area was one great big hospital for a long time.

But during the battle, Miller's barn was a Union field hospital, Pry Mill also became a Union field hospital, and on the Confederate side several churches in Sharpsburg proper became Confederate field hospitals.

USA Captain

a garden could be hospital at the moment however,
    hope bandi or simple medic tool appear in a place. of course,,no doctor or nurse,,they are not in the battlefield

USA 1st Lieutenant

To reiterate, in the scale this game is set in, with the distances and times of the day, a hospital does not make sense on the battlefield, with or without medical attention.

I would be interested in seeing battlefield detritus scattered around, based on the location and amount of fighting- say some bodies, rifles, destroyed cannon, etc.- but not a hospital.

Best,
    Dman979

USA Captain

In fact..at that time soldiers mostly help each other, take the injured to hospital,,in the end of battle

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post

I really feel like laser-like focus should be on developing one feature at a time. Right now infantry combat. Maybe some more later once that works well.

Field hospitals really didn't exist normally in the Civil War during the action. In fact they were often pretty bad at setting good ones up. And it wasn't until 1864 the Union created a well-organized ambulance system.

There were in fact aid stations set up with surgeons not far behind the lines sometimes but what purpose would they serve in a game? In my opinion, wounded should be represented in an ideal game by twitching, moving, etc. bodies. Is it worth the effort? Probably not. Taking care of your wounded, if implemented, should have a positive effect on morale resiliency of the team (not specifically talking about the current morale feature). Most people always wanted a medic to 'reclaim' reinforcements or spawn tickets which really doesn't make sense since a medic / surgeons job is not having a numbers effect on the strength of units during a battle itself. I do believe the morale factor makes sense. If your casualties aren't getting taken care of it sucks a lot more than if they do. And you start to imagine yourself laying wounded without aid.
    I really do not even try to disparage this,,,, please, ... poor guy... you are more have more intelligence than this,,, look at how Lee handled his wounded at sharpsburg ,, just get a grasp on reality and .. I ... always ,, felt you were well read.. there is no way you could make the statement before.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.