Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Harper's Ferry Thoughts, Suggestions, and Prayers

The 6th Louisiana Tigers & Stonewall Jackson's II Corps along with Timo's 6th Alabama working together to make a big push on "a bridge too far" https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDp8mSTWGnc
    *if the spawn point was right at the bridge point and not 150 yards away i think this could actually be a pretty epic map.
    STONEWALL JACKSON'S II CORPS
    MAJOR GENERAL PAIOLETTI
    Commander of the 6th Louisiana Tigers

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Thoughts

- Move the desertion lines, like we did for Burnside, so the defenders cant sit right at the end of the bridges.

- Pull the Cap Point back off the rail lines

- Add some make shift barricades ie chairs, tables, desks. furniture, rail ties rubble, ect.

- Alter some of the pristine town assets to reflect some damage Jackson's siege artillery bombardment would have done.
    Example: John Browns Firehouse could be in burnt remnants and the wall behind is now a waist high pile of ruble

I think adding some street clutter and broken/burnt town assets would not only make the already beautiful map feel more naturally war ravaged, but it would add more opportunities to get that gritty street to street fighting feel. Since this a non-historical scenario, we have to assume that Jackson would have rained down an almost unholy amount of artillery fire down from the heights prior to an infantry assault. I love the way the town feels currently but it almost feels TOO nice and comfy.

All in all, good work on the map so far and the other changes are headed in the right direction. Cant wait to see what fixes yall make to the bridge crossing. GJ CG

Last edited by J.Stockton; 03-26-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    Join Today
    Click Above

CSA Colonel

That diagram looks great, and I think would go a long way to fixing balance issues with the map in the game's current state. I do of course wonder what will happen to "balanced" maps once we get planned features like spawns on the flag bearer, but the changes outlined above would be a vast improvement until that time.

We did actually manage to win as CSA a few times in a row yesterday and with significant numbers on too. Although it probably had a lot to do with disorganized Union defense. We were able to get across the bridge to the wooden shack, then reload and press them back. The Union solders at the time didn't even try to charge us out of the town, we never even fixed bayonets while holding what is shown as the "cap point" on Lt. Col. Stockton's diagram.

CSA Brigadier General

I really do like that diagram and it would help the meta like with burnsides.
    "May we find a fruitful path in our endeavours, and show strength to our enemy's as we gallantly charge to meet them on the field of battle!"-
    Captain of the 11th MS Company F "Noxubee Rifles"

CSA Captain

Loving all of the suggestions, guys. Says a lot about this community's testers that we're able to so quickly assess the situation and adapt to it.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA Lieutenant General

Not at all keen on those boundaries. The problem with Burnside's Bridge was that the Confederates grouping up at the other side of the bridge put them completely out of sight from the Union until they actually crossed, whereas here the bridge is completely flat so that Confederates can actually shoot back at a distance. Plus, the Confederates can still form in front of Burnside's Bridge, just not on the bridge or road itself. And blocking the Union from defending the opposite end of the railroad bridge makes the pontoon bridge pretty much useless.

CSA Captain

The Confederates can not effectively shoot back across the bridge, as we have roundball and buck shot against your minie. Plus, you have the added benefit of the V-wall right there next to the bridge as it is.

Why are we stuck on this "Well BUUUURNSIIIIDE!!!" narrative? Both maps are a problem, no one is debating that. Stop using one poorly performing map to defend another.

USA Lieutenant General

Calm down there, buddy. I was talking about the boundaries, not the weapons. Get the weapons changed, don't try to handicap the Union to the point where they can barely stop a bridge-crossing attempt at all.

I mentioned Burnside because you all are, and it's the only other map that it can be effectively compared to. Burnside's Bridge has gotten better, we just often lack the coordination necessary to punch through. The suggested boundaries above would almost flip the map to being unbalanced the other way, especially with artillery being added.

CSA Captain

A simple weapon change by itself isn't going to do much, if anything. You can fire on the bridge from the v-wall, from a side angle no less.

I mentioned Burnside as an example as to why this map is underperforming, not as an excuse or a "yeah but."

USA Lieutenant General

A weapon change, plus the increased Confederate tickets, plus the increased artillery will do something. If the Confederates pour a massive volley directly across the bridge before they charge, there shouldn't be much left when they get there after running the gauntlet. At least the changes are coming quicker these days, compared with when the Union players had to bash their heads against a wall all last summer.