Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the TK'ing?

Why the TK'ing?

This post is me genuinely asking the community a question that hopefully will spark proper talking about the subject of teamkilling. Teamkilling used to be something that was a rare occurrence. It is the opposite now. I do understand that mistakes are made, and that is perfectly fine. I just played a game with 30 people and saw teamkilling at least eleven times; none were purposeful from what I am aware. Teamkilling is something we all hate, but it seems that we still see it plenty of times. So it begs the question, why?

My theory is twofold. The first reason is that because of the drop in active units; recruiting, for a while now, has been on a precipitous decline. So, this means we see either a lot of hasty recruiting with little to no training just for the sake of saying, 'Oh look how many people we have!', Alternatively, many people who just aren't part of a unit are playing the game with essentially no knowledge. These two groups of untrained people within a unit and non-unit people are the majority of the people we see teamkilling. The second reason ties into the first. The active units do not spend time familiarizing people with the game. Drilling and marching and does not equate to being familiar with the game. Drilling and marching equates to being familiar with a handful of commands and some history; a game is different. Familiarizing yourself with the game means knowing its nuances, the little tricks, tips, funny little oddities within the game (of which an Alpha version of a game has a plethora of). It is these very oddities, tips, tricks, and nuances not being taught to people that are the cause of this. These nuances range from the small but quick to find details you can look for to quickly ID a person at a distance to knowing the systems of the game itself such as the formations buff system. These types of nuances and details are what cause people to teamkill. On the other hand, you have the apparent lack of common sense training. Common sense training entails things like, 'Don't step in front of a skirmishing group that is firing,' 'Don't go running towards a line by yourself and say nothing because someone will shoot you.'. Lack of common sense training is what causes people to be teamkilled.

I am not asking units to spend a ton of time doing this, but I guarantee if you do this you will see a drop in teamkilling and you may even see some higher attendance in drill. Why? If your officers put their minds to it, I am sure they can come up with a creative exercise to teach these drills and keep it entertaining. You cannot make drill just marching and firing drills, that is incredibly boring. Teach some new formations, branch out, and if you do this drill will become interesting as people are learning things and not repeating it.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 01-24-2018 at 02:56 PM.

USA General of the Army

Sadly the Reasons are as numerous as the TKs themselves ...
    - To Cycle a map
    - Inexperienced Players
    - Goofing off
    - Revenge for an accidental TK that wasn't apologized for
    - Unit Rivalries
    - Personal Rivalries
    - Griefing by asshats
    - Heat of Battle
    - Fog of War
    and that's just off the top of my head so I have, most assuredly, missed many more.

Debate the merits, of these reasons, all we want but as long as a game has a TK mechanic it has always been a problem.
    Sure, people get better and Private Servers will ban the worst offenders but it will still remain a "Reality of War".

I completely agree that continued, and better, Training is a must.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Sadly the Reasons are as numerous as the TKs themselves ...
    - To Cycle a map
    II Corps can tell us all about that one.

Accidental TKs happen all the time and you seem to have ruling that out far too much. Did the 1stTX not accidently wipe out a friendly CSA line due to fog of war the other day? 42ndPA have done the same to a USA frinedly line before. It happens and you're looking into it too much. Only on rare occations are the TKs actually done with ill intenet.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    II Corps can tell us all about that one.
    Like I stated before, the whole generalisation doesn't help the current state of affairs.
    We understand the issue and II corps command is resolving it.

Mc Muffin has a point though about people getting recruited in certain company's and due to their inexperience or lack of discipline cause problems.
    Much every game these days has to deal with these kind of problems and you'll always spot the bad apples first even if 90% of the basket are good apples

Other aspects are indeed :
    • The range (at range it's hard to tell uniforms, unless someone is waving a gigantic flag)
    • Melee combat (you need to get the hang of melee combat, if both teams are heavily engaged close range .. tk's will be an issue)
    • The blue uniforms for the CSA, you can't imagine how many times I needed to yell .. Friendly (well with a Southern accent).

McMuffin, it's true .. it's sometimes common sense.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Major

Steady lads, keep the name-calling behind closed doors.

USA Brigadier General

Well I didn't recognised a rise of tks it's more the opposite.

The blue CSA uniform is hard for both sides (greetings to Corporal Behrens of the 18th NC who marched with us about 5 minutes until we recognised him xD)
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

Also the accuracy of the weapons or should I say the inaccuracy.
    Many times I shoot at a enemy only to see the player to his left or right fall and sometimes it ends up being a team mate.
    I killed A P Hill like that just the other day I was shooting at a enemy up a fence line only to see the player just off his right fall.
    I was pleased at least get a the kill until I noticed in chat that it was A P Hill and he was on our side.
    I apologized and asked what he was doing so far ahead of our line.
    His response killing Yankees.
    Last edited by Leifr; 01-24-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Be civil.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    LOL. The most irritating part of that incident was I had actually survived being bayneted, my screen was all psychedelic, and swirling all over the place. I had just managed a reload my rifle, while kneeling, but saw more yanks than I could probably fend off coming, so with those screen conditions, I turned to run back to my lines, thinking I'm gonna get shot in the back sure as hell, but no, the above post happened.

I'm still a bullet magnet whether it comes from the yanks or the rebs.

Almost all of the reasons brought up in addition to what I said are valid reasons that contribute to so much TK'ing in the game, and mot of them are small oddities within the game that some nuance training like I brought up can help with. Sadly though, John Cooley's reasons that are not linked to nuance training are also very valid. A lot of people TK on purpose for fun or out of spite, and that is the worst but sometimes the hardest to prove.

Also, please do not start putting out names of units or people in this thread because I suspect this thread will be locked or deleted, for good reason, because this will get out of hand, and so far I am seeing good discussion about this topic so I would hate to see it deleted.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 01-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.

CSA Captain

So sorry McMuffen for putting someones name in my post you are correct that appears to be uncivil.
    Although naming units appears to be fair game.
    Thank you for your kind edit Leifr.