Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Confederate Uniforms

CSA Sergeant

That'd make some sense- Daniel W, my ancestor, got some 23 dollars back (on being dismissed by the conscript act due to the fact that he was about 40 years old) for clothing "not drawn." By the amount of money for the clothing, I'm assuming it was a winter-jacket, but it may have been that he was lacking the whole jacket.

CSA Sergeant

Here's the screenshot to prove it- right from his record.389250121a99a0a09e81d84621ad20c6.png

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    NOT ORIGINALS, but very good examples of Louisiana State issued apparel. I really wish we had a tad higher density of these represented in-game, in particular the striped kepis.

Attachment 9561Attachment 9562Attachment 9563Attachment 9564Attachment 9565Attachment 9566Attachment 9567
    Something like that?

It would be a complete new jacket texture, no one using it ingame right now

LA_soldier.jpg

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    $23 seems high for a single commutation but I might be totally mistaken.
    I've been researching this a lot this year and you are not mistaken Brad. In 1862 each soldier was allowed $12 for the year in relation to his jacket. Full allowance was $74.
    Last edited by Sox; 10-22-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I've been researching this a lot this year and you are not mistaken Brad. In 1862 each soldier was allowed $12 for the year in relation to his jacket. Full allowance was $74.
    Interesting! So what do you figure could have added up to that $23? Jacket being $12, that leaves another unaccounted-for $11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Something like that?

The Kepi is kinda off for a Louisiana soldier.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Pootis View Post
    Interesting! So what do you figure could have added up to that $23? Jacket being $12, that leaves another unaccounted-for $11.
    Well he recieved $23 back, which basically means he'd spent that amount of money above the $74 allowed. Which means he was buying his own clothing and not drawing it from the QM.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb_1865 View Post
    The Kepi is kinda off for a Louisiana soldier.
    Well that's not exactly true. The Confederate soldier had four basic means of equiping himself, clothing from home, looted from dead enemy/stolen, issued by the Army or issued by the State. By the time of Antietam, Lee's Army had been in the field for almost four months, and so were looking much the worse for wear. The only known photograph of Lee's men on the march is from that time, barely a kepi in sight. Recent studies of records from the CS quatermasters & suppliers have begun to dispel the myth of the 'ragged Rebel', while Lee's men may well have looked shabby after months in the field, that's not to say they stayed that way. In other words, Louisiana troops could have been wearing state issued caps, ones issued by the Army (which would have been different) wide awakes sent/bought from home, or what they'd taken from dead Union soldiers.

What kind of civilan wear will we see?