Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Add a fordable area on Burnside Bridge map

Quote Originally Posted by Bleddyn View Post
    Fording of the creek also transpired there, Captain John Griswold's 11th Connecticut is probably the best known example. (They were cut down before they made it across in case anyone doesn't know the story.) I am certainly not saying that if it happened in real life it should be in game, playability has to come before realism or nobody will play. However we should not dismiss it as something that didn't happen when it indeed did.

Griswold's ford point was believed to be a little south of the bridge, just outside the frame of Saris' example picture. A point where the Union soldiers can cross 1 or 2 wide but not turn left or right to walk down the creek itself, would fit nicely. The creek is said to have been deeper and faster flowing back then. That would account for having just one passable point, and the inability to hide against/under the bridge.
    I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm saying the holdup at the point wouldn't have been so long had Burnside indeed embraced fording it instead of keep ordering charges across the bridge. The main reason Burnside's Bridge is so well known is because of this - charge after charge.

- Trusty

Wasn't there an officer mortally wounded trying to cross to the right side of the bridge? I don't like how players aren't physically allowed to enter the water with an invisible wall. They should come to the same conclusion that the bridge is the best route but not just be prevented entirely. It should be very slow going and require a new 1st and 3rd person fording animation... maybe even ruining your cartridges once you cross. BTW, I have seen multiple people somehow glitch across the water on the left side but I've never managed to duplicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I would, however, be interested in experimenting with off-setting the team numbers (think 90 attackers against 60 defenders) on specific areas such as this one but in return even out the starting morale amounts a bit.
    ja.gif
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Wasn't there an officer mortally wounded trying to cross to the right side of the bridge?
    The officer I spoke of, Capt. John Griswold was mortally wounded but it was to the left side (from the Union perspective). This YouTube video claims to show the approx. location that the 11th Connecticut tried to cross.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I respectfully disagree.

According to this video. Pay attention around 8:35, and watch and listen to where the 11th CT goes.

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I respectfully disagree.
    And you may do so Sir.

The fact remains that Captain John Griswold with at least a portion of the 11th., was killed attempting to ford the creek even if the bulk of the regiment tried the bridge. I of course cannot say exactly where it happened. That is why my previous post uses the word "claims", because I have no possible way to verify it is correct based on that one video. I did make the assumption that someone who was on the spot making a video probably researched it more that I have however.

RhettVito
    Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Or maybe... rifle-pits?
    Yes, please!

CSA Major

wel the problem I see with the 60-90 thought is what do you do if you have more than 60 csa playing the preceding map do you just kick them from the server how do you choose who the 60 is cause If I was playing and I got kicked because of the 60 rule I would not be happy

the union can easlly win that map they just have to continue to push the bridge instead of sitting behind the stone wall and sniping all game and wonder why they lose even last nite the csa moved back to fenced and the union still hardly charged

I feel the the map is fine it is the union movements and strategy is why they have a problem with that map it can be won by the union

never a good idea to make people leave a server

Quote Originally Posted by sal_tuskin View Post
    wel the problem I see with the 60-90 thought is what do you do if you have more than 60 csa playing the preceding map do you just kick them from the server how do you choose who the 60 is cause If I was playing and I got kicked because of the 60 rule I would not be happy

the union can easlly win that map they just have to continue to push the bridge instead of sitting behind the stone wall and sniping all game and wonder why they lose even last nite the csa moved back to fenced and the union still hardly charged

I feel the the map is fine it is the union movements and strategy is why they have a problem with that map it can be won by the union

never a good idea to make people leave a server
    No one will be kicked from the server - once a skirmish area has ended and a new one begins you're presented with the faction selection screen (this is part of the alpha currently). The only difference is that one team will be unselectable (because it is full) sooner than it is currently.

- Trusty

CSA Major

so trusty you are saying if 150 are on the server on pervious map 75 union 75 csa what will happen that 15 csa will have to go union to be able to fight on that map
    again how do you u choose what 15 have to move and what happens if the 15 don't want to move then they cant play the csa side they want to play I don't feel that is a good solution either that's like making 15 union on harpers ferry play csa on the bridge crossing I see how well that will go over making union play csa or csa playing union

just saying trusty a lot of people don't like the other side lol maybe you can come up with other ideas and maybe let the testers choose by a poll what they prefer cause I don't think a lot will like to play on the other side much I maybe wrong but I doubt it

again thanks for work trusty

Quote Originally Posted by sal_tuskin View Post
    so trusty you are saying if 150 are on the server on pervious map 75 union 75 csa what will happen that 15 csa will have to go union to be able to fight on that map
    again how do you u choose what 15 have to move and what happens if the 15 don't want to move then they cant play the csa side they want to play I don't feel that is a good solution either that's like making 15 union on harpers ferry play csa on the bridge crossing I see how well that will go over making union play csa or csa playing union

just saying trusty a lot of people don't like the other side lol maybe you can come up with other ideas and maybe let the testers choose by a poll what they prefer cause I don't think a lot will like to play on the other side much I maybe wrong but I doubt it

again thanks for work trusty
    There are no 75 of either CSA or USA when a skirmish area starts. There are 150 unassigned players (all presented with the faction selection screen).

Some might not like to play as the other side but that is the nature of a balanced multiplayer game - While you generally can play the side you prefer you can't expect to do so 100% of the time.

- Trusty