Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delirium tremens

Delirium tremens

Hello Gentlemen.

Has anyone noticed that their in-game character seems to be a recovering alcoholic or someone with very very weak arms and wrists. When I raise my rifle/musket to shoot it bobs around all over the place ( I could hold a rifle and aim better after drinking 20 pints of Stella Artois ). I realise that maybe the Devs have some reason for making the shooting in the game a bit difficult but the amount of shake is absurd, it is rather difficult to hit a man sized target at 30 yards in game.

After playing War of Rights I decided to take a look at my own shooting in the real world . While I do not posses an Enfield pattern 1853 i do have an SMLE No1 mk111 which is roughly the same weight. What I found was that upon bringing the rifle up to the shoulder it bobs around a little for about half a second (I am not the steadiest old guy with a gun). after this I find I can hold the weapon steady for quite some time and take aim maybe 5 or 6 seconds before it starts to wobble a bit ,at this point I found that I tend to drop the barrel of the gun down a little and then tuck the butt back into my shoulder and the cycle starts again.

Please please please Mr Devs could you tone down the gun wobble by at least 50 percent if not more? It makes the game unnecessarily difficult and also unrealistic, it should be hard to move out in the open without getting hit by a mini ball.

thank you

Ragnar Hairy Trousers
    Sergeant Ragnar Hairy Trousers
    [B]

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar hairy trousers View Post
    Hello Gentlemen.

Has anyone noticed that their in-game character seems to be a recovering alcoholic or someone with very very weak arms and wrists. When I raise my rifle/musket to shoot it bobs around all over the place ( I could hold a rifle and aim better after drinking 20 pints of Stella Artois ). I realise that maybe the Devs have some reason for making the shooting in the game a bit difficult but the amount of shake is absurd, it is rather difficult to hit a man sized target at 30 yards in game.

After playing War of Rights I decided to take a look at my own shooting in the real world . While I do not posses an Enfield pattern 1853 i do have an SMLE No1 mk111 which is roughly the same weight. What I found was that upon bringing the rifle up to the shoulder it bobs around a little for about half a second (I am not the steadiest old guy with a gun). after this I find I can hold the weapon steady for quite some time and take aim maybe 5 or 6 seconds before it starts to wobble a bit ,at this point I found that I tend to drop the barrel of the gun down a little and then tuck the butt back into my shoulder and the cycle starts again.

Please please please Mr Devs could you tone down the gun wobble by at least 50 percent if not more? It makes the game unnecessarily difficult and also unrealistic, it should be hard to move out in the open without getting hit by a mini ball.

thank you

Ragnar Hairy Trousers
    Thank you for the feedback.

We have no plans in regards to lowering the rifle sway (be sure you've got plenty of stamina remaining and also not out of line - the sway is for instance reduced by 50% when you're in formation).

Here at the WoR HQ we have a P53 enfield, M1859 sharps rifle, 1851 colt navy and a few swords - all originals. We're very much aware that the aiming in-game is higher than in "real life" (i.e. standing in a room playing with the artifacts or indeed firing one on the range). This is due to a mixture of both game mechanics and trying to simulate the nerves and fear of a horrible death the soldiers faced on the field.

The majority of weapons of the Civil War were more accurate than the most used during the napolenoics due to rifling/minie balls used. From a gameplay perspective, lowering the shake amount when aiming to a degree you're suggestion would result in far less lines being able to form and fight. The only other solution to this than a simulated combat environment aiming solution is to downright make the weapons less accurate (which I imagine would make a lot of people upset also).

- Trusty

thank you for the swift response Mr Trusty.

Im not sure i understand though why everyone needs to be in tight groups... with the gun shake as it is its almost useless to act as a skirmisher or sharpshooter. Skirmishers and sharpshooters played an important role on the battlefield during the american civil war .. Mr whitworth's amazing rifle being ideal for such work.

Sharpshooter or sniper (I am British lol) is my preferred role on the battlefield while I am happy to fight in line its not always the best solution. Even Fredrick The Great realised that snipers and skirmishers were an important part of an army.

kind regards
    Raggy
    [B]

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you for the feedback.

We have no plans in regards to lowering the rifle sway (be sure you've got plenty of stamina remaining and also not out of line - the sway is for instance reduced by 50% when you're in formation).

Here at the WoR HQ we have a P53 enfield, M1859 sharps rifle, 1851 colt navy and a few swords - all originals. We're very much aware that the aiming in-game is higher than in "real life" (i.e. standing in a room playing with the artifacts or indeed firing one on the range). This is due to a mixture of both game mechanics and trying to simulate the nerves and fear of a horrible death the soldiers faced on the field.

The majority of weapons of the Civil War were more accurate than the most used during the napolenoics due to rifling/minie balls used. From a gameplay perspective, lowering the shake amount when aiming to a degree you're suggestion would result in far less lines being able to form and fight. The only other solution to this than a simulated combat environment aiming solution is to downright make the weapons less accurate (which I imagine would make a lot of people upset also).

- Trusty
    thank you for the swift response Mr Trusty.

Im not sure i understand though why everyone needs to be in tight groups... with the gun shake as it is its almost useless to act as a skirmisher or sharpshooter. Skirmishers and sharpshooters played an important role on the battlefield during the american civil war .. Mr whitworth's amazing rifle being ideal for such work.

Sharpshooter or sniper (I am British lol) is my preferred role on the battlefield while I am happy to fight in line its not always the best solution. Even Fredrick The Great realised that snipers and skirmishers were an important part of an army.

kind regards
    Raggy
    Very interesting book about sharpshooting during the Civil War.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpshooting.../dp/1581607032
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    I like that the battle line style is incentivized as no one would want to do so, otherwise.
    I think that most of the people who will buy this game are the type who want to fight in line... but forcing people to only fight in line does much to destroy any tactical flexibility.

i do think i have a solution to the whole line / skirmish / sharpshooter and accuracy problem... though i dont know if the devs would even consider it??? If the developers are open to suggestions i will post here?????
    [B]

I think that most of the people who will buy this game are the type who want to fight in line... but forcing people to only fight in line does much to destroy any tactical flexibility.

i do think i have a solution to the whole line / skirmish / sharpshooter and accuracy problem... though i dont know if the devs would even consider it??? If the developers are open to suggestions i will post here?????
    That's what this part of the forum is for.

- Trusty

- Trusty
    lol I know... i shall post my ideas shortly sir! i have a hallway to paint first however.

thank you Mr Trusty
    [B]

- Trusty
    Well here goes....

1. Make regimental standards/colours mobile spawn points.
    2. Should a standard bearer be killed he re-spawns at the main spawn area.
    3. The need to protect the mobile spawn encourages people to fight in tight formations i.e lines but does not strictly enforce this .
    4. Skirmishers and other groups can be detached from the main force (allowing tactical flexibility).
    5. Detached troops weaken the main line protecting the spawn/standard.
    6. Detached troops will not be reinforced as quickly and are at greater risk of being wiped out.
    7. A unit with a standard/spawn can carry out a prolonged assault or defence (this makes combat less sporadic and more realistic).
    8. Standard bearers will have a purpose other than looking pretty and also become prime targets.
    9. Rifle accuracy can be improved because reinforcements can join the line more quickly.
    10. Only regimental standards/colours as spawns lest there be too many spawn points.
    11. Should artillery be introduced then the gun or limber could be the spawn point???
    12. With your regimental colours placed on the CAP point battles should last longer and be more bloody.
    13. Improved rifle accuracy deters John Rambos.

kind regards
    Ragnar Fluffy Bottom
    [B]

Well here goes....

1. Make regimental standards/colours mobile spawn points.
    2. Should a standard bearer be killed he re-spawns at the main spawn area.
    3. The need to protect the mobile spawn encourages people to fight in tight formations i.e lines but does not strictly enforce this .
    4. Skirmishers and other groups can be detached from the main force (allowing tactical flexibility).
    5. Detached troops weaken the main line protecting the spawn/standard.
    6. Detached troops will not be reinforced as quickly and are at greater risk of being wiped out.
    7. A unit with a standard/spawn can carry out a prolonged assault or defence (this makes combat less sporadic and more realistic).
    8. Standard bearers will have a purpose other than looking pretty and also become prime targets.
    9. Rifle accuracy can be improved because reinforcements can join the line more quickly.
    10. Only regimental standards/colours as spawns lest there be too many spawn points.
    11. Should artillery be introduced then the gun or limber could be the spawn point???
    12. With your regimental colours placed on the CAP point battles should last longer and be more bloody.
    13. Improved rifle accuracy deters John Rambos.

kind regards
    Ragnar Fluffy Bottom
    1-9 is already verified to be on the way into the game and will cover most of your ideas.

2 and 10 counter each other (you absolutely will need a base spawn area as an optional spawn position).

13: I disagree. Improved rifle accuracy helps the lone guy as much as it does the group in formation (note that the group in formation already currently have 50% less sway than the dude out of line).

- Trusty

1-9 is already verified to be on the way into the game and will cover most of your ideas.

2 and 10 counter each other (you absolutely will need a base spawn area as an optional spawn position).

13: I disagree. Improved rifle accuracy helps the lone guy as much as it does the group in formation (note that the group in formation already currently have 50% less sway than the dude out of line).

- Trusty
    Sorry i was not clear about base spawn... i never meant get rid of the base spawn.

As for point 13. the improved accuracy does help the lone soldier/sharpshooter but then he is not close to his mobile spawn the line he is shooting at also has improved accuracy and spawn ability and can deal with the threat posed by the lone sharpshooter, he may hinder them a little but thats all he will do. Whereas without the mobile spawn a lone shooter can do alot of damage to a unit .
    [B]