Thread: Alpha/Beta (I promise its not the regular)

Alpha/Beta (I promise its not the regular)

Bear with me on this developers, I know you have heard the question, 'oh when's beta coming out' a billion and a half times, BUT, I have a different yet similar inquiry.

Is thinking of Alpha as focusing on skirmishes and core infantry combat (roughly) and Beta focusing on the larger battles and grander scheme mechanics (roughly) a good way to think of the two development stages? As vague and possibly inaccurate as those sound, they would answer a whole slew of questions for me on the development side of things and perhaps others as well.

The impression I'm getting is that you are structuring it around taking all of the smaller maps and mechanics, developing them by themselves, refining them with high volume concentrated player counts, then you will piece them together in the grander full map battles. Am I assuming too much?

It is not so much content at this stage that is holding us back (plenty of games have launched on early access with less) but stability. Our programmers are focusing on the flag bearer spawn system currently as their last major core mechanic (they are also working on limiting gunslinging officers) before they'll focus on restructuring of the code which will drastically improve the stability of things. More on that as we get there though.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    It is not so much content at this stage that is holding us back (plenty of games have launched on early access with less) but stability. Our programmers are focusing on the flag bearer spawn system currently as their last major core mechanic (they are also working on limiting gunslinging officers) before they'll focus on the restructuring of the code which will drastically improve the stability of things. More on that as we get there though.

- Trusty
    I know it's not the content, but, answering this with a 'yeah it's kinda close' would enlighten me to as to what type of mechanics you still want to do in Alpha and what you want to do in Beta of which you did a little bit in your response. The map size has a great deal to do with that along with the style of the maps, hence me using skirmishes versus grand battles.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    I know it's not the content, but, answering this with a 'yeah it's kinda close' would enlighten me to as to what type of mechanics you still want to do in Alpha and what you want to do in Beta of which you did a little bit in your response. The map size has a great deal to do with that along with the style of the maps, hence me using skirmishes versus grand battles.
    You're not getting anything closer to an answer out of me than the above.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    You're not getting anything closer to an answer out of me than the above.

- Trusty
    Fair enough, answer above was helpful so the response is appreciated.