Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Confederate Flags

Quote Originally Posted by Rbater View Post
    The Museum is in the Armory. They have had one since 1982. When you enter the main entrance, it was to the left. It's only open if you call ahead because they have 1 tour guide to explain the significance of the big items. I believe they just recently, like within the past 6 or so years, made the exhibits more akin to something you would see at a Smithsonian museum since before they were more like very small exhibits. I went and saw it all because I created the 2019 Maryland Preservation Award video for their work on refurbishing the WWI mural above the main entrance.
    Thanks I've been then a handful of times while in HS JROTC and totally missed the museum. Something I would have iked to peeped out.
    Lewis Winslow - Vol. 1st New Jersey Company A

Quote Originally Posted by RamRod73 View Post
    Thanks I've been then a handful of times while in HS JROTC and totally missed the museum. Something I would have iked to peeped out.
    Next time I go, I'll get better pics of everything and can send them to you. Most of my pics were crap since we had to hurry because we had another interview that day at the Walters Art Museum.

Flag Captured During The Battle Of The Wilderness May 5-7th 1864

13thFlag.jpg

Battle Honors:

Williamsburg
    Seven Pines
    Cold Harbor
    South Mountain
    Sharpsburg
    Fredricksburg
    Chancellorsville
    Gettysburg

Historical Notes:
    The North Carolina 13th Infantry Regiment, formerly the 3rd Volunteers, was organized at Garysburg, North Carolina, in May, 1861, with 1,100 men. Its members were recruited in Caswell, Mecklenburg, Davie, Edgecombe, and Rockingham counties. Ordered to Virginia, the unit wa s assigned to General Colston's, Garland's, Pender's, and Scales' Brigade. It shared in the many campaigns of the Army of Northern Virginia from Williamsburg to Cold Harbor , endured the battles and hardships of the Petersburg trenches south of the James River, and took part in the Appomattox operations. This regi ment totalled 575 effectives in April, 1862, lost 29 killed and 80 wounded during the Seven Days' Battles, and had 41 killed and 149 wounded in the Maryland Campaign. It reported 37 casualties at Fredericksburg and 216 at Chancellorsville . Of the 232 engaged at Gettysburg , more than seventy-five percent were disabled. It surrendered 22 officers and 193 men.

Officers:
    Colonels Joseph H. Hyman, William D. Pender, and Alfred M. Scales; Lieutenant Colonels W.S. Guy, Henry A. Rogers, Thomas Ruffin, Jr., and E. Benton Withers; and Majors John T. Hambrick, D.H. Hamilton, Jr., and T.A. Martin.

Regimental Roster:

http://civilwardata.com/active/hdsqu...l?Muster?123&C

Assignments:

May '61 to Nov '61 Dept of Norfolk
    Nov '61 to Apr '62 Colston's Brigade, Dept of Norfolk
    Apr '62 to Apr '62, Colston's Brigade, Army of Peninsula
    Apr '62 to Jun '62, Colston's Brigade, Longstreet's Division, Army of Northern Virginia
    Jun '62 to Sep '62, Garland's Brigade, D.H. Hill's Division, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    Oct '62 to May '63, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    May '63 to Apr '65, Scales'Brigade, Pender's/Wilcox's Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

Battles:

New Bern (March 14, 1862)
    Seven Days Battles (June 25-July 1, 1862)
    Malvern Cliff (June 30, 1862)
    Malvern Hill (July 1, 1862) South Mountain (September 14, 1862)
    Antietam (September 17, 1862)
    Fredericksburg (December 13, 1862)
    Gum Swamp (May 22, 1863)
    South Anna Bridge (July 4, 1863)
    Bristoe Campaign (October-November 1863)
    Bristoe Station (October 14, 1863)
    Mine Run Campaign (November-December 1863)
    The Wilderness (May 5-6, 1864)
    Spotsylvania Court House (May 8-21, 1864)
    North Anna (May 22-26, 1864)
    Cold Harbor (June 1-3, 1864)
    Petersburg Siege (June 1864-April 1865)
    Globe Tavern (August 18-21, 1864)
    Reams' Station (August 25, 1864)
    Jones' Farm (September 30, 1864)
    Squirrel Level Road (September 30, 1864)
    Harman Road (October 2, 1864)
    Hatcher's Run (February 5-7, 1865)
    Petersburg Final Assualt (April 2, 1865)
    Appomattox Court House (April 9, 1865) [/I][/B]

The Captain of Company I 13th NC; R.S. Williams wrote in the regiments history following the war:

“We moved down on them on the right of the road. Charge after charge was made. We drove the enemy back some two miles. We were kept in until our boys had exhausted their sixty rounds, or some had, and during that time a goodly number of the Thirteenth had gone down to rise no more. That was the first day’s battle with Grant and Lee. The next morning, not long after daylight, supposing Lane’s North Carolina and Thomas’ Georgia brigades were still in our front, we were lying behind some old logs and such we could pick up. General Scales and our Colonel Hyman were standing behind our company talking when one of the sergeants called to me and said : Look In Front ! I looked and the woods were blue with the enemy ! I turned to the Colonel and General Scales to tell them. The enemy were coming closer behind us. I told them to look; we were about surrounded. General Scales waved his sword above his head and called on the men to follow him. He dashed off at right angles and took his brigade out by the right flank. They opened fire on us and a goodly number were wounded.”

It was during this time the regiment’s flag was captured. Private Grief Mason of Davie County, NC and Company F, refused to surrender the flag to Sergeant Steven Rought, Company A, 141st PA. Infantry. Rought crushed Mason’s skull with the butt of his rifle, and took his trophy amid the cheers of his comrades.
    Last edited by Johnny_Reb_1865; 04-08-2019 at 09:36 AM.

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/att...7&d=1554672700

1st Maryland Infantry Regiment's Flag, CSA

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/att...8&d=1554672714

2nd Maryland Infantry Regiment's Flag, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb_1865 View Post
    https://www.warofrightsforum.com/att...7&d=1554672700

1st Maryland Infantry Regiment's Flag, CSA

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/att...8&d=1554672714

2nd Maryland Infantry Regiment's Flag, CSA
    You're welcome for those

Quote Originally Posted by Rbater View Post
    You're welcome for those
    Iol thanks

This thread is great! I found it looking for examples of flags that seem to be spread out around the 'net and its great to see so many in one place! I have flags reproduced if anyone is looking for a particular one.

May I see a few of your flags?

Thomas' Legion
    cherokee-battle-flag.jpg
    Deo Vindice.