Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: long time to load in game

It could be that my computer is aging. I do intend to upgrade. But it concerns me the volume of other people who are having the issue. Most of my WoR steam friends no longer play because of this. After a few weeks I had largely gave up on trying to get into servers except for after updates. It only takes a few go arounds with never-ending loads to become discouraged. I'm sure most people eventually expect the problem to be resolved and not eternal when they were previously able to play.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 05-21-2018 at 02:42 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Yeah, loading into the game is just awful now if it does work, it takes ages with any more than 50 people on a server, and even without 50 people or more it still takes a stupid amount of time, and it is certainly not me having a weak or aging PC.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Yeah, loading into the game is just awful now if it does work, it takes ages with any more than 50 people on a server, and even without 50 people or more it still takes a stupid amount of time, and it is certainly not me having a weak or aging PC.
    We have very few options here - let me explain.

The load time (when not getting stuck forever, we have yet to determine what is causing that or even replicate it ourselves which is why it’s important you use the error reporter) is due to the game loading all characters in. It does this to avoid a large amount of stuttering while you play (basically makes the spawn-in time of a character between 10 and 100 times quicker). Here are all possible changes we can make:

1: Keep all as it is.
    2: Remove the loading of the characters and thus drastically increasing the stutters while playing but decrease the load time.
    3: Make it so the game only loads the active skirmish area’s regiments and not the entire battlefield’s. This will reduce loading time on the skirmish servers but it won’t change anything on the drill camp servers (where all regiments are available). In the end we’ll end up with highly inconsistent load times. It will also freeze up the game 20 seconds or more after a skirmish has finished which increases the risk of the server dropping everyone.
    4: Remove a lot of regiments from the game in order to lessen the time required to load the remaining ones.

There are no other alternatives. Please let us know what you’d prefer.

- Trusty

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We have very few options here - let me explain.
    The load time (when not getting stuck forever, we have yet to determine what is causing that or even replicate it ourselves which is why it’s important you use the error reporter) is due to the game loading all characters in.
    - Trusty
    What makes up a character ?

• Entire model is rendered as one ? Meaning facials and uniform ?
    • Uniforms and looks are rendered differently.

Maybe there is a way to make it less heavy, well most of us know it takes a while and we know we're almost there when we hear crickets (if the dots on the loading screen stop moving … not a good sign )

I would of picked option 3, but the inconsistency and risks involved make it a bad choice

USA Major

number 2 seems fine, I can't talk for other but I feel like the stuttering in my case actually increased after the "loading" update.
    QM. Timo
    Click Picture To Enlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo420 View Post
    number 2 seems fine, I can't talk for other but I feel like the stuttering in my case actually increased after the "loading" update.
    We may include an options setting for you to turn it off should you so desire. This is only recommended if you’re running the game off of an SSD though.

- Trusty

CSA Major

maybe we can compromise here are my ideas

1. drill camp is used mostly for formation training and orders and shooting so it really doesn't matter what the uniforms are but there needs to be a way to choose the rifles so we can practice with each on also the pistols that should help the loading immensely instead of 30 units only one

2. skirmishes maybe just have one regiment per map per side that will decrease the time by 1/2 there and with the drill camp changes I would think people would see a major decrease in loading times
    if you do only one regiment per side rifles would need to be adjusted to some kind of percentage based also that should help you balance the maps with rifles also say like 25% 42s 25% enfields and so forth and so on

maybe this will help but if you don't fix the loading times and you try to go to steam with the way it is now you wont be able to find enough water for the fire storm that will ensure
    Last edited by sal_tuskin; 05-21-2018 at 01:30 PM.

CSA Captain

Keep it as is

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    Keep it as is
    +1

Appears to me the smartest solution.
    I mean, this is alpha and we should want to test the `Real deal` and should not circumvent difficulties. I would better like the devs to take care of the problems and try to solve them. My opinion.

CSA Major

the problem with keep as is if it stays that way and doesn't get any better and this goes open beta there will a shit storm of epic proportions from people who have potato computers and about 1/2 of the people playing have them

I have a 7.5 comp out of 10 and I really don't have a problem now but people with 4.5 and less wont have a chance just saying game needs to be able to be played by 90% of the people and I don't think that is currently happening at least not with the 100 or so I play with on a weekly basis