Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What are you reading? (Civil War related)

regulations for the army if the confederate states 1863, one of the most daring of men ,(the life of confederate general william tatum wofford by gerald j. smith ) one of cleburne's command the civil war reminiscences and diary of catp. samuel t foster Granbury's texas brigade partisan life with col.john s. mosby & major john scott biographical sketche's of gen. pat cleburne and gen t.c. hindman first in last out the capitol guards arkansas brigade in the civil war from blue to gray life of CSA gen. camdmus m. wilcox.inside the csa government the diary of robert garlick hill kean... pat cleburne by brigadier general banner pace purdue howell and elizabeth purdue... cleburne and his command Capt. Irving A Buck.....
    Last edited by COL. Patrick R Cleburne; 08-10-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Biography of Ulysses Grant

Quote Originally Posted by KnynClust View Post
    Working on completing "The Last Cavaliers" By Samuel Carter III, a cool old read for people whom are interested in Civil War Cavalry History. Hopefully I can move onto "The Man Who Saved The Union", a Biography of Ulysses S. Grant by H.W. Brands.
    I am currently reading The Biography of Grant... Man It's an excellent must read!
    Jackrabbit

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    It is similar to McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom but three volumes and sympathetic to Southern folks.
    Of coarse It's sympathetic to the southern folk. Their economy tanked and the civilians had taken the hardest hit. It was a gruesome campaign that Sherman had set forward with. It could had been dealt with another way towards the end with rail supplies cut off, etc, but Lincoln needed that re-election and cost so many more lives that could had been saved.

USA Major

Grant and Twain.

CSA Brigadier General

Gettysburg Campaign Study Guide VOL 1 by Rea Andrew Redd

Quote Originally Posted by dogofspades View Post
    Gettysburg Campaign Study Guide VOL 1 by Rea Andrew Redd
    Studying to be a battlefield guide?

I'm reading "Diary of Battle" The personal Journals of Colonel Charles S. Wainwright. It can be mundane at times, lots of camp life details and very good insight into the day-to-day politics of the Army of the Potomac and leadership. For the serious student its great and seems to be quite the gem. Wainwright never published them. He apparently kept the journals to help with his own recollection and they weren't published until after 100 years after the family sold them, apparently knowing the value. He flat out states that he expects nobody else to ever read them. He's an artillery officer. IMO if you're into artillery and ever trying to put yourself there then it's a stellar read.
    Suggestion: Formations, Suppression, Spawning, Leadership https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqPsbvyD8s

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Studying to be a battlefield guide?

I'm reading "Diary of Battle" The personal Journals of Colonel Charles S. Wainwright. It can be mundane at times, lots of camp life details and very good insight into the day-to-day politics of the Army of the Potomac and leadership. For the serious student its great and seems to be quite the gem. Wainwright never published them. He apparently kept the journals to help with his own recollection and they weren't published until after 100 years after the family sold them, apparently knowing the value. He flat out states that he expects nobody else to ever read them. He's an artillery officer. IMO if you're into artillery and ever trying to put yourself there then it's a stellar read.
    I'm looking forward to the day that I become one - but still some ways off. The work you referenced by wainwright sounds very interesting indeed, even more intriguing that he chose not to publish them. Relics such as his personal diary can go for thousands to the right bidder. Was outbid recently on the original 31st Virginia Regiment Gettysburg Muster Roll... I wonder how much Wainwright's family sold them for...

USA Captain

Read Killer Angels not too long ago. Reading Gods and Generals now

Quote Originally Posted by dogofspades View Post
    Was outbid recently on the original 31st Virginia Regiment Gettysburg Muster Roll... I wonder how much Wainwright's family sold them for...
    It bugs me a fair amount when certain historical items fall into personal hands and access is restricted. The diary is good but it still cuts what he thinks isn't interesting out. Also the writer who purchased and wrote the book is getting big negative marks from me. He has a lot to say between excerpts, I've started skimming through those parts. He drips bias over everything and does things like matter-of-a-fact states Meade, McClellan failed or refused to follow up Antietam or Gettysburg. I'm a big fan of the public domain and not so much other people's dogma anymore. If not original scans of items then the transcripts. It's just messed up to leave invaluable historic documents locked away or only publishing parts. It's the sickest thing about so-called historians I've became familiar with. Historical Societies are the absolute worst. People who donate their collections to them are fools.

The written part of the guide testing process is the easiest part. I think around 30 people passed that part in 2017 out of 150 test-takers. I think the guide program will become less valid fast with technological options. They're still worth hiring though for one-time visitors 100%
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-13-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    Suggestion: Formations, Suppression, Spawning, Leadership https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqPsbvyD8s

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n