Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Civil War : Show your Impressions

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    Great thread, I know its a while away but I'll be at Gettysburg next year for their reenactment. I'm slowly acquiring the gear. I plan on going to numerous reenactments over the next couple years. (Revolutionary War included).

EDIT:

What Instagram filter is that?

Seriously though I didn't realize people went that far for authenticity. Surprised there aren't more tintypes of the battle reenactments themselves. Another thing for my bucket list!
    Authenticity is the way to go! You're only cheating yourself and the public if you go budget line!

USA Private

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler28256 View Post
    Authenticity is the way to go! You're only cheating yourself and the public if you go budget line!
    I've got a budget line Bummer & Kepi that I wear casually & am willing to replace over time. I'm going to end up with a whole collection of hats. I've been thinking of getting my gear from Fall Creek Sutlery, do you have any other suggestions? I want to believe they aren't budget line but I really have no idea.
    Last edited by Abraham; 08-25-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    Sergeant in the 1st Cav.

aka HARRY GODWIN

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    ... do you have any other suggestions? ...

Regimental Quartermaster of Gettysburg, PA

CSA Captain

I've got a budget line Bummer & Kepi that I wear casually & am willing to replace over time. I'm going to end up with a whole collection of hats. I've been thinking of getting my gear from Fall Creek Sutlery, do you have any other suggestions? I want to believe they aren't budget line but I really have no idea.
    My bummer, jacket and trousers were bought from the regimental sutler, everything else I bought from sutlers at re-enactments. My advice would be to try to make it to an event & look around, as there as usually many sutler stores/tents there.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA Major

My buddy Tyler - a 20 year old Marine - came to visit me and stayed with my family over Labor Day weekend. I've been reenacting with him since he was 12 years old and it's so great to be able to connect with him as an adult and still have these great experiences. He's a young guy but the oldest of souls. He's been kitting up and walking battlefields since he was 11. Every school photo year he was wearing some historical clothing and even went to his prom in Union dress blues.

After a day visit to Harpers Ferry, we both kitted up after dinner - myself Union and Tyler Confederate - and just as the sun was going down we walked the fields of Antietam. We must have campaigned 5-6 miles that night following Hookers push through toward Dunker Church. Then we lit a candle and walked through the West Woods and read some soldier passages in honor of the men who fought there.

Next we traversed the field to Bloody Lane where we did the same and we laid down our gum blankets there and chilled for maybe 45 minutes just taking it all in. Next we followed Roullette Farm Lane up to Mumma Farm then made our way back through thick brush and bean fields up to our waists, our legs burning and just covered with sweat and back to my Jeep at the J. Poffenberger Farm at midnight. We did the entire march without flashlights and only used candles when reading passages.

As if that wasn't enough we were back there at 9 the next morning where we hiked the trails around Burnside Bridge, and the Otto and Sherrick Farms. We forded creeks, dunked our heads in when it was so hot we felt like we might pass out (90 deg. with 92% humidity). We walked the East Woods, the Poffenberger Farm, the Miller Farm then ended our trek with a final walk through Bloody Lane with some final sentiments of respect spoken to the men who fought there.

People took photos with us, we educated people along the way, made some college students turn down a radio they were blasting while tubing under Burnside Bridge and told them to "have some respect" and must have traversed 10-12 miles of rough terrain over 2 days. Let me just say this - and I've been a reeanactor for 10 years - few things if any beat this experience and if any of you are ever in this area and want to kit up and walk the fields with me... just let me know I'm just 10 minutes away.

Anyhow to get back on topic this thread is about impressions so here are a few pics of our journey. I'm the 'old' guy with the beard and my impression is pretty boiler-plate but Tyler's is top notch. He even walked barefoot much of the time.

Burnside Bridge

Bloody Lane

Tyler fording one of many creeks
    Last edited by Shiloh; 09-05-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Hello friends, my apologies to hijack this thread. I’m planning to start my Civil War impression these days, and plan to buy my first black powder rifle musket. Can anyone tell me if the Pedersoli Springfield 1861 feels and handles like the authentic ones?

This is my first post by the way, how are you guys and glad to be here! Will be pledging in a few days, see you guys on the field this weekend! Oh and I’m going to be for the South if you’re wondering. Cheers!

USA Captain

Grants cottage rest.jpgGrants cottage battle1.jpgIMG_3797.jpgNorlands tintype.jpgShelburne pickets surrounded by cavalry.jpg
    Some of mine.

And I agree with one of the earlier posts. don't go with the discount stuff. You can get better items that will last you much longer and are more authentic at a number of places. PM if you would like to hear more.
    Last edited by Cairnsy44; 10-11-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA