Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was life like during the Civil War era :?

CSA Major General

How was life like during the Civil War era :?

On the fields of battle

For us immortals or time travellers or maybe undead could tell some war stories, but most resort to reenactment.

Capt. Cleburne (FIGHT Black Phoenix on the forum) gets a mention at '1:45'.

The folk at home (1864)

Not everyone was drafted or volunteered, so how did they pass their time ?

I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

So shouldn't this be in off topic, since the game is about the war not life in general? And if you're serious, why use Conan clips instead of actual documentaries showcasing reenactors... this post makes no since, and frankly is making jokes about reenactors, kinda rude... :/
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by csheffield1 View Post
    So shouldn't this be in off topic, since the game is about the war not life in general? And if you're serious, why use Conan clips instead of actual documentaries showcasing reenactors... this post makes no since, and frankly is making jokes about reenactors, kinda rude... :/
    Not taking things so seriously
    If you read the forum you will notice some people take things real serious, and there is nothing wrong with that but sometimes a bit of perspective and some humour can help a lot.
    Most of us already watch series and videos about the civil war, some even reenact or are history buffs ... this is another point of view. (again well ment)

Reenactment and Conan O'Brien
    I like reenactment and the energy and effort put in to it and please don't get the impression that 'Conan O'Brien' is trying to hurt feelings ... it's what he does, sure maybe there's a few bad jokes in there but it's all meant well. (he brings attention and hightlights things his way)
    I also like cosplay, some clothes and gear some make are just plain art.

For the point it's a bit off topic, you may be right.

Note : funny thing you react on me posting Conan, while the 'ginger well looking' man on your avatar reminds me off someone ...

Csheffield1.jpg
    Last edited by Redleader; 12-31-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Not taking things so seriously
    If you read the forum you will notice some people take things real serious, and there is nothing wrong with that but sometimes a bit of perspective and some humour can help a lot.
    Most of us already watch series and videos about the civil war, some even reenact or are history buffs ... this is another point of view. (again well ment)

Reenactment and Conan O'Brien
    I like reenactment and the energy and effort put in to it and please don't get the impression that 'Conan O'Brien' is trying to hurt feelings ... it's what he does, sure maybe there's a few bad jokes in there but it's all meant well. (he brings attention and hightlights things his way)
    I also like cosplay, some clothes and gear some make are just plain art.

For the point it's a bit off topic, you may be right.

Note : funny thing you react on me posting Conan, while the 'ginger well looking' man on your avatar reminds me off someone ...

Csheffield1.jpg
    It's not you posting Conan, it's just that the post seems to be too of topic to be in the general section didn't mean to come off as a hard head. And as for Conan, nothing against him, just the context you put him in, as being completely accurate (I mean for goodness sake, my avatar IS Conan) doesn't seem right, and should really be in off topic if that's the case.

On the case of reenactment, I am a Reenactor, but the unit's that are in the clips, specifically the battle, are not thread counters, or farbs... They're Farb Counters... The commands, and the amount of independent fire when the battle begins are horrendous, yet they have such a thread counter mindset. (As we call them in my unit, they're FBT's or Fat Bearded Troopers, the ones who say that someone who's using an Enfield for a regiment that MIGHT not have them is wrong, and shouldn't be a reenactor, while being about 30 years older than the average soldier, and way too large to be living off of Civil War rations)

And on the forum, let's be honest, the community is run by about 10-20 people who think they know more than most people, or devs for that matter. I don't come on here much anymore, or talk in game much, because it's either:

A: A 12 year old trying to claim the rank of Major General and have us use nothing but bayonets.
    B: A group of leaders who claim the largest companies in game, and therefore see themselves as developers or moderators, which they aren't... anymore for some.

So in conclusion, the post isn't bad, just misplaced in my opinion.

Sorry I ranted a bit there at the end didn't I
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

A: A 12 year old trying to claim the rank of Major General and have us use nothing but bayonets.
    B: A group of leaders who claim the largest companies in game, and therefore see themselves as developers or moderators, which they aren't... anymore for some...
    This is one of the more significant issues in this community. Some of these people will even look down on others solely based on the fact that they are part of the other side and not take someone seriously.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    This is one of the more significant issues in this community. Some of these people will even look down on others solely based on the fact that they are part of the other side and not take someone seriously.
    I completely agree.
    While I am southern, I play Union 50% of the time (You have to admit, those uniforms are great looking) and don't discriminate. The Union isn't full of 12 year old's, nor is the south full of bayonet charging fools, it's equally distributed. But unfortunately, the old politics of North and South found their way into the WoR community (Not the Dev team or actual game, just community) I fear it will, and already has, ruined the community, sadly...
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

CSA Captain

But unfortunately, the old politics of North and South found their way into the WoR community (Not the Dev team or actual game, just community) I fear it will, and already has, ruined the community, sadly...
    I find that kind of thing 'amusing' simply because it's born out of ignorance. The 'old' politics only existed behind the lines during the war, and to a large extent it was a war fought without that kind of animosity between the soldiers themselves. A myriad of letters bear witness to the utter lack of hatred that existed between most men of both sides, a lot of those boys were even confused as to why they were fighting other boys who were Americans, and so much like themselves. I myself, am English, but I have been a re-enactor. I met a lot of American re-enactors during those fifteen odd years both in Europe and in the States and the ONE thing, more than anything else, that stood out with those American lads was how very aware they were that they were representing their forefathers during the defining moments of their nation.

In other words it comes down to one thing, respect. Respect in the FPS gaming community, as everyone knows, is in very short supply indeed. If the WoR community is going to be any different it is up to the players themselves because the kind of silly 'us V them' bickering does no credit to anyone, and especially not to the men of America who fought the war itself.

when a meme thread becomes a legitimate discussion

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    when a meme thread becomes a legitimate discussion
    That has been the norm for awhile.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I find that kind of thing 'amusing' simply because it's born out of ignorance. The 'old' politics only existed behind the lines during the war, and to a large extent it was a war fought without that kind of animosity between the soldiers themselves. A myriad of letters bear witness to the utter lack of hatred that existed between most men of both sides, a lot of those boys were even confused as to why they were fighting other boys who were Americans, and so much like themselves. I myself, am English, but I have been a re-enactor. I met a lot of American re-enactors during those fifteen odd years both in Europe and in the States and the ONE thing, more than anything else, that stood out with those American lads was how very aware they were that they were representing their forefathers during the defining moments of their nation.

In other words it comes down to one thing, respect. Respect in the FPS gaming community, as everyone knows, is in very short supply indeed. If the WoR community is going to be any different it is up to the players themselves because the kind of silly 'us V them' bickering does no credit to anyone, and especially not to the men of America who fought the war itself.
    I didn't mean the actual war, sorry for not clarifying I meant the old mod on Warband. Those politics, make it near impossible to form a new company without respect from one of the "Big Dogs" of the community, meaning someone who might be a great leader has to fall into one of these huge organizations, that will put them in as cannon fodder to soak up bullets, while the officers sit on their high horse, blaming each mistake on the soldiers they command. I'm not saying make the game a bunch of 10 man companies, but rather, roughly 25 man companies, because if things continue the way they are now, it will be a couple of small companies, standing no chance against the 100 man companies, both on the field, and in the community.

I agree on respect, which I notice from an increasing amount of players, on both sides, (seems to be those big dogs I was talking about earlier) is quite... lacking. Certain Union Commanders insult Confederate Commanders, some Confederate Commanders insult Union Commanders, and have successfully split the community. I know of one Confederate player, who, when there are no more CSA slots left, will literally throw down his rifle, and run to the other side, yelling "Don't Shoot!" so he can feel like a Confederate, which is just sad.

And I am a reenactor as well, I understand what your saying about the politics of the war, and I don't mind those politics being implemented in a sort of fashion here, but in a respectable way. If you prefer to go CSA or Vise Versa, great, but remember, this is a game, not an actual war. If the CS is full, it's not going to kill you to go blue for a while.

The lack of respect on these forums and in game is honestly outrageous and ridiculous. And no one except for the devs and a select few seem to care.
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed