Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the TK'ing?

USA General of the Army

How would people rank maps per TKing? I'm sure if we all made a personal list of all the current maps by order of the maps we see the most TKs on vs the maps we see the least TKs on we'd see something of a possible patter.

CSA Major

For me,
    1. Millers cornfield
    2. Wooded maps (sorry I cant remember if its North or West woods)
    3. Bloody lane (the melee just gets really confusing and the corn to the rear doesn't help)
    4. Burnside Bridge when I played a few times as Union (providing poorly aimed covering fire for bridge rushes)

Having thought about it, I wonder if the change to more linear formations has been a reason, at least in my case - as Recon 'cavalry' I was more used to flanking cautiously and could pick my targets with more care. The same is not true at present.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    For me,
    1. Millers cornfield
    2. Wooded maps (sorry I cant remember if its North or West woods)
    3. Bloody lane (the melee just gets really confusing and the corn to the rear doesn't help)
    4. Burnside Bridge when I played a few times as Union (providing poorly aimed covering fire for bridge rushes)

Having thought about it, I wonder if the change to more linear formations has been a reason, at least in my case - as Recon 'cavalry' I was more used to flanking cautiously and could pick my targets with more care. The same is not true at present.
    1. Fully agreed! It's early got one of the highest TK rates I've seen. 2nd Mississippi and 6th Wisconsin being mixed up in fog of war is a big one for that.
    2. East and West woods with people just being in the wrong place and being killed by mistake.
    3. I see more Reb TKs due to the 12th South Carolina causing confustion in the reb lines.
    4. I personally rate it low of the TKing list due to the clear side split across the bridge.

I'd also thrown Pry's Ford in there. Melee for the point results in massive confusion.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    3. I see more Reb TKs due to the 12th South Carolina causing confustion in the reb lines.
    Thats a fair point - I have not fired on Union in the corn because I thought they were SC and I have killed (and been killed as) SC because I thought they were Union. We have had training in uniform recognition several times in Drill Camp but it does get muddled really quickly in the actual skirmishes. However, all soldiers look much the same when they are covered in sh*te (except the US ones I saw in sandy places, I never understood how they could keep so clean). I know TKs are an issue at present, but I'd not like to see it disabled. Its a fact of conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    Thats a fair point - I have not fired on Union in the corn because I thought they were SC and I have killed (and been killed as) SC because I thought they were Union. We have had training in uniform recognition several times in Drill Camp but it does get muddled really quickly in the actual skirmishes. However, all soldiers look much the same when they are covered in sh*te (except the US ones I saw in sandy places, I never understood how they could keep so clean). I know TKs are an issue at present, but I'd not like to see it disabled. Its a fact of conflict.
    Thank you for your feedback.

Tk’s are part of the game and will not be disabled.

- Trusty

CSA Major General

I can only speak for my experience on the CSA side, I play Union only to balance teams or in certain events.

1. Sunken road : some of us wear 12th Carolina uniforms (blue), it's fine when staying in line but in a charge of coming in from spawn (certainly when Union are in the corn) you probably get friendly lead balls going your way.
    2. Pry Grist Mill : the mill itself can be a deathtrap if players don't know who holds a certain floor, also a uniform problem for some.
    3. Sunken road & Hooker's push : these are big maps and it's hard to tell at range who's who (for the cap it's simple to know who has it ... press 'T')
    4. Wood maps : the CSA is forming up on certain points lately to push forward, before we had units pushing over cap and coming back ... and get shot. (think bot faction has certain points to form up)
    5. Corn maps : it get's way messy if there aren't any lines (or officer lead) or when units are further up.

Dunkers Church, Sherrick & Otto farm, Pipers farm ... there is less TK unless lines are breached.

@Trusty : correct me if I'm wrong but if you get 3 tk's on a map you get kicked or banned for a certain time ?
    Last edited by Redleader; 01-24-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post

@Trusty : correct me if I'm wrong but if you get 3 tk's on a map you get kicked or banned for a certain time ?
    You are right.

That doesn't mean TK'ing is not meant to be part of the game though (if it wasn't we would have disabled it alltogether). That is there to stop trolls and griefers.

- Trusty

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    You are right.
    Which one, kicked or banned for a certain time?

Because in all honesty, I can imagine that happening, three teamkills in one match. People suddenly running into your line of fire, mistaking a uniform (esp. when having blurred vision, happens to the best I guess), or, most commonly perhaps, in the turmoil of a stab orgy. :/

Quote Originally Posted by WeeFilly View Post
    Which one, kicked or banned for a certain time?

Because in all honesty, I can imagine that happening, three teamkills in one match. People suddenly running into your line of fire, mistaking a uniform (esp. when having blurred vision, happens to the best I guess), or, most commonly perhaps, in the turmoil of a stab orgy. :/
    It's not in a match. It slowly resets depending on how long it's been since you last tk'ed one. As long as you don't TK a guy every 2nd minute or so you'll be fine.

And it kicks, doesn't ban.

- Trusty

Damn, this thread worked to get people talking about this issue, good to see. Anyways, I am going to try and address multiple topics in one post. The maps listed for TK issues for me are Sunken road because of the Union's uniforms, the uniforms debate is a something worth an entirely separate thread, and Miller's Cornfield. The forest maps usually have units that can be quickly distinguished based on the units having a bright color on them or a very distinctive uniform, so individual and mass-friendly fires do not occur nearly as often. However, when officers and players rush up behind a friendly line or out of nowhere, it should not surprise them someone shoots them or bayonets them.

Teamkilling should one hundred percent stay a game mechanic, do not remove it from -public servers- when private servers come around, and an admin does not want friendly fire on, they should be able to turn it off. Melee friendly fire is an arguable topic, but I think it should stay in as it forces units to develop tactics a bit more to prevent people from always stabbing each other. Melee teamkilling is at a high because most people do not expect that as a function in a game and the current players are still getting used to it, so that should go down relatively soon (of which I have seen it start to decline honestly).

Another thing I think would help with reducing teamkilling is removing the annoying effect of how the player tag slowly gets more prominent, in mass chaos it can help people to quickly ID who is friendly and who is a foe. Also, it makes assembling at spawn harder as you have to get close to people to tell who they are. This is especially prominent in sunken road where the Union charges with their already confusing uniforms and people cannot distinguish them, so they just shoot or stab regardless. Many people also use the T function, or at least used to use it, when hiding behind a tree at a cap point to tell if the person coming up to them was a friendly or an enemy. With the new fading in some people cannot distinguish until they are up close and by then they have already aimed and are ready to shoot whatever is coming around that tree because they are assuming it is an enemy, but it often is not an enemy. It is arguable that these are small issues and do not matter, okay then, whatis the reason for having the player tag slowly fade in?
    Last edited by McMuffin; 01-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.