Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (Civil War related)

CSA Brigadier General

According to my Paperwhite, I'm 50% through Confederate Tide Rising by Joseph Harsh, 40% through Shelby Foote's first volume, and 35% through For Cause And Comrades by James McPherson. I've bought some really interesting titles, recently, in order to brainstorm a Masters thesis... I'll post more on that later,
    An unprofitable servant of Christ Jesus,

'Fighting' Chaplain Bradley
    Company Tool (Glitched) & Steam Profile

I have read tons of CW books, but quite honestly the two best have to be:

Hinman, Wilbur F"Corporal Si Klegg and his pard Shorty" An epic novel that was written episodically in newspapers by a veteran of Western Campaigns. Covers details about the soldiers you won't find anywhere else about a soldier's life during this era. Hinman was an officer and the novel was written from his experiences. If some situations seem similar to "Red Badge of Courage", it's because some accused Stephen Crane of stealing the diction from this novel.

DeForest, John "A Volunteer's Adventures". A memoir written by a novelist who enlisted as an officer in a Union regiment. His battle descriptions are still some of the most intense and detailed I've ever read.

I recently got into monument dedication speeches. They're almost always by veterans of the unit and are usually well thought-out because it's the enlisted and the junior officers' opinions and recounts. They wouldn't normally be the guys to publish books and reap in fame. Specifically I've been reading ones at Gettysburg. Most of these are in the public domain. There's no copyright after 100 years. So they're free to download / read. You can find them by Googling something like "Pennsylvania at Gettysburg" or "Michigan at Gettysburg" and go through the various units and their speeches when they dedicated their monuments. Gburg was the mecca for dedications and monuments so they generally encompass the entire civil war for the unit rather than a specific action.

https://archive.org/details/pennsylvaniaatge03penn
    Suggestion: Formations, Suppression, Spawning, Leadership https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqPsbvyD8s

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Brigadier General

Obligatory

The Anne Frank of the Army of Tennessee

Company Aytch.jpg

Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

CSA Major

Burnside by William Marvel.

I am always reading Civil War related stuff. I am currently reading John O. Casler's "Four Years In The Stonewall Brigade". It is a memoir of a private in the 33rd Virginia Company A (Potomac Guards). I am enjoying it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I recently got into monument dedication speeches. They're almost always by veterans of the unit and are usually well thought-out because it's the enlisted and the junior officers' opinions and recounts. They wouldn't normally be the guys to publish books and reap in fame. Specifically I've been reading ones at Gettysburg. Most of these are in the public domain. There's no copyright after 100 years. So they're free to download / read. You can find them by Googling something like "Pennsylvania at Gettysburg" or "Michigan at Gettysburg" and go through the various units and their speeches when they dedicated their monuments. Gburg was the mecca for dedications and monuments so they generally encompass the entire civil war for the unit rather than a specific action.

https://archive.org/details/pennsylvaniaatge03penn
    Wow, never knew. Thanks for that.
    In Game: RookCW

Quote Originally Posted by brentcarter View Post
    For the second time Stonewall of the West: Patrick Cleburne and the Civil War
    Is it a good read? I have it on my wishlist some time now, but haven't come around to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Singleton Mosby View Post
    Is it a good read? I have it on my wishlist some time now, but haven't come around to reading it.
    Yeah I like it! It is in depth but not that you loose yourself in little details. Paints a picture of the man and the situation he was in.
    All the key figures get there bit in this book which is very important.
    3rd Alabama Company A "Mobile Cadets"

CSA Brigadier General

Finished the Harsh and McPherson books. Still working on Shelby Foote's first volume.
    An unprofitable servant of Christ Jesus,

'Fighting' Chaplain Bradley
    Company Tool (Glitched) & Steam Profile