Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the TK'ing?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Could this inspire another "Fighting Men of WoR"?

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    I can only speak for my experience on the CSA side, I play Union only to balance teams or in certain events.

1. Sunken road : some of us wear 12th Carolina uniforms (blue), it's fine when staying in line but in a charge of coming in from spawn (certainly when Union are in the corn) you probably get friendly lead balls going your way.
    2. Pry Grist Mill : the mill itself can be a deathtrap if players don't know who holds a certain floor, also a uniform problem for some.
    3. Sunken road & Hooker's push : these are big maps and it's hard to tell at range who's who (for the cap it's simple to know who has it ... press 'T')
    4. Wood maps : the CSA is forming up on certain points lately to push forward, before we had units pushing over cap and coming back ... and get shot. (think bot faction has certain points to form up)
    5. Corn maps : it get's way messy if there aren't any lines (or officer lead) or when units are further up.
    To be honest, Sunken Road & Hooker's Push TK's can be avoided if you fly your colors. The corn and wooded maps are very difficult. The only thing you can do there is to stick close to your unit.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDewitt View Post
    To be honest, Sunken Road & Hooker's Push TK's can be avoided if you fly your colors. The corn and wooded maps are very difficult. The only thing you can do there is to stick close to your unit.
    Most people do not do that because right now it serves no purpose, and in Hooker's Push, it will give away your position.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Most people do not do that because right now it serves no purpose, and in Hooker's Push, it will give away your position.
    Fact, we even hold fire since the muzzle flashes give away our position ... we usually avoid TK's there cause we are/or are not on cap (if we press 'T' we can tell).
    When charges happen (like at the rocks/fence/Union side of cap) it gets harder

In Bloody Lane it's the uniforms mostly and the limited sight in corn/forest and like John said : better stay close to your own unit and hope other units are informed
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Captain

It does serve a purpose. Not TK'ing.

It does serve a purpose. Not TK'ing.
    Well then it does not work very well because a lot of people are not using it, even experienced units.

CSA Captain

Well then it does not work very well because a lot of people are not using it, even experienced units.
    This is more of a mindset problem though. Of course, someone has to sacrifice themselves and do the boring job of carrying a flag around. Most of the experienced units I've seen are of the opinion they'd rather have another rifle and overestimate their ability to recognize friend from foe. Now this may be true, but what they do not put into the equation is other people recognizing them as friendlies too. Carrying colors isn't about you identifying others but others identifying you. If you don't carry colors then you are that much more susceptible to being shot at by friendlies or even being volleyed.

This is more of a mindset problem though. Of course, someone has to sacrifice themselves and do the boring job of carrying a flag around. Most of the experienced units I've seen are of the opinion they'd rather have another rifle and overestimate their ability to recognize friend from foe. Now this may be true, but what they do not put into the equation is other people recognizing them as friendlies too. Carrying colors isn't about you identifying others but others identifying you. If you don't carry colors then you are that much more susceptible to being shot at by friendlies or even being volleyed.
    You're further proving my point, most experienced units and units, in general, would prefer to have a rifle than a giant flag that would give away their position and the element of surprise. The chances of entire units firing on each other and massacring each other or one in specific are pretty small, I have only seen it twice in my whole 210 hours of playing the game.

CSA Major

Fresh from a skirmish on Hookers Push - there were four or five TK's on the Union side. Most were caused by skirmishers being up in the rocks on the right and fresh troops coming through the corn didn't identify them as friendly. This is likely to be an experience thing, a case of wanting to shoot something rather than wait for clear target identification. Sadly I managed to kill a friendly in a melee as I stabbed at a Reb who was already being engaged. I hit the Reb but only after pushing my bayonet through a friendly's back (sorry Duke!). I keep forgetting that we can now TK with bayonets and perhaps that is another reason for the increase in TKs.

CSA Major

"Friendly Fire" is authentic, and a reality of warfare. There are many true life examples of friendly fire in the Civil War. There are examples of whole units mistaking other units as either friendlies or enemies, and paying for it. There are also examples of individuals "fragging" (to use a Vietnam War era term) fellow soldiers, as well as officers, in the Civil War. So, while it sucks, it's authentic.
    Pvt. L.J. Perreira