Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of match report

This is the most post-game score we should get as to prevent people from going just for kills but will still say, "Hey, these guys did pretty well" when deserved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    I like that idea a great deal, McMuffin. Something akin to actual after action reports where the muster rolls would show each company's Wounded, Dead, and Missing (crashes to desktop? Haha).
    After action reports we have now combined with individual unit reports and that's all we need.

CSA Captain

I do not see any harm in knowing my hitcount only without any reference to any others’ hitcount.

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    I like that idea a great deal, McMuffin. Something akin to actual after action reports where the muster rolls would show each company's Wounded, Dead, and Missing (crashes to desktop? Haha).
    The screenshot McMuffin showed is actually part of our fieldreport, about the Interface
    So its actually a real thing, which is planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    The screenshot McMuffin showed is actually part of our fieldreport, about the Interface
    So its actually a real thing, which is planned.
    Which is why I used it.

USA Captain

This has been discussed before, but I still think Squad's system is a good idea. Provide no feedback in the round, then give individual and regimental scores at the end of the round.

Quote Originally Posted by Takerith View Post
    This has been discussed before, but I still think Squad's system is a good idea. Provide no feedback in the round, then give individual and regimental scores at the end of the round.
    Pretty sure that's what's gonna happen.

No individual scores. Never, ever, ever, ever. Horrible, horrible idea and will fundamentally alter the experience of players so as to remove the imagination as a factor. Good heavens, imagine the screenshots. The player's imagination is a force-multiplier for their own effect, and thus their own enjoyment. Being part of a team who had good effect should suffice unless you personally witness your effect--that should be an occasional treat confirmed by your own observations and never known for certain anyway.

I hope leaving out death messages and individual score was by design, I'd be horrified if it was put in. Nobody ever asked for individual scores in Resistance and Liberation. Still some servers put in plugins that counted rank and let you know your kills:deaths. It radically changed the way players played on those servers, most definitely including myself. Damn the team if I can just get some more kills and move up in rank. I can visualize the screenshots of a 'good game' all over the place, even if it was private to the individual. And for what? To feed curiosity? Not worth the damage to teamwork. Leave players to find their own enjoyment as a team without being slave to numbers like so many other games are inevitably dominated by when they allow them.

As for the 'regiment' scores, specific numbers should stay out of it. There's also the trouble with when a regiment starts and stops and resumes.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 03-02-2018 at 02:47 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

You are still mixing two different approaches:
    1) every player can see a score of everyone = wrong
    2) each player can see its own killcount by the end of match only = good

Imagine the battle ends, total enemy casualties are 100+ and you see, that you have delivered 8 hits (not knowing how many hits resulted in actual casualty). Is the 8 low or high? Are you below avarage or better marksman? You do not know, you cannot compare with others. But it is useful to know how efficient your actual shooting was and if you get the proper idea how the engine, game rules and mechanics work and that you are doing it wrong or right.

As your Resistence&Liberation argument - I played Red Orchestra a lot and it never hurt to see the actual score at the end of the match

A player will get a good frame of reference as to what's good and what isn't. Imagine working as part of a team and thinking you're having an effect and at the end you find out you were getting 0 kills. There's just no reason to add that dimension. It adds nothing to gameplay whatsoever, it only detracts. I'm a normal gamer kill-ratio monger and I don't want it in the game because it's a totally unnecessary measure that players come to depend on. Teamwork is hard--don't buy into the mirage of Alpha events as the future of gameplay.

RO really had little in common with RnL. A core feature of RnL was no individual score at all. It leaves players with nothing else to do but work as a team to win. There's most definitely still individualism but it didn't begin and end with a death message. It meant a lot more when someone compliments you in a game on your killing ability because that means they saw it, a totally different dynamic than someone complimenting a streak of death messages or a score. It makes you much more aware of your environment without death messages either. It takes the emphasis off of merely killing and shifts it to winning.

100% I'll be counting bodies drop if I get an end of round stat, there isn't even a question to this. A whole collective of players will do the same. It's perhaps the best measure of your effectiveness and it needs to not exist for the sake of gameplay. There was always an undercurrent of 'who killed who?', 'how many did I get' in RnL but it was never answered without forensic examination or directly spectating it. That's the way it should be. Last thing I did before the server was shuttered we did a one-life campaign where if you died you were literally out for the remainder of Saturday events - to this day largely nobody knows who killed who even though it's technically logged somewhere on the server. Players aught to wonder. It adds value to the experience.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 03-02-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n