Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Regiment Suggestions and Bugs

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Pelham's Battery is erroneously named Breathed's Battery in the Company Tool and presumably in the upcoming Artillery update, as well.

Jim Breathed was a Lieutenant at the Battle of Sharpsburg in charge of a single section, and became Captain of Pelham's Battery only after John Pelham's promotion to Major on September 22, following the Battle of Sharpsburg but preceding the Battle of Fredericksburg. I have found no reference to "Breathed's Battery" contemporary to the Maryland Campaign and even after "Gallant" John Pelham's tragic death in 1863, the battery was typically referred to as "Pelham's Battery" or "Stuart's Horse Artillery" or some combination thereof.

PRIMARY SOURCES

The O.R. consistently refers to the battery as Pelham's during this period: O. R. Ser. 1, Vol. 19, Pt. 1, pg. 810, pg. 835, pg. 836

According to Memoirs of the Stuart Horse Artillery Battalion, edited by Robert J. Trout, contemporaries consistently referred to this battery throughout the war, even after Pelham's death, as Pelham's: pg. 20, 151, 167, 170, 172, 176, 192, 293.

SECONDARY SOURCES

The Perfect Lion: The Life and Death of Confederate Artillerist John Pelham only refers to the battery as Breathed's twice, in 1863.
    Artillery Hell: The Employment of Artillery at Antietam does not refer to James Breathed at all, the battery is referred to as Pelham's: pg. 13, 48-50, 54-55, 58, 100-101.
    To Antietam Creek: The Maryland Campaign of September 1862 does not refer to Breathed at all, the battery is referred to as Pelham's: pg. 312, 360, 488, 500, 724
    Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam does not refer to Breathed, the battery is Pelham's: pg. 223.
    Fighting with Jeb Stuart: Major James Breathed and the Confederate Horse Artillery refers to the battery as Pelham's during this period: 70-72, 90.

Maps from CivilWarTrust, Carman, Harsh, etc. consistently label the battery as Pelham. I have found zero maps with Breathed labeled.

Antietam On The Web erroneously refers to Pelham as Major and Breathed as Captain (actually a common mistake in several histories, reflecting their promotions following the Battle of Sharpsburg), however the battery is properly labeled as Pelham's
    Indeed an error I hope they fix that soon in the company tool for you. Also awaiting some name changes because after update placed in the artillery section for the company tool, some where changed incorrectly.

Like the Richmond Howitzers, 1st Company who are named as Richmond Howitzers Company 1. small error but yeah still not correct.
    Companies 2 and 3 are named after the senior officer which in most situations is correct but not in the instance of the Richmond Howitzers. There are more names not correct for the artillery but people owning a battery should research and check that for themselves.

So its a hard no on the idea to add 6th NC?

They mentioned several months ago that they were not adding new units for now as they are concentrating dev assets on content, performance, and user interface...

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drax View Post
    They mentioned several months ago that they were not adding new units for now as they are concentrating dev assets on content, performance, and user interface...
    Which seems like a sensible decision to me.

Best,
    Dman979

"For now"

Don't do this. Don't give me hope

USA Captain

Union Unit Changes - There are two maps that come to mind.

1) Burnside's Bridge - This might seem minor but I believe its a gross injustice to the 51st PA who really helped carry the bridge and are at the forefront of famous painting of the final push across the bridge. My suggestion is replacing either the 51st NY or 2nd Maryland with the 51st PA who truly deserve to be featured on that map.

2) Sherrick and otto farm - Currently on this map there are two units for the Union who never fought there. The 9th NY who is properly featured on Hill's Counter attack were not fighting near the otto farm. The 52nd NY are also on the map, and they were not even in the IX Corps nor on that side of the field to begin with. My suggestion would be to replace both units with two units currently in game that were at the Sherrick and Otto farms. The 36th Ohio Infantry who were stationed there during the battle, and 12th/23rd/30th ohio who were also stationed in close proximity to the farms. As shown through the book "the Maps of Antietam" by Bradley Gottfried. It's a terrible injustice that these units currently in game who were on that map are currently not featured there.

I hope CG will consider these changes to help make skirmish mode better.

From my recent research on the New York State archives I found that the 39th New York was equipped with "Harper's Ferry rifles". As we can see it is not about Springfield 1842 or other models, because otherwise it would have been marked, as you can see in the other regiments.

Doing a quick search at Harpers Ferry was the federal armory which produced various types of rifles. If we search for the "Harpers Ferry" rifle, a flintlock musket will come out and it seems strange to me that Union regiments were equipped with such rifles.

By doing a thorough research I found that in 1855 Harper's Ferry began producing its own Springfield 1855, shorter and similar to the Mississippi: the Harpers Ferry Rifle model 1855. This could explain the sabre-bayonet we could see in photos and paints of this period portraing the "Garibaldi Guard".

Dear developers, can you in the next update add this rifle to the 39th NY? Thanks for your attention

The extract from the New York State Archives who shows the rifle equipment of the New York Regiments, the 39th NY is marked in yellow.

92521969_2616267928602462_8012373748248215552_o.jpg

The Harper's Ferry Musket model 1855:

92055243_2616273018601953_5289820638175821824_n.jpg
    Captain Davide Campi, 39th NY "Garibaldi Guard" Co. A

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFields View Post
    From my recent research on the New York State archives I found that the 39th New York was equipped with "Harper's Ferry rifles". As we can see it is not about Springfield 1842 or other models, because otherwise it would have been marked, as you can see in the other regiments.

Doing a quick search at Harpers Ferry was the federal armory which produced various types of rifles. If we search for the "Harpers Ferry" rifle, a flintlock musket will come out and it seems strange to me that Union regiments were equipped with such rifles.

By doing a thorough research I found that in 1855 Harper's Ferry began producing its own Springfield 1855, shorter and similar to the Mississippi: the Harpers Ferry Rifle model 1855. This could explain the sabre-bayonet we could see in photos and paints of this period portraing the "Garibaldi Guard".

Dear developers, can you in the next update add this rifle to the 39th NY? Thanks for your attention

The extract from the New York State Archives who shows the rifle equipment of the New York Regiments, the 39th NY is marked in yellow.

92521969_2616267928602462_8012373748248215552_o.jpg

The Harper's Ferry Musket model 1855:

92055243_2616273018601953_5289820638175821824_n.jpg
    Hello David,

The armory at Harpers Ferry produced a wide range of rifles, especially M1841's, M1842's and also M1855's. It also produced 7,317 of the two bander M1855 model you've shown above, with 3,545 being brass mounted and the rest iron mounted (those numbers are very small considering how many arms of the normal 55's, 42's and 41's they produced).

The record you've shown an image of simply says Harpers Ferry rifles. This could just as well mean (chance wise it is vastly more likely to be) standard 41's or standard 55's (I suspect standard 41's as you say there are images of the 39th with short rifles with sabre bayonets). By comparrison to the rare two bander harpers ferry M1855 you've shown, the standard M1841 harpers ferry was produced in numbers no less than 70.000.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello David,

The armory at Harpers Ferry produced a wide range of rifles, especially M1841's, M1842's and also M1855's. It also produced 7,317 of the two bander M1855 model you've shown above, with 3,545 being brass mounted and the rest iron mounted (those numbers are very small considering how many arms of the normal 55's, 42's and 41's they produced).

The record you've shown an image of simply says Harpers Ferry rifles. This could just as well mean (chance wise it is vastly more likely to be) standard 41's or standard 55's (I suspect standard 41's as you say there are images of the 39th with short rifles with sabre bayonets). By comparrison to the rare two bander harpers ferry M1855 you've shown, the standard M1841 harpers ferry was produced in numbers no less than 70.000.

- Trusty
    Thanks for the explanation!
    Captain Davide Campi, 39th NY "Garibaldi Guard" Co. A