Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the TK'ing?

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post

Another thing I think would help with reducing teamkilling is removing the annoying effect of how the player tag slowly gets more prominent, in mass chaos it can help people to quickly ID who is friendly and who is a foe. Also, it makes assembling at spawn harder as you have to get close to people to tell who they are. This is especially prominent in sunken road where the Union charges with their already confusing uniforms and people cannot distinguish them, so they just shoot or stab regardless. Many people also use the T function, or at least used to use it, when hiding behind a tree at a cap point to tell if the person coming up to them was a friendly or an enemy. With the new fading in some people cannot distinguish until they are up close and by then they have already aimed and are ready to shoot whatever is coming around that tree because they are assuming it is an enemy, but it often is not an enemy. It is arguable that these are small issues and do not matter, okay then, whatis the reason for having the player tag slowly fade in?
    You gave the reason why in your post.

We don't want you to be able to tell if an enemy or friendly is approaching while you're hiding behind a tree.

- Trusty

USA Major

One thing I'm in favor of and I've mentioned it before but I'd like to see a bit more distinction between uniforms. I know how historically some units - particularly Confederates - had certain uniforms with blue in them and then there were examples like in Fredericksburg where Confederates would go out at night and strip down the Union dead for shoes, trousers, sack coats, whatever as their own clothes we're disintegrating off of them so they would end up in blue. With that said I believe the historical accuracy of uniforms is great to an extent, but when I'm playing a game and spinning around in melee, I want to know the guy I'm plunging my bayonet into is in fact the enemy and right now it's sometimes hard to distinguish. That would certainly cut down on the team killing but at the small sacrifice of some historical accuracy.

But then again you can make the strong argument that shooting guys on your own side was somewhat common in the Civil War - and it was in some cases and in certain battles - so by keeping it 'as is', it is historically accurate. I would say that the percentage of team kills we have on any given map compared with the relative small numbers fighting on the servers, that killing guys on our own side is much higher by percentage in-game than it was in the Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    You gave the reason why in your post.

We don't want you to be able to tell if an enemy or friendly is approaching while you're hiding behind a tree.

- Trusty
    Fair enough, but is that really worth the tradeoffs that I mentioned? The tradeoffs are a lot of inconveniences to the player and units as on the fly organization suffers significantly and in the current state of the game, organizing as quickly as possible is a vital thing. And you have us spawn in large waves of people, grouping up can be a nightmare at times, especially in bigger events.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    One thing I'm in favor of and I've mentioned it before but I'd like to see a bit more distinction between uniforms. I know how historically some units - particularly Confederates - had certain uniforms with blue in them and then there were examples like in Fredericksburg where Confederates would go out at night and strip down the Union dead for shoes, trousers, sack coats, whatever as their own clothes we're disintegrating off of them so they would end up in blue. With that said I believe the historical accuracy of uniforms is great to an extent, but when I'm playing a game and spinning around in melee, I want to know the guy I'm plunging my bayonet into is in fact the enemy and right now it's sometimes hard to distinguish. That would certainly cut down on the team killing but at the small sacrifice of some historical accuracy.

But then again you can make the strong argument that shooting guys on your own side was somewhat common in the Civil War - and it was in some cases and in certain battles - so by keeping it 'as is', it is historically accurate. I would say that the percentage of team kills we have on any given map compared with the relative small numbers fighting on the servers, that killing guys on our own side is much higher by percentage in-game than it was in the Civil War.
    This is the most significant debate when making a historical game, how far do you go to stay historical while still trying to make a game. Do we want to remain as historic as possible and maintain the amount of uniform mix matching we see, or do we want to substantially reduce it to a small handful for the sake of gameplay and annoyances? Hell, this question is what most of the debates on these forums are about.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 01-25-2018 at 12:16 AM.

While we're not going to change the uniform colours of the 12th SC we will be replacing them on most skirmish areas on Antietam as we'd like to use them in a more fitting skirmish area yet to be released (Hill's Counterattack).

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    While we're not going to change the uniform colours of the 12th SC we will be replacing them on most skirmish areas on Antietam as we'd like to use them in a more fitting skirmish area yet to be released (Hill's Counterattack).

- Trusty
    Who would replace the 12th South Carolina on the maps they are present?
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    I dunno! Maybe actual units that fought in those areas?

Back to the topic, regarding the blue uniforms on Confederates, possibly gray uniforms on Federals .... Unlike in this game where everyone is running around pretty much on their own accord, during the war, those units dressed in differing colors were usually intermingled with a vast larger group of others not wearing the same discordant colors.

Yes there are records of blue on blue fire on both sides, like here in the game due to smoke and dust and distance, and people being where they ought not ... that's what causes the most blue on blue.

And I agree, uniform colors shouldn't change or be "highlighted" in some fashion to indicate sides ...

smiley_salute.gif

USA Brigadier General

please don't hate but i have a crazy idea:

use the color bearer and stay with him

Once the flag bearer is a spawn point nobody want to miss him and will use it so I hope the colors of uniforms dont get a rework. Friendly fire and mistakes were part of the war. Just think on 1st Manassas.
    The colors had historically multiple tasks and function and one was to identify a regiment so let them do their work.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    There will be new units added, which replace the 12th South Carolina.

Like they will get replaced on the Sunken Road skirmish area by another, new historical unit *tease*

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    There will be new units added, which replace the 12th South Carolina.

Like they will get replaced on the Sunken Road skirmish area by another, new historical unit *tease*
    My guess would be a North Carolina or Alabama regiment. 6th Alabama?

General Lee arrived to investigate and was told by Col. John B Gordon of the 6th Alabama that, "The men are going to stay here, General, till the sun goes down or victory is won!" By the end of the fight, Gordon was wounded six times, knocked out, and fell into his hat, which was filling with his own blood. Gordon would survive only because a hole had been blown into the hat, allowing the blood to drain.

CSA Captain

“The men that held the centre could die, but they could not fly”

Cullen A. Battle, commander of the 3rd Alabama writes proudly of the men who carried the regiment’s colors