Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Large Scale Community Event

USA Captain

Them and us, a devided Alpha community .... Thats hardly what the Alpha testing need's. I fully agreee with Trusty on that one.
    And some Companies need to stop being "Posh" about letting other people playing along them ... Embrace new players and share the knowledege about the game ...

USA General of the Army

Whilst I have remained in the camp of keep the servers open for a while, I must say that when something as important as this trailer comes up and 1/2 the commanders can't get on due to randoms then it becomes a struggle. I have said that private server are the only ones that should be locked, but on an occasion like this a locked server for about an hour would be all that was needed.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    Them and us, a devided Alpha community .... Thats hardly what the Alpha testing need's. I fully agreee with Trusty on that one.
    And some Companies need to stop being "Posh" about letting other people playing along them ... Embrace new players and share the knowledege about the game ...

@TheRegulator
    : during drill and event, members of regiments were scattered in the lines and being led by an officer&NCO different of their usual command, new players/not enlisted filled up the ranks nicely and worked to make this event a succes -> lots of things to be proud and positive about (if you compare this to a few months ago and the animo between certain regiments)
    @TheRegulator : Can you enlighten what you mean by a divided Alpha community ?
    Last edited by Redleader; 03-25-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

USA General of the Army

That is very true.

The whole community should be proud of the drill. I am unending greatful for everyone who listened to me and took heed. You were all willing to be placed where you where needed and thought at first it seemed like chaos as we were at the colours the second we rounded to the field the effort you all made to cooperate with myself and Lt. Col. Mulcahy payed off ten fold as we formed in six independent companies of men from across different units and public players.

The area of difficulty was the Skirmish server and getting the needed players into place. We lost a lot of people due to inability to join due to space along with a few other issues. The Skirmish section is where the lock would have been much needed to get the key players and units in before filling the last slots with pubs.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Re: TheRegulator

I prefer a more optimistic view of yesterday’s event and the community at large.

Company F on the Federal side, which I think was mostly the Germans of the 51st, couldn’t hear half of the commands in-game and had to translate the half they did hear, and yet here they are saying they had fun. On the Confederate side, we had six or seven independent companies deferrring to battalion command without incident or complaint, and several new players learning as they went. Out of seventy something people, we had one boy colonel of a paper company attempting to recruit in-formation and falling out to take screenshots for his company thread (amusingly, in order to suggest greater involvement in the community), and one pub refusing to remove his NCO but otherwise staying out of our way. That’s about it. Not too bad for standing around bored for two hours, much of that preceded by server rotations and crashes to desktop.
    I think you mean the Germans of the 52nd NY and 20th NY

of course we had a lot of fun but as Jagdmann stated out it was pretty hard at the end iof the line but the feeling was great. Thanks to the Sgt. Maj. who assisted me because often I couldnt hear the orders to repeat them. I am sorry but I don't know your name.

As "Saurons mouth" for Hinkel at the event who was speaking with him, his own company, the leaders in discord and ingame to the troops, I can say it was a very hard but lovely job. We had some communication problems and server/map problems but it run better than I expected.

During the recording Hinkel changed the Script a bit and had to record some scenes two times which caused some trouble but i think we managed it good and it was needed to react at the actual situation.

It was a great feeling to see how the community worked together to create a nice trailer for the game who we all love.

As a sort of coordinator or something like that I have some suggestions for the next time. Most of them are from Saturday from other commanders but some are mines.

1. Communication: next time the US and CS commander should be in discord because sometimes communication was hard
    2. A separated server for the recording:
    2.1 with the wished map fixed so no map cycle. Yes it was great to run faster as Usian Bolt but for the most it was annoying to switch around 7 maps and "randoms" who defended the cap point. which leads me to my next point.
    2.2 first of all I understand why we dont have locked servers but let me bring some points and "stories" to understand my point of view:

- One thing which I experienced personally was the blaming and and sometimes hateful speech in chat from guys who didnt or didnt want to understand whats going on and its very frustrating to explain a thousand times whats going on, why we stay at spawn while the enemy is capping, get called a bastard, tell guys we try to record a trailer, get called a bastard, try to tell them that we have to change the map, get called a bastard and they wasted their money....

I think no more words are needed.

- My second point was brought by my company members to me. I wasn't in their TS channel since I had to talk with Hinkel and other commanders in discord so my 1st LT lead the in TS. I talked to them after the event and they told me it was a great thing and they loved it but they also told me that hey shamed during the whole thing in the drill camp. To understand why: We were company F which was the closest one to the spawn point at the end of the battalion so everyone filled up into our ranks. My Sergeants and corporals tried to organise a good formation with 2 ranks but often they got ignored, got called to shut up or other bad things. Also it ruined the experience of my members since it looked like we are to bad to perform a solid fire by company. Some guys didnt listen for my commands and listen to company E, some others just stood afk in our ranks. Some of my members were pretty sad about this because I drill them hard and they are proud about what they can perform and wanted to show this to me and the rest of the community. Also it's the 2nd time that something like this happen. Well in the end we had fun and maybe we just have bad luck (or we are to sexy so every newbie get attracted to us )

to come on a point: For recordings like this: we need a locked server where only introduced companies are allowed to join. Of course everybody is introduced since we are ONE community but they should join the meetings beforehand get told what is to do, who is in command etc.

I allow me say that the community is willing to do more events like this and record more trailers and scenes because it's SOOOOOO much fun and such a great feeling but a controlled environment for recording purposes in this scale are needed. We discussed it after the recoding in discord shortly. We understand all why CG dont want closed servers but for something like this we need them. Like I said: if you CG can provide it, I think the community would be ready to recreate Gods and Generals and Gettysburg scene by scene for you because then it's easier and it's such a great atmosphere.

I am sorry for my english I hope everybody can understand what I am trying to say.

At the end I want to thank the whole community and everyone who attended for such a productive and great atmosphere. I would say one of my best moments in WoR.
    A big thank you to CS troops for just killing the 10 privates in front of me and not me. It was scary to see those 10 falling to ground directly in front of my and my only thought was: "Fuck, i am next" while I looked through this huge gap in our line to the CS formation behind the fence which started reloading to send the next minie volley into our ranks.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

@ Captain Paul Frank

A+ comment

CSA Major

The drill was excellent, and all involved must be commended for their patience and dedication.
    I think it is most positive that there has been such a large drill, held by many notable luminaries in the community, attended by many fine Gentlemen from both sides of the same coin, largely without hitch. It would be excellent to do something of this nature once a month perhaps in the interests of hospitality and friendly cooperation between units that may not otherwise mix.

As for the communication issue; being in Company 'E' at the time, I will happily attest to the difficulty in hearing and understanding orders so far down the line. Company 'F' must certainly have had a harder time of it, translating to German and inviting the additional trouble of public interlopers who latch on to the first group they see. I am still advocating the implementation of an icon when voice chat is active, it is sorely needed.

USA Brigadier General

Well, translation was not needed since we drill in english. I just talked German to my NCO's because we needed to coordinate us to coordinate the stream of non company members which filled our ranks.

"Hear nothing" was not that a problem. Yes it was hard but it was realistic and cool to hear the commands rolling down the whole formation. I was sometimes speechless because it was so fantastic. Again a big thank you to the unknown Sgt. Maj. who heard a bit more than me.

Now I can understand much more than before why there was drum and bugle commands and I wished me more than 1 time to have musicians now in game

But thanks for your nice words.

Also a thank you for Major Stone for his great leadership of the pack...... I mean battalion.
    Last edited by Maximus Decimus Meridius; 03-26-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    I am still advocating the implementation of an icon when voice chat is active, it is sorely needed.
    Ditto, needed should already be implemented

- Kyle

USA General of the Army

The trailer just dropped, with 0 credits being given to anyone...