Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Regiment Suggestions and Bugs

USA Lieutenant General

Dear Devs. I am not sure who you have making the units but the 5th new york is in DIRE need of being added correctly!!! Their flag is not only wrong its missing one of the more important details to it. . Also some of the NCO jackets should have GOLD trim around the red trim the WHOLE way around the jackets. This started in 1862. Here are pictures of original jackets. Its just sad to see little research done when units are added.

Here is a painting of the 5th New York at gains mill with the correct NCO and flag that should be in game

Also here are the best pictures I could find of the flag New york isnt good at documenting their flags.

Last edited by Kyle422; 12-06-2020 at 06:42 PM.

USA Lieutenant General

Post has been updated with more correct information

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve linked it to our researchers to verify or disprove. I would appreciate if you don’t slam us for not trying - we really do and it makes listening to your feedback ever harder.

- Trusty

5th NY.jpg

The flags the 5th New York are carrying in-game are essentially exact copies of the two 5th New York flags in the Civil War flags collection with the New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. Do you have any sources that they carried something different during the Maryland Campaign?

Any mistakes with the flags are entirely my responsibility, someone else will have to address the uniforms/NCO ranks.
    Last edited by Bradley; 12-06-2020 at 11:16 PM.

Hey there Kyle,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Yes, you are very right regarding how some of the 5th NCOs would have the gold braid on their jackets, so when our character artist is next able, they will be sure to add this as well for both historicity and variety-sake. However, we will be measured in how many would have it due to two different factors.
    First, we should consider that with these uniforms needing to be privately purchased, a jacket of this sort could easily cost almost $50 to have made for them,* which was several months' worth of pay to pitch for but one jacket. That being said, uniformity and pride in one's unit would also be a factor in the decision to save and buy one. Secondly, we should also consider the timeframe. After severe losses at both Gaines' Mill and 2nd Bull Run, we would be speaking of many battlefield promotions less than a month prior, and a total strength of 208 at Antietam.** As such, few of the new NCO's would have had the time to get new jackets or have their jackets redone, and as such would probably have done little more than this Corporal was able to do for his jacket:

201402A36_uniform-thumbnail-1200x1200.jpg

As said, when able, we will be happy to include this added bit of variety for some NCO spawns, but I am happy to report that the uniforms already in-game are not as lacking in their historical basis as would otherwise be claimed. As always, however, please don't stop bringing up one's possible concerns, as we are happy to look into them and see what can be done!

* Price estimated off of prices tabulated in Life in Civil War America. Pg. 153.
    **Carmen, Ezra. The Antietam Manuscript of Ezra Ayres Carmen. Pg 59. http://www.8cv.org/carman/EzraCarman.pdf

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    5th NY.jpg

The flags the 5th New York are carrying in-game are essentially exact copies of the two 5th New York flags in the Civil War flags collection with the New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. Do you have any sources that they carried something different during the Maryland Campaign?

Any mistakes with the flags are entirely my responsibility, someone else will have to address the uniforms/NCO ranks.
    Yes I have a whole lot of information and unpublished pictures of 5th New York members. Actually before Antietam. I will see about getting that information to you. I am in the process of digitalizing most of such. Also have pictures of pretty much every 5th NY uniform in existence.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Hey there Kyle,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Yes, you are very right regarding how some of the 5th NCOs would have the gold braid on their jackets, so when our character artist is next able, they will be sure to add this as well for both historicity and variety-sake. However, we will be measured in how many would have it due to two different factors.
    First, we should consider that with these uniforms needing to be privately purchased, a jacket of this sort could easily cost almost $50 to have made for them,* which was several months' worth of pay to pitch for but one jacket. That being said, uniformity and pride in one's unit would also be a factor in the decision to save and buy one. Secondly, we should also consider the timeframe. After severe losses at both Gaines' Mill and 2nd Bull Run, we would be speaking of many battlefield promotions less than a month prior, and a total strength of 208 at Antietam.** As such, few of the new NCO's would have had the time to get new jackets or have their jackets redone, and as such would probably have done little more than this Corporal was able to do for his jacket:

201402A36_uniform-thumbnail-1200x1200.jpg

As said, when able, we will be happy to include this added bit of variety for some NCO spawns, but I am happy to report that the uniforms already in-game are not as lacking in their historical basis as would otherwise be claimed. As always, however, please don't stop bringing up one's possible concerns, as we are happy to look into them and see what can be done!

* Price estimated off of prices tabulated in Life in Civil War America. Pg. 153.
    **Carmen, Ezra. The Antietam Manuscript of Ezra Ayres Carmen. Pg 59. http://www.8cv.org/carman/EzraCarman.pdf
    As far as privately purchased the answer to that is yes and no there was a whole company in the 5th New York that had gold trim around there jackets. The captain who’s name escapes me at the moment mandated that all his men were to have gold trim. I have a picture on my phone of this officer that made his men wear this uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    Sadly they've stated several times they weren't going to be adding new batteries to existing maps.

<3 Whiting's Battery
    Where did they say this?
    The rightful ruler of the HRE, Holy Sloth.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Every battery that was with both armies is listed in the Company Tool. While some may disagree on naming convention, they are there.

(If they were actually there, some batteries, on both sides, we're ordered to not participate, based on their current working capacity. Shortages of men, horses, even guns were causes of being ordered to stand down. Several Confederate batteries, were ordered to stay at Leesburg due to depleted conditions, where they were then ordered to Winchester to be recruited and refit. Other batteries were ordered to remain at Harpers Ferry, for the same reasons.
    Several Federal batteries were ordered to D.C., after Second Manassas for the same reasons, including, loss of guns in that battle.)

As for which battery that gets used in the current skirmish areas most are local to the area they're on, per the Battlefield Preservation Maps, others not currently showing in game will, or would require new skirmish maps.

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Every battery that was with both armies is listed in the Company Tool. While some may disagree on naming convention, they are there.

(If they were actually there, some batteries, on both sides, we're ordered to not participate, based on their current working capacity. Shortages of men, horses, even guns were causes of being ordered to stand down. Several Confederate batteries, were ordered to stay at Leesburg due to depleted conditions, where they were then ordered to Winchester to be recruited and refit. Other batteries were ordered to remain at Harpers Ferry, for the same reasons.
    Several Federal batteries were ordered to D.C., after Second Manassas for the same reasons, including, loss of guns in that battle.)

As for which battery that gets used in the current skirmish areas most are local to the area they're on, per the Battlefield Preservation Maps, others not currently showing in game will, or would require new skirmish maps.
    I just want Petit's Battery (1stNY Light Artillery Battery B) to be added which according to J. Woody from the Community Discord, were deployed near East Woods and the Cornfield at their corresponding times. PetitLocation.jpg
    The rightful ruler of the HRE, Holy Sloth.