Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading problems

Loading problems

Loading times have wildly increased and very often I never get in.

I'm also getting this pretty standard voice bug I've seen in other games where when you are loading you suddenly hear the voice chat of one team or another or the entire server. When with the loading never finishes like it hasnt been lately, sometimes I can listen in indefinitely. I usually have to ctrl-alt-delete and 'sign out' just to get out at all. Very often I'll get 1-3 seconds of everyone's voice chat no matter if the server lets me in good or not.

Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

I couldn't get in to any server late tonight. There were 18 people in Antietam and 1 other person in a drill camp. Nobody else. I tried two drill camps and Harper's Ferry. Just stuck at the loading map screen each time. I usually have to use ctrl-alt-del to quit the game.

The loading times were heavily increased in the last update due to the introduction of precached characters.

Thank you for the report regarding hearing all players. I also noticed your screen turn to your desktop for a second, did you alt-tab during the loading process?

- Trusty

There may be a bug with the loading screen not dissapearing. Next time it happens, you can try and open the console, (tilde), the key to the left of 1 and type

sys_flash=0

This will disable all the UI so you wont be able to spawn. But you should be able to see the map being rendered, and if that is the case, this is a UI issue.

Thanks for the report.

As Trusty has quite rightly said in one of our recent patches we have been making an effort to improve performance at the cost of a slightly longer load time. However if the issue persists you can disable pre-caching by opening the console and entering the following command g_eq_preloadMode 0. I only recommend this if you are not able to play at all as it comes at a hefty performance cost. As ever when getting issues with the game please use the error-reporter located here: https://warofrights.com/ErrorReporter and follow the instructions.

- Michael

CSA Major

Yup, it's pretty aggrevating now on the loading times and suffer the same issues as Poorlaggedman. It is most noticeable when the server is busy.
    I find it the most concerning issue with the alpha right now; the tendency to stick on loading, or to not load at all, and to then have trouble exiting the game (often with a crash).

EDIT: More often than not, my game will load and then jump back to the introduction screens (CFG, etc etc) and then do nothing.
    Last edited by Leifr; 04-22-2018 at 09:50 PM.

CSA Major

i have been stuck at loading screen for 15min i am waiting to see if i ever get in
    i dont crash it just stays at the loading screen will keep it going to see how long it goes

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    The loading times were heavily increased in the last update due to the introduction of precached characters.

Thank you for the report regarding hearing all players. I also noticed your screen turn to your desktop for a second, did you alt-tab during the loading process?

- Trusty
    Yes I always alt-tab to quit the game and usually have to sign out of windows (an alternative to restarting). Also the video for some reason formatted zoomed in and I didn't notice it did that way.

I'd really like to see this and some of the other issues with the interface fixed up before too terribly long. I'd appreciate a responsive and functional way to cancel connecting to a server, it can be real nice to have to better recover from an issue like that.

Shift tabbing to steam while I wait to load in has also became nearly impossible (unresponsive).

Occasionally I get layers of screens on top of each other. I'll be on the role selection screen and try checking servers and it's just a jumbled mess of screens. One seems to take precedence over the others and without clearly exiting one first you end up with a mess. The victory music will also jumble with main menu music if you have the menu open at the time the round concludes (no big deal).

Also.... There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel selecting a role. Occasionally I want to check the server list while I'm selecting a role for various reasons. It would be nice later if we can simply spectate (on a spectator team list) or see a screen that explains what map we're on. Very often I don't know the map I'm on until I pick a role. The loading screen and the map don't always match up.

Also I joined a round just ending and then switched to Nicodemus Hill and I apparently connected in just as the victory screen went up. It proceeded to never go away no matter what I did until I restarted the game. I thought I had a video but it escapes me now or I deleted it.

Also just now I became permanently blind each spawn when I went back to desktop while waiting to spawn, that's a first. ^_^

Next I spawned in just as Hooker's Push ended and spawned on Hooker's Push scenario while eveyrone else spawned at Hagerstown Road. Not my day I guess. My selection screen still has the units from Hooker's Push so when I finally offed myself and respawned I still spawned as a Union Sharpshooter back at the Union spawn for Hooker's Push
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 04-23-2018 at 01:00 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Yes I always alt-tab to quit the game and usually have to sign out of windows (an alternative to restarting). Also the video for some reason formatted zoomed in and I didn't notice it did that way.

I'd really like to see this and some of the other issues with the interface fixed up before too terribly long. I'd appreciate a responsive and functional way to cancel connecting to a server, it can be real nice to have to better recover from an issue like that.

Shift tabbing to steam while I wait to load in has also became nearly impossible (unresponsive).

Also just now I became permanently blind each spawn when I went back to desktop while waiting to spawn, that's a first. ^_^

Occasionally I get layers of screens on top of each other. I'll be on the role selection screen and try checking servers and it's just a jumbled mess of screens. One seems to take precedence over the others and without clearly exiting one first you end up with a mess. The victory music will also jumble with main menu music if you have the menu open at the time the round concludes (no big deal).

Also.... There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel selecting a role. Occasionally I want to check the server list while I'm selecting a role for various reasons. It would be nice later if we can simply spectate (on a spectator team list) or see a screen that explains what map we're on. Very often I don't know the map I'm on until I pick a role. The loading screen and the map don't always match up.

Also I joined a round just ending and then switched to Nicodemus Hill and I apparently connected in just as the victory screen went up. It proceeded to never go away no matter what I did until I restarted the game. I thought I had a video but it escapes me now or I deleted it.
    The main reason why we can't give you the option to cancel currently is because the alpha doesn't currently support changing a level once it's loaded a WoR one. The main menu is a level - the second you join a server it will unload the main menu level and start loading the level of the server you chose. If we did give you one you'd see the same happen as when you try to leave a server to get back to the main menu.

This is currently the best way to shut down the alpha when it doesn't shut down correctly: open the task manager, go into the details tab and shut down the warofrights.exe that is running. No need to sign out of windows or reboot steam, etc.

Please provide more information regarding going blind when you spawn.

The in-game server browser screen is likely going to be removed soon. While we're not too far off from supporting you being able to head back into the main menu from one server and then joining another - joining a server while inside another server is an entirely different matter and likely won't be supported for a long time, if ever.

- Trusty

CSA Major

game is unplayable now not real happy about this want to play and stuck at loading screen
    please fix NOT REAL FUN