Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: cannons

CSA Sergeant

Or just scale the teams down. One to reload and ram rod. One to aim and fire. thats it. I know it will not be historically accurate but thus limits the need for more players or AI. I think mostly people don't want performance to suffer so for that to occur you need to leave out the AI factor.

May be it would nice to use half battery at each side but just Napoleon guns for direct shooting and support of infantry of course with all options as towing of guns by horses, e.g. incidental overloading, fast loading with option to explode the barrel, etc., limited ammo, all crew members necessity, following the loading, measuring, even capturing the guns, no re-spawn option, etc. I think that to have the artillery half battery (2 barrels) cannot be wrong.
    Last edited by ltmoravcuk; 10-22-2018 at 03:34 PM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ltmoravcuk View Post
    May be it would nice to use half battery at each side but just Napoleon guns for direct shooting and support of infantry of course with all options as towing of guns by horses, e.g. incidental overloading, fast loading with option to explode the barrel, etc., limited ammo, all crew members necessity, following the loading, measuring, even capturing the guns, no re-spawn option, etc. I think that to have the artillery half battery (2 barrels) cannot be wrong.
    A Half battery can be affective, hell a full battery of 4 is still not too much for the larger battle maps they're planning, even with shot and shell. on a skirmish map, a half is good, on a full map full battery.
    I reckon hill sides will become far more important once cannon are brought in, and there'll be a fair bit of counter battery fire at that.
    it was always fun to follow the Union Cannon with our own, at engagements they'd fire in sequence and we'd continue in line with them. made for a crowd pleaser, especially when you got big smoke rings floating down the battlefield.

I would say however that by 62 there were a number of various howitzers and smoothbore guns in use, the old brass "napoleons" which were huge 12lb things and allsorts of 6lber guns. If i'm honest, i'd likely stick to the 6lbers and small howitzers, this would allow a fair bit of shooting but not wipe out a large portion of a line in one hit.
    would be nice to have to manually cut the fuses too to judge distance, and I think binoculars or at least a telescope needs to make an appearance, perhaps not for the firer but the crew/gun sergeant to watch the fall of the shot.

Canister/grape shot will be rather fun, "hey lads, charge that loaded battery!"

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
    Canister/grape shot will be rather fun, "hey lads, charge that loaded battery!"
    I would pay 10 Pesos to see this happen in-game lol

I regularly watch WoR on YouTube and I have to say the sound and occasional concussive effects of the AI artillery really adds to the game. As an observer I would suggest they up the frequency of it slightly.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I think you'll find there are quite a few "former" reenactors here, (myself included,) and you will find quite a few who are still reenacting as well.

Looking back, I wish I knew then what I know now, I might have changed branches of service, from infantry to artillery.
    I did the opposite, changed from Artillery to Infantry. I started off in The Washington Arillery of New Orleans firing Parrotts, six and twelve pounders, great experience. If Campfire Games make their Artillery as detailed as they made firing a rifle then it could work, because it will be hard, otherwise I can't see it working.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    Supposedly, CryEngine 5.5/5.6 adds built-in support for AI behaviors including navigation / movement, perception / target selection, cover system, weapon usage, behavior tree, faction identities, etc. As such, if the CG developers choose to upgrade War of rights from 5.4 to 5.5/5.6, it might be much easier to add AI than previously thought.

https://www.cryengine.com/roadmap
    Thats nice
    But there is a great difference in AI for "random" FPS games and AI, which has to fight in formations and using the correct civil war drill, which flag bearers, officers, musicians and such.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I did the opposite, changed from Artillery to Infantry. I started off in The Washington Arillery of New Orleans firing Parrotts, six and twelve pounders, great experience. If Campfire Games make their Artillery as detailed as they made firing a rifle then it could work, because it will be hard, otherwise I can't see it working.
    Where as here in the UK we had little 24" jobs with a 2" bore max, someone in the home office clearly didn't want us shelling the next town over.
    shame.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    ... If Campfire Games make their Artillery as detailed as they made firing a rifle then it could work, because it will be hard, otherwise I can't see it working.
    I can vouch for the detail of the models.

And I have zero concern that the developers will be able to get all the stations in a gun crew where they need to be eventually.

USA Captain

Cool Artillery

I think for skirmish maps have non mobile artillery or possibly none on the smaller maps though when the bigger maps release mobile artillery is the go and really has to be as if the dev's release the full map of antietam the arty will have to move around and up the line. i also hope it will take 4+ to man a canon and the balls fly across the map and bounce a bit on certain terrain angles like M&B anyways can't wait till the arty releases.
    Recon