Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the TK'ing?

CSA Major

Pvt. L.J. Perreira

Quote Originally Posted by LJPII View Post
    "Friendly Fire" is authentic, and a reality of warfare. There are many true life examples of friendly fire in the Civil War. There are examples of whole units mistaking other units as either friendlies or enemies, and paying for it. There are also examples of individuals "fragging" (to use a Vietnam War era term) fellow soldiers, as well as officers, in the Civil War. So, while it sucks, it's authentic.
    The post was made because, while I wholeheartedly agree with friendly fire being authentic, we have seen a drastic surge in teamkilling so I was explaining why I thought the surge was occurring and let some others give their opinion also.

USA Brigadier General

Miller's corn field is definitely a tk paradise, I noted one confederate tk twice in a game. Flags and using proper formations will help with tks until Hell lets loose and there is confusion.
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

CSA Captain

I know it's an old thread but.....Over the past week I've noticed the disasterous effects that melee has. TKing does happen from firing, but it's rare, once in melee however it's appaling. I agree that friendly fire was a part and parcel of combat in the Civil War, but stabbing someone by accident? that's kind of hard to swallow. Most of the time it's due to FPS etc, and I KNOW some people do spam that button once they're in melee but I'd still like to ask, is if there is any way to remove friendly fire from Melee?
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA Major

I'm convinced some don't care about the issue of T'king as much as some of us do so stab like crazy when in a fray without first looking at what they're stabbing at. There needs to be some control with it.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 08-27-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    and I KNOW some people do spam that button once they're in melee but I'd still like to ask, is if there is any way to remove friendly fire from Melee?
    Like you said, without friendly fire, people would just stab like crazy.
    Removing it would make it even more arcade, because you don't need to watch out.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    IMHO, I think we may experience a rise with this issue, as players who are wanting to play one side, and one side only, are "forced" to a side they'd rather not play, so they start wasting tickets on the side they don't want to be on, thinking this may hurry that particular skirmish along so they think they have a better chance of getting back to their side of choice sooner.

Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    IMHO, I think we may experience a rise with this issue, as players who are wanting to play one side, and one side only, are "forced" to a side they'd rather not play, so they start wasting tickets on the side they don't want to be on, thinking this may hurry that particular skirmish along so they think they have a better chance of getting back to their side of choice sooner.

Just something to consider.

Most likely yes, I've seen multiple groups do this because they 'want to play on the other side' and so the ones stuck on the union run over and start shooting at their own team as if they were confederates, same goes for the other way around.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Removing it would make it even more arcade, because you don't need to watch out.
    Well that was my point, kind of, you can't 'watch out' because most of the time you have no idea who you are fighting. Once the suppression kicks in and you loose color, well, you all know what that's like. With the player base you have at the moment most of the men take care, when firing their weapons, not to hit comrades. In melee, no matter how much care you take, it's almost impossible not to hurt a friendly. It's not JUST about the game mechanics either, as I'm sure you are aware lag, differing FPS etc, all play a part.

We are in closed Alpha, the people here now have paid a lot of money JUST to be here, and we still get griefers. Imagine what this will be like once you get the 'regular' players in WoR. With the system you have in place it will be almost impossible to ban people for team killing, because it happens all too easily by pure accident. The 'purist' in me would like to see the feature stay, I'm very aware that friendly fire happened in the Civil War. The 'gamer' in me however, realises that you are building a rod for your own back here, if you put a feature in a game that can be 'exploited' then players will exploit it, NO question. Friendly fire adds realism, but even now, when your players largely co-operate with the system, it detracts from the gameplay. Once you have players in the game who will kill their comrades 'for fun', or just because they don't care, you'll be in a lot of trouble. In my honest opinion, the minuses outweigh the pluses, while you could 'possibly' sort out a griefer who is shooting his comrades, you'll never be able to do this with melee.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Griefers are gonna be a huge problem compared to what they are now, no doubt of that. TKing is the most obvious thing, not the most damaging though. We had a guy running around hitting each player once with the butt of his rifle a couple weeks ago on Pry Ford. There's definitely been a surge due to the autoswitch which is another reason why I dislike it. In my experience the players separated from their units are always reluctant AF and half the time they're still in voice comms with the other team leaving the potential for spying on them or spying for them. It just makes everything a headache. It's mostly accidents right now. Meelee is wonky.

I put in my server host questions thread (I'll have to revive it soon) a request for admins to see all team damage in their console or even have a separate page (like the player 'rating' page) which shows their team damage inflicted in that round, even if they reconnect and come back if possible. It's nothing for a troll to reconnect just before they hit the limit and come back. Meanwhile honest players retaliate and are autobanned. There was a guy in my last community that did this incessantly and came back every time someone started a new server where he wasn't banned. He was around for five years and that's all he did. So transparency of trolling is important so it can be dealt with. There also has to be an ability to set a TK auto ban system (as opposed to kick). Things like the limit and specifics really need to be server-side to allow for special cases. I definitely don't like forgiving systems, many people will forgive instantly and always expect to be forgiven while they'll be no less reckless. Auto kicks and Auto bans teach people to grow and change their behavior.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n