Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Regiment Suggestions and Bugs

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    @Hinkel since you said you're working on the units for South Mountain

One unit I would like to see when South Mountain is released, especially crampon's gap is the 16th New York Infantry. ]
    While its a very cool unit, Crampon's Gap is way outside of the map and won't be featured sadly.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    While its a very cool unit, Crampon's Gap is way outside of the map and won't be featured sadly.
    I find it strange y’all are not doing every part of South Mountain but y’all implement ahistorical skirmishes that never existed. Plus adding units like the 20th Maine that never participated but stood on the side lines watching.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    I find it strange y’all are not doing every part of South Mountain but y’all implement ahistorical skirmishes that never existed
    The map size is limited. Crampon's Gap would require a totally new level, seperated on a different server to play on. So there is no way to add that part onto the current map

Perhaps still add the units that took part in Crampton's Gap to the Drill Camp so we aren't totally left out of the game.

The map size is limited. Crampon's Gap would require a totally new level, seperated on a different server to play on. So there is no way to add that part onto the current map
    Does that mean we may see it included in a new level?

The war consisted tons of engagements of different sizes at locations just as numerous. Most probably aren't thought of or well known, even by historians. I personally think there is plenty of room for less documented or historically-based fictional engagements. I'd also wager that they're probably easier to build. I'm open to any new map or mode content that the dev team can provide. Not that I'm complaining. I really enjoy WoR.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by [17thMI] J.Connelly View Post
    The war consisted tons of engagements of different sizes at locations just as numerous. Most probably aren't thought of or well known, even by historians. I personally think there is plenty of room for less documented or historically-based fictional engagements. I'd also wager that they're probably easier to build. I'm open to any new map or mode content that the dev team can provide. Not that I'm complaining. I really enjoy WoR.
    I agree there should be more than just historical battlegrounds but they should first implement the historical parts then go for the ahistorical second. I did not like that they focused on the ahistorical parts of Harpers Ferry first then implemented the maps that were fought over in history. They do claim in their description of their game they want to be historically authentic, so maybe start with that then go for the more fictional fights.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Major

It’s fairly evident now that most of the regiments won’t be represented in-game, whether that be in a historical or ahistorical context - look to the response I received from Hinkel and Trusty on the previous page.

This seems like a moot thread now and beyond the original point of purpose.
    Last edited by Leifr; 05-15-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    It’s fairly evident now that most of the regiments won’t be represented in-game, whether that be in a historical or ahistorical context - look to the response I received from Hinkel and Trusty on the previous page.

This seems like a moot thread now and beyond the original point of purpose.
    As far as I know, we talked about skirmish scenarios and the regiments on these skirmish maps.
    For the full battlefield and associated game modes, we still want to include as many regiments as possible.
    This would include regiments like the suggested 16th New York etc. of course.

For example, I could add the 16th New York earlier and make it available in the Picket Patrol game mode, same for other regiments.
    Last edited by Hinkel; 05-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.

A Case for the 17th Michigan and the Afternoon Fight at Daniel Wise's Farm

Hi everyone,

I made a post in another thread the other day while South Mountain was being discussed, but I would like to bring the 17th Michigan up again and in more detail because this thread is more appropriate. The 17th Michigan community is a bit bummed out that the morning fight at Wise's Farm in Fox's Gap (Garland's Stand) seems like it will be added instead of the afternoon fight, when the 17th was involved. We've been doing a lot of research ourselves, so I'd like to present that here in the hopes that it will help the developers if they decide to add an "Afternoon Wise Farm" scenario.

The 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry

The 17th Michigan Infantry was organized in August, 1862 in Detroit. One of its most distinguishing features was its E company, or "Normal Company," which was composed largely of young student-teachers from the Michigan State Normal School (now Eastern Michigan University) In Ypsilanti. Equipped with their Lorenz rifles, they left Michigan before the end of the month, and saw their first action at South Mountain only a couple weeks later. Marching into battle with their pristine dress uniforms, the 17th Michigan earned the nickname "Stonewall Regiment" for their routing of the 50/51st Georgia from their position behind a stone wall after a flanking maneuver.

The Uniform of the 17th at Wise's Farm

The Afternoon Fight at Wise's Farm

Based on several articles from "Bloody Prelude: the Battle of South Mountain" Does not show the position of every union regiment, especially Cox's division and some of Welch's and Christ's brigades that were not at the front.

The afternoon fight for Wise's Farm began around 4:00 in the afternoon. The Confederates had retaken Fox's Gap during the lull following the morning's battle. Drayton's brigade, on the Confederate left, was made aware of the Ohioans of Cox's division still beyond the South field. Drayton ordered the 15th SC, 3rd SC battalion, and Phillip's Legion to advance into the field, with the 50th and 51st Georgia replacing them in the Sharpsburg road, ready to support the initial attack. As they advanced into the field, Welsh's brigade of Wilcox's division emerged from the forest on the East side of the field, drawing the attention of Phillip's Legion. The 17th Michigan, having just silenced a Confederate battery, divides itself. The right, including the Normal Company, is sent across the Sharpsburg road and behind the Georgians. It is here that Drayton's attack falls apart, as the Confederate units in the South field struggle to cover each others retreat back towards the Wise cabin as the 17th forces the rout of the Georgians who are supposed to be supporting them. The South Carolinians are soon all that remains, with the 15th in Wise's rose garden, and the 3rd Battalion between 2 stone walls in front of the house. Lt. Col. George James of the 3rd Battalion refuses to retreat, and the fighting finally ceases after two and a half more hours.

A photograph of the Wise Cabin showing the South field, and the final position of the 3rd South Carolina Battalion

A panoramic drawing of the Wise fields, showing the Sharpsburg road running left to right, and the direction towards which the 17th attacked.
    Last edited by BenjaGuy; 05-17-2019 at 01:04 PM.