Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Civil War game Grand Tactician:Civil War

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Other than early in the war before the "Green" troops learned better you will seldom read of infantry "standing" in the open when not actively attacking. They will be prone or behind some cover.
    This is a touchy point in the community cause some believe line battles made up most of the war, now on the other hand the 'Maryland campaign' is still early in the war
    I've seen pictures/engravures where soldiers effectively took advantage of the terrain to have some form of cover or strategic advantage … that's is way different then slowly moving inline accross an open field.

About the game :
    Like Leifr said it's hard to tell, for me it looks more like a startup video to get people interested in the development.
    Last edited by Redleader; 05-05-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    It looks like a remake of Ultimate General: Civil War.

Best,
    Dman979
    I offer my opinion that while parts of your comment may be true, other parts of what I have seen from visiting their site a bit more in-depth, leads me to believe that this is way much more than Ultimate General.

With UGCW, you're stuck to a pre-scripted campaign, you can't change the out comes, you as player will go from one battle to the next until you either fail in your campaign or you do the final grand battle around Richmond or Washington. Organization of your military appears completely different, there is a world map that you work from, whereby you control the movements of forces. Meaning, you could have battles that didn't exist in real history.

I'll reserve judgement for now ... but if what I think I saw at their website is true this is definitely different.

This is kind of like a board strategy game gone electronic.

USA Major

You have to be careful when using pictures/engravures that are suppose to be depicting battles. They tend to be "heroic" in nature and factual. First person accounts tend to emphasis the dramatic rather than the lesser. Very seldom does the writer talk about how he lay down in ditch for an hour to keep out of the line of fire. However, if you come across a historian writing about the details between the fights you will find that Jackson kept most of his men at Antietam prone to reduce casualties. You will often see references to the mem being ordered to stand up and fire at Union regiments as they came out of the cornfield and into range of their guns.

But on the other hand when an attacker advance they would probably advance in line because that was about the only way the officers could control the formations. Likewise, the defender tended to probably be in close to line formation when they went from prone for the same reason. The officers had to keep the companies close enough together to give them orders if counter attack or withdrawal commands needed to be given. Not until the radio came into use could infantry avoid these restrictions and finally fight offensively in loose formations.
    Lightfoot

USA Sergeant

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

USA General of the Army

Kind of reminds me of Scourge of War and Ultimate General.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    Kind of reminds me of Scourge of War and Ultimate General.
    Not quite the same scale. The pictures on their web page show brigade level units but the 3D handling seems to be similar to Scourge of War. Hopefully without all the problems SoW had with keeping troops organized.

It looks like it is intended to be strategic level game of campaigns and possibly entire war but not much is shown as to how that is handled. Some kind of Strategic game with tactical battles being fought rather than automatically resolved.
    Lightfoot

RhettVito

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I'm really liking what I'm seeing from these folks.

CSA Lieutenant General

I LOVE Ultimate general: Civil war but if a game could be more of a mix of UG and the ACW Total war mod, I'd be in heaven.

Or maybe Im just wishing for UG with the graphics of ACW total war. regardless, my point remains.
    -Old Prospector, 6th LA, Company D

Ancestors all (but 2) died in the Battle & Siege of Vicksburg (Buried in Vicksburg National Military Park): LTG John C. Pemberton's Army of the Mississippi, MG John H. Forney's Divsion, Hebert's Brigade (38th Mississippi), BG William E. Baldwin's Brigade (4th Mississippi)

We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us.

RhettVito
    Grand Tactician update 2020

Last edited by RhettVito; 03-20-2020 at 10:23 AM.