Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Regiment Suggestions and Bugs

USA Captain

I'd love to see the Delaware flag in game, if at all possible.

Delaware was the only slave state (~2,000 in bondage, mostly in Sussex county, the southern most part of the state) to not send a single regiment to the CSA. Out of a population of 112,000, we fielded ~12,000 union troops, 4 Delaware volunteer infantry regiments saw active combat. The estimates for Delaware volunteers to the south are about 200-300, just a company or two in a MD CSA regiment.

Here are some reference photos for the flag of the 1st Delaware. It’s a modified version of the state seal in a cloud rather than a diamond. The farmer and militiaman are also different, with the farmer supporting the ship and the militia man standing more aggressively. The regiment was shot up pretty bad, and there was a brutal fight and a medal of honor to recover them, so torn flags would be cool, but your call.

635586345566262903-1stDERegimentalFlag-DHS.jpg
    450_141111a_lg.jpg

493px-Delaware_state_coat_of_arms_(illustrated,_1876).jpg
    this is the post war coat of arms, when they go back to being chill.

Here is the Color guard of the 1st Delaware, with both national and state flag. Notice the private purchase frock coats on both flag bearers. There are a number of documented non-issue frocks with the Delawares. I've included a picture of one example documented to the 1st.

civilwar11.jpg
    1adc8503a4635dc39916b1062bff4521.jpg
    Capture.JPG

The Medal of honor was won at Antietam by Charles R Tanner, who retrieved it from right infront of the bloody lane.

https://ironbrigader.com/2014/07/25/...flag-antietam/

The cornfield, where we had taken up our position terminated about 100 yards distant from the sunken road, leaving nothing but short grass pastureland between us.

On coming out of the corn, we were unexpectedly confronted by heavy masses of Confederate infantry, with their muskets resting on the temporary breastwork. We all realized that the slaughter would be great, but not a man flinched, and cheerfully we went to our baptism of fire.

Our colonel dashed in front with the ringing order: ‘Charge!’ and charge we did into that leaden hail. Within less than five minutes 286 men out of 635, and eight company commanders, lay wounded or dead on that bloody slope. The colonel’s horse had been struck by four bullets; the lieutenant colonel was wounded and his horse killed, and our dearly loved colors were lying within twenty yards of the frowning lines of muskets, surrounded by the lifeless bodies of nine heroes, who died while trying to plant them in that road of death.

Those of us who were yet living got back to the edge of the cornfield, and opened such a fire that, though the enemy charged five times to gain possession of the flag, they were driven back each time with terrible slaughter.

We had become desperately enraged, thinking, not of life, but how to regain the broad strips of bunting under which we had marched, bivouacked, suffered, and seen our comrades killed. To lose what we had sworn to defend with our blood would have been, in our minds, a disgrace, and every man of the First Delaware was ready to perish, rather than allow the colors to fall into the hands of the enemy. Two hundred rifles guarded the Stars and Stripes, and if they were not to be recovered by us, the foe should not have them while a single member of the regiment remained alive.

Charge after charge was made, and the gallant Fifth Maryland, forming on our left, aided in the defense. The fire from our lines directed to the center of that dense mass of Confederates, was appalling. Over thirteen hundred noble dead were covered with earth in that sunken road by the burying part on the following day.

When the Maryland boys joined us, Captain Rickets of Company C, our regiment, called for volunteers to save the colors, and more than thirty brave fellows responded. It seemed as if they had but just started, when at least twenty, including the gallant leader, were killed and those who would have rushed forward, were forced back by withering fire.

Maddened, and more desperate than ever, I called for the men to make another effort, and before we marched fifty yards only a scattering few remained able to get back to the friendly corn, in which we sought refuge from the tempest of death.

Then Major Thomas A. Smyth (afterward Major General, and killed on the day General Lee surrendered) said he would concentrate twenty-five picked men, whose fire should be directed over the colors.

‘Do it’, I cried, ‘and I will get there!’

There were hundreds of brave men yet alive on that awful field, and at my call for assistance, twenty sprang toward me.

While covering that short distance, it seemed as if a million bees were singing in the air. The shouts and yells from either side sounded like menaces and threats. But I had reached the goal, had caught up the staff which was already splintered by shot, and the colors pierced with many a hole and stained here and there with the lifeblood of our comrades, when a bullet shattered my arm. Luckily my legs were still serviceable, and, seizing the precious bunting with my left hand, I made the best eighty yard time on record, receiving two more wounds.

The colors were landed safely among the men of our regiment just as a large body of Confederate infantry poured in on our flank, compelling us to face in a different direction. We had the flags, however, and the remainder of the First Delaware held them against all comers.
    Lt-Charles-Tanner-Saves-the-Flag.jpg
    Last edited by Axon; 08-14-2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Company B, 9th New York Volunteer Infantry

USA 1st Lieutenant

Hi CFG,

I noticed that the model for the 42nd Pennsylvania's Colonel is wrong.

Here's what it looks like in-game:

This doesn't look like Col. Hugh McNeil, who was killed in the skirmishes on September 16th.

This last one is also Col. McNeil, but he presumably removed the bucktail for a formal photo.

The specific differences that I see are: the collar is closed, the white shirt doesn't appear above the collar, and the iconic beard is missing. Evidently, Col. McNeil took pride in his beard, and kept it neat.

I hope that you'll consider changing the model, in honor of Col. McNeil.

Best,
    Dman979

USA Captain

I agree too!
    G'day Mate, I am a Confederate wife widowmaker!

USA General of the Army

I would love this as a detail to be added later.

Thank you all.

I've noted it and sent your suggestions onwards to Hinkel, our main soldier creator.

- Trusty

Thank you for the suggestion.

I just wanted to add, that no officer looks like the real person ingame (there might be some similarities in some cases)

As you also noticed, some regiments were lead by a captain or major during Antietam. We still have the other ranks available for them ingame, so it would be hard to portray every officer ingame. If I would model the colonel like the real person, I am sure other suggestions would follow for every single officer rank for various regiments
    Last edited by Hinkel; 08-25-2019 at 06:24 PM.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion.

I just wanted to add, that no officer looks like the real person ingame (there might be some similarities in some cases)

As you also noticed, some regiments were lead by a captain or major during Antietam. We still have the other ranks available for them ingame, so it would be hard to portray every officer ingame. If I would model the colonel like the real person, I am sure other suggestions would follow for every single officer rank for various regiments
    Oh Hinkel you already know I sent you my suggestions hahahahaha.

CSA Major

Just a quick question, on the South Mountain map Cox, is there a way to up the timer on last stand. On the CSA side if we go into last stand and are at main spawn it only gives you 20 seconds and we never make it to point, I dont know if this has been brought up before. But it would be hella cool if fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
    Just a quick question, on the South Mountain map Cox, is there a way to up the timer on last stand. On the CSA side if we go into last stand and are at main spawn it only gives you 20 seconds and we never make it to point, I dont know if this has been brought up before. But it would be hella cool if fixed.
    Hi there!

Thanks for the report.

We're aware of the issue and are currently looking into updating several systems tied to the end game event mechanics.

- Trusty