Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a field hospital?

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Field hospitals really didn't exist normally in the Civil War during the action. In fact they were often pretty bad at setting good ones up. And it wasn't until 1864 the Union created a well-organized ambulance system.
    I'm normally down with most of what you represent here Poorlaggedman, but I have to provide a little information on the medical care and Union Army ambulance system, in respect to Antietam, as it is the represented time of the WoR game. A.P., I'm ashamed that you didn't catch this! :P

For those that have been to Antietam (dev team and locals, I'm looking at you), you should be fully aware that the Pry House is run by the National Museum of Civil War Medicine and has set up displays in the Pry House and the Pry House barn to represent the significance of Civil War Medicine and the established work of Jonathan Letterman prior to, and at Antietam. I'm not going to go into the detail of Major Letterman's work, but if you'd like to read a brief description, you can find it here: Maj. Jonathan Letterman, but in short, the ambulance system was established post 1st Bull Run but prior to Antietam, and was praised for having the wounded off the battlefield at Antietam within 24 hours. The success had very much to do with supply chain management to Baltimore and Washington, but you'll read about that in the brief description. It's rather short but informative.

Hope you all enjoy.

I don't have a preference one way or the other, whether its represented in-game. Neat, maybe, not the priority effort at this time, probably.

Oh, and P.S., lets not forget Clara Barton's work at Antietam.
    Clara Barton - Antietam
    Last edited by dmurray6; 01-06-2018 at 03:21 AM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Captain

I feel like the extent of 'healing' in this game should be a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourniquet which would, like staying in formation, lower moral loss.

Honestly, it probably won't be worth the effort designing a system as most commanders probably won't bother with the very limited medical system available in game because it was constrained historically. And correct me if wrong, but I doubt you would be seeing a victim of an enemy volley come back from the hospital and fighting again. Not to mention how out of place it would feel in an otherwise very realistic game.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    but I doubt you would be seeing a victim of an enemy volley come back from the hospital and fighting again.
    ^^ This. It's just not possible to make it feasible in an American Civil game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    ^^ This. It's just not possible to make it feasible in an American Civil game.
    Well, it's possible to do, just not possible to do in a US Civil War game and not feel out of place or tacky. That was my main point.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Well, it's possible to do, just not possible to do in a US Civil War game and not feel out of place or tacky. That was my main point.
    Yeah I was agreeing with you lol

USA Lieutenant General

I'm not a big fan of any medic class feature or "last stand" call of duty thing.

This game focuses on infantry combat. Being shot even if not fatal removes you from the fight. You are done, there is no quick "oh I feel better now and can continue on." Yes there are cases of individuals going on but that is not the expected standard. If shot by a .58 or .69 caliber minie, ball, Buck and ball you are likely dead, about to be dead, eventually dead, or disabled.

That's my view of it.

I think Field hospitals or aid stations....if done should only be visual.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Johnson View Post
    I think Field hospitals or aid stations....if done should only be visual.
    That's the best way to do it, only add them visually to enhance the atmosphere.

CSA Captain

Agreed that would work