Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Poor Harper's Ferry...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I still disagree with the musket shake and as a reenactor, can say through 10 years experience that it doesn't take that period of time to steady a musket nor is it that shaky but maybe that'll be looked at in the future. As far as the movement stuff time will tell whether it makes it in-game.
    We're very much aware that the gun sway in-game is higher than in "real life". This is due to a mixture of both game mechanics and trying to simulate the nerves and fear of a horrible death the soldiers faced on the field.

The majority of weapons of the Civil War were more accurate than the most used during the napolenoics due to rifling/minie balls used. From a gameplay perspective, lowering the gun sway amount when aiming to a degree (for example like it is in real-life) would result in far less lines being able to form and fight. The only other solution to this than a simulated combat environment aiming solution is to downright make the weapons less accurate (which I imagine would make a lot of people upset also). Besides that, unlike similar games, we have realistic bullet ballistic, which would make the line combat even harder, if there wouldn't be gun sway.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    We're very much aware that the gun sway in-game is higher than in "real life". This is due to a mixture of both game mechanics and trying to simulate the nerves and fear of a horrible death the soldiers faced on the field.

The majority of weapons of the Civil War were more accurate than the most used during the napolenoics due to rifling/minie balls used. From a gameplay perspective, lowering the gun sway amount when aiming to a degree (for example like it is in real-life) would result in far less lines being able to form and fight. The only other solution to this than a simulated combat environment aiming solution is to downright make the weapons less accurate (which I imagine would make a lot of people upset also). Besides that, unlike similar games, we have realistic bullet ballistic, which would make the line combat even harder, if there wouldn't be gun sway.
    Fair enough Hinkel... didn't mean to overly-criticize. You guys have so much to balance and it's easy for someone to say they like or don't like something without considering how it's connected with other stuff and I can respect the decisions that must be made. It's one of the things that's always bothered me as it takes the rhythm out of "ready... aim... fire!" Just about every time I play I hear officers calling for the "fire" part of it before the ranks have steadied their muskets not necessarily knowing that the sway hasn't settled down yet and no doubt it throws off accuracy a great deal.

CSA Major

One of the reasons I quit coming here to the forums, and quit playing the game, is because of all the whining and crying about what the game isn't and what the game "should be". That and the rage quitting and petty squabbles mid game. It ruins the experience. I see nothing has changed.
    Pvt. L.J. Perreira

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by LJPII View Post
    One of the reasons I quit coming here to the forums, and quit playing the game, is because of all the whining and crying about what the game isn't and what the game "should be". That and the rage quitting and petty squabbles mid game. It ruins the experience. I see nothing has changed.
    I sure hope you're not referring to me. I bring plenty of positivity to these forums, and in the alpha phase the feedback we provide is what WILL make this game better in the long-haul. I have very few things I dislike and this happens to be one of them. But then again you've abandoned the game completely so why come back here and say anything at all?

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I'm going to give Harpers Ferry some love here as there seems so little of it in this thread. I live 20 minutes from there currently and believe it to be one of the most scenically beautiful spots in the United States east of the Mississippi. Just to see a historical representation of a place that I visit regularly is amazing in it's own right and sometimes I just want to walk around and look at the buildings and forget there's a fight going on. And town battles which were relatively uncommon in the Civil War compared to field battles offer a unique opportunity to fight in a different way, building to building, through alleys, etc. and is something that ADDS more to this game at this point than simply adding more fields/woods at lets say South Mountain that doesn't offer much variance of tactics.

You have to skirmish for the most part but it provides that experience that skirmishers had when trying to clear a town of sharpshooters for example before the main body of the army moved in like what occurred in Fredericksburg. This was prevalent throughout the Civil War and I'm glad to see it represented in this game early on. I also appreciate the amazing number of maps the developers have provided in these early phases of Alpha.

As a reenactor for Civil War, French & Indian War, and Revolutionary War, the town battles are always coveted as they force us to vary tactics (as leaders had to historically), and there's nothing that gets your blood moving like turning the corner of a building and seeing a line of enemies getting ready to fire a volley into you. On the same note there is something that gets quite boring after you've done a few hundred field battles so I think what will happen as this game matures is people will begin to better appreciate Harpers Ferry for the variety it offers over the long haul.
    I agree with this on many levels!
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

CSA Sergeant

Yeah i like the variety of the HF maps. I mean how many cornfields and fence lines can you fight in before they all blur into one. Also think when Artillery is implemented that crossing the bridge or other tough advances may be easier. While not historically accurate the town fighting at HF adds a different dimension to the gameplay.

I guess i'm echoing Shiloh's comments.

CSA Captain

If there is one set of maps that should be skirmish maps, then surely it's the HF scenario no? Also it's always wise to remember the bigger picture here ( IF there actually is a bigger picture) in that it's meant to be the Maryland campaign. Harpers Ferry will make more sense then than it does right now I think. IF they still plan on a campaign mode then I imagine Harpers Ferry will be important, otherwise it makes no sense to include it.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Gun sway and accuracy is just about perfect. Don't change it pls.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by LJPII View Post
    Well that was a productive post, thank you.

Rifle sway i've not found to be terrible, mostly because my noodle arms holding a real rifle sway similarly. Accuracy wise they're spot on, it's a challenge to hit things but once you've practiced a bit it does get better, I like the balance and I think CG have done well with that one.
    It is true that the Civil war era rifle was highly accurate, Look at Berdan's sharpshooters, who's entry requirement was 10 rounds in a 10" (25cm) diameter circle at 200 yards! not many could do it but that and the rifle shooting comps in the UK with the Enfield showed that the "modern rifle" of the time was deadly far further than most of what had come before.

Map wise I really rather like the street fighting on harpers ferry, buck and ball really is king close in, but the charge across the pontoon and rail bridge? that is a killer, i've played that so many times and we (the confederates) have never taken the union position, held briefely yes but i've never seen it done. maybe with a few 5" howitzers however...

This map still needs some love. I want it in the game but the predictable lemming-like suicide Rebel attacks and the down time between each of them is both tedious and repetitive.

All I would suggest is reduce the timer by around 25% and the team tickets proportionally. It goes for way too long.