Thread: Dynamic filth

CSA Brigadier General

Dynamic filth

It goes without saying that war is a messy business. Soldiers, depending on the situation might find themselves marching on dusty roads for hours on end, marching in the rain, wading up to their necks in water, being forced to lie still in the muddy ground, unable to move a muscle, be covered in the brain matter of their fallen comrades, or worst of all, find themselves on KP duty. The Civil War was no exception. In fact, it was probably one of the messiest.

maxresdefault.jpg

My idea is to capture how dirty war can be by having players start with clean uniforms and by the end of the match, be covered in filth, depending on their actions.

-marching down the road leads to minor dirt accumulation on the feet
    -running leads to more dirt accumulation
    -marching through the woods leads to leaves and tree branches being stuck to the player
    -the player firing his weapon for several minutes leaves powder residue covering them from head to toe
    -being caught in an explosion splatters the player with dirt
    -standing next to a comrade to who is killed leaves the covered with blood
    -wading through water causes the player to become absolutely filthy and covered with mud

Bloody_Angle_by_Kunstler.jpg

The availability of clean uniforms also means that units can proper parades and inspections during off hours on drill servers where everyone is expected to be properly dressed.

I guess I'll request this too while I'm at it...

Can we get a version of the 2nd South Carolina frock coats that don't have green splotches all over the cuffs. I understand that they were wearing coats that had been issued the previous year and had been put through all kinds of abuse, but not all uniforms would've been in the same state of decay.
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by Extracrispi View Post
    It goes without saying that war is a messy business. Soldiers, depending on the situation might find themselves marching on dusty roads for hours on end, marching in the rain, wading up to their necks in water, being forced to lie still in the muddy ground, unable to move a muscle, be covered in the brain matter of their fallen comrades, or worst of all, find themselves on KP duty. The Civil War was no exception. In fact, it was probably one of the messiest.

maxresdefault.jpg

My idea is to capture how dirty war can be by having players start with clean uniforms and by the end of the match, be covered in filth, depending on their actions.

-marching down the road leads to minor dirt accumulation on the feet
    -running leads to more dirt accumulation
    -marching through the woods leads to leaves and tree branches being stuck to the player
    -the player firing his weapon for several minutes leaves powder residue covering them from head to toe
    -being caught in an explosion splatters the player with dirt
    -standing next to a comrade to who is killed leaves the covered with blood
    -wading through water causes the player to become absolutely filthy and covered with mud

Bloody_Angle_by_Kunstler.jpg

The availability of clean uniforms also means that units can proper parades and inspections during off hours on drill servers where everyone is expected to be properly dressed.

I guess I'll request this too while I'm at it...

Can we get a version of the 2nd South Carolina frock coats that don't have green splotches all over the cuffs. I understand that they were wearing coats that had been issued the previous year and had been put through all kinds of abuse, but not all uniforms would've been in the same state of decay.

A lot of those just don't seem necessary as I think that just uniforms getting wet from water, some dirt/residue accumulation on the clothes/weapons, and being covered with blood/ a gore system would suffice. The thing that people will actually notice the most is your weapon/arms, so focus on what can be done there.

You have to remember they're not reenactors who just got on the field out of their trucks. The guys have done the majority of their accumulating filth on the campaign prior to arriving on where you, the player, starts on the battlefield. What difference is 20-45 minutes of player activity going to do?
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    You have to remember they're not reenactors who just got on the field out of their trucks. The guys have done the majority of their accumulating filth on the campaign prior to arriving on where you, the player, starts on the battlefield. What difference is 20-45 minutes of player activity going to do?
    Still get dirt on their uniforms and still get water on them if they go and wade through three feet of water?

Green splotches all over the cuffs?
    Could you show that on a screenshot please, what exactly you mean?

And yes.. the frock coats could need some variations. Its all based on the same texture. I will have a look at it.

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Green splotches all over the cuffs?
    Could you show that on a screenshot please, what exactly you mean?

And yes.. the frock coats could need some variations. Its all based on the same texture. I will have a look at it.
    It's most noticeable in first person view.

kw060QO.jpg

NyLebLI.jpg

T8Q8s5u.jpg
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

It's most noticeable in first person view.

kw060QO.jpg

NyLebLI.jpg

T8Q8s5u.jpg
    Thank you.

Must be a render/texture bug. These green splotches should be just plain, brown dirt. At least its showing in the character editor.
    Will investigate further and change it in the next update

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    You want "filth", then complain when you see it? Now I'm just completely confused.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Still get dirt on their uniforms and still get water on them if they go and wade through three feet of water?
    There are so. many. more. important. things. Than this.

I had to wait a day before responding to this so I didn't get banned...
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    There are so. many. more. important. things. Than this.

I had to wait a day before responding to this so I didn't get banned...
    I didn't say that we should prioritize this before everything else or that this was urgent. No one in this thread did, it is just a suggestion.