Thread: Civil War Themed beer

Nice!

In Hagerstown Maryland There is Antietam Brewery and they have a bunch of Civil War Themed Beers:

https://antietambrewery.com/beer/

Quote Originally Posted by CSHawkeye View Post
    Nice!

In Hagerstown Maryland There is Antietam Brewery and they have a bunch of Civil War Themed Beers:

https://antietambrewery.com/beer/
    I will have to check this out! If they do brewery tours with a tap room....I will definitely make it a point to go when I visit my fam in Maryland.

Dunker's Dunkelweissen looks good. not too many microbrewers brew dunkel.

USA President

I've been brewing my own beer for several years now and finally have the set up to brew anything possible. If anyone has a recipe for Civil War era beer to share I would like to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
    I've been brewing my own beer for several years now and finally have the set up to brew anything possible. If anyone has a recipe for Civil War era beer to share I would like to try it out.
    I would venture to say that birch beer or some sort of ale would be appropriate. Mostly the birch bee though. The syrup would be what the yeast would feed off of. Birch beer has been around since the 1600's and ale because of its higher optimal fermentation temperatures.

Found this in a civil war forum...
    "To every Gallon whereof, add a pound of refined Sugar, and boil it about a quarter or half an hour; then set it to cool, and add a very little Yeast to it, and it will ferment, and thereby purge itself from that little dross the Liquor and Sugar can yield: then put it in a Barrel, and add thereto a small proportion of Cinnamon and Mace bruised, about half an ounce of both to ten Gallons; then stop it very close, and about a month after bottle it; and in a few days you will have a most delicate brisk Wine of a flavor like unto Rhenish. Its Spirits are so volatile, that they are apt to break the Bottles, unless placed in a Refrigeratory, and when poured out, it gives a white head in the Glass. This Liquor is not of long duration, unless preserved very cool. Ale brewed of this Juice or Sap, is esteem'd very wholesome"

Do you live near kennesaw?

USA President

Anything birch would be a problem for me. Birch is kind of hard to come by in Louisiana